Help Me Find a Blackmouth Cur Puppy

blopez50

Well the wife has baby fever. It's a kid or a puppy and I'm not done buying guns so that only leaves one option. We've kicked it around and done quite a bit of reading and we'd like to have a blackmouth cur. The dog will be a pet first and foremost. It will get plenty of exercise and I hope to work with it on shed hunting. It won't be a decoy or hunting dog so those traits are not important to me.

Our hope is that we can find something to bring home around the first of the year as we both have a pretty nice chunk of free time around then.

I appreciate any help you guys might be able to give!

My wife has one as a house dog.Came from Old Yellow Kennel in Tupelo,Miss.Howard Carnathan had this line of dogs,but he was having health issues 4-5 years ago and may no longer be with us.I picked the first up at his home 15+ years ago.I dealt with his son Russ on the one we have now.

Thanks for the leads so far guys. I know this will be a somewhat tricky venture. I want a good dog, but I don't want one that will necessarily be the best hunter. I've got some emails in to a few people and am trying to find a good pet!

Look into Chesapeake Bay retrievers. My neighbor's dog hunts and then turns it off and is the family dog when they are through, very good with kids and sure doesn't require lots of attention and training.

Don't know if you're stuck on a treeing type cur?.. If you're wanting a BMC with some size on it Youngs Curs has a few pups for sale right now. They're Foundation Bred a bit bigger and bred for larger game hogs and herding cattle just google foundation Black mouth curs. Youngs are from the Wetherford's Ben blood line. Here's a link... click here I have one and I could brag on him from now on. He herds the grandsons away from the street, lets them pull to their feet by his mouth (I swear he stops breathing until they're up) then sneak in a lick from chin to forehead. lol at 7 months I saw a 50 lb mt cur jump on him and he folded him up like he was nothing. My mt cur pup has bit him playing and he yips in pain but won't hurt it.. Never seen any dog that knows when to turn it on and off like he does. You won't be disapointed.

Roi at 75 lbs

Lot of guys have been trying the BMC's here but they are just not doing it. I think it is a combination of steep and hogs that just flat out run... but they are getting out run A LOT! Now when they get one stopped, they are doing well but the BMC's we are seeing out this direction just don't have enough gas in their tanks to hang with the McNabs or the Cat's.

Back