.223 - Nosler Partition or TSX?

Theshedhunter

I am planning on loading up some deer hunting bullets for my new Ruger American .223. My son is going to use it for his first deer hunt. I have 60 gr. Nosler Partitions on hand, but have been hearing so much good stuff about the Barnes TSX bullets I was considering buying some to load and try out, possibly 62 gr. Would like to hear some first hand knowledge from someone who has shot deer with both bullets.

Rifle: 1:8
Powder: IMR 4064

Thanks!

I can't speak about the TSX but I have shot a couple of deer with the 60 partition and it performed perfectly. broadside hits behind the shoulders and were wedged under the hide of the far side.both were DRT.

Originally Posted By: NampaNewbieI can't speak about the TSX but I have shot a couple of deer with the 60 partition and it performed perfectly. broadside hits behind the shoulders and were wedged under the hide of the far side.both were DRT.

I am a Barnes user since 1992, but, I can't argue with success!

If you decide to try Barnes, I would suggest go lighter in bullet weight to maybe the 50gr.

60g Nosler makes a larger wound cavity than the triple shock at these velocities, but both will perform nicely.

Try 24 and 25g of 4064 with the 60g nosler, if no pressure signs, go a tad higher and use a thick cup primer such as the 7 1/2,CCIbr4, or CCI450. Accuracy will probably be at peak pressure or close to it.

Accuracy of 1 1/2" at 100 yds is plenty good enough for deer.

Good luck

I haven't shot the Barnes at all, so I can't give you any input except to say that it won't hurt to try them. As for the Partitions, we have shot a bunch of hogs with the 60gr out of our ARs and if the shots were anywhere near the intended POI it was a dead hog. They perform as advertised. The only down side is that I have never gotten them under 1.5" with any consistency. But I can live with the 1.5" groups to get the killing power that we are getting with them.

I like them both. Never recovered the X-bullet but have recovered the partition. They both work very good. Do like I do and shoot both!

Originally Posted By: marco Do like I do and shoot both!

Isn't that double trouble? They are basically the same purpose bullet. I'd find the one that shoots the best from my rifle and be done with it. If you're shooting a game bullet and a varmint bullet that's a different story.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I am going to purchase some of the TTSX bullets and give them a try alongside the partitions. Whichever one shoots the best out of the RAR will get the nod, since apparently they both are outstanding deer killin bullets! Getting ready for the youth 2 day deer hunt tomorrow and Friday. Kids get to hunt before the general season opens next weekend, so the chances are good! I saw a lot of nice bucks during bow season so I will try to put him on one in the morning!

Let us know how they shoot, I couldn't get them to group well in my Grendel for some reason. USually nothing but god things said about them.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTTSX. (not the older design TSX) . Theyre pretty much the same except for the first t.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTTSX. (not the older design TSX) . Theyre pretty much the same except for the first t. Not unless you have a real loose understanding of "pretty much the same".

Example: Men and women are physically "pretty much the same".

The ttsx nose cavity was changed to accept a polymer tip. Not exactly a full redesign. More along the lines of hair color than genitalia.

How did the hunt go?

Either bullet will kill deer as pretty as you please.

I run 70gr TSXs out of my 1-8 and love them. I prefer them to all others in 223. If loads somewhat reduced, go with the 62s.

I wanna see some pics.........

Back