6.5 Creedmoor powders - your favorite so far?

Hidalgo

You guys that have worked loads for your Creedmoors ... what powder gave you the best results? I'm going to start strictly with 120 grain bullets at this time and work on the 140s later on. I have 8# of H4350 on hand and am going to start with it, although I do have about a pound of Varget also. From my research so far, everyone seems to like the H4350 for the 120 grain bullets. Hodgdon shows a starting load of 40.5 grains, and a max compressed load of 45.0 grains. Not sure I want to venture into the compressed load territory, though. I'm thinking starting at 41.0 and going up slowly from there?

Not looking for exact data, but a general idea would be appreciated.

Hidalgo, im not at home, but my experience so far has been tge best with h4350, it is the go to powder from everything I have read, I had good reaults with imr4350 too. Ive only run 140 berger vlds at the moment, but loading them long. The loads arent compressed. My berger ogive measurements are at 2.270. Thats jam length, seated a bullet using the bolt. H4350 has a max load of 41.0 grains in the nosler book, and 40.7 in the berger. For 140s. Ive gone as high as 41.7 with no signs of pressure (in my rifle). Need anymore info. Pm me and I'll pull out my data book,

Edit; compressed loads are measured at saami lengths, loading longer uncompresses and reduces pressure for the same load, better velocitieswith less pressure is possible

Last edited:
Where ever H or IMR 4350 is good, Rl-17 should also be looked at.

The burn is very close, but the velocities are almost always higher. Accurate too.
wink.gif

believe it or not, but superpreformance under a 120gr ballistic tip goes .3" at 100 yards. imr4350 did not work so well, but your gun may be differnt.

tc encore with 16 1/4" mgm heavy factory barrel

I have used in no certain order or preference....these are the ones I remember.
CFE223
Varget
Reloder 17
IMR4007SSC
AR Comp
IMR4350
H4350
N150

My current load is N150 with the 123gr Amax.

I am on my third one to load for and some of that was due to H4350 being the "Go TO" powder which there was NO "go to" place to buy the stuff so I looked at alternatives. 6.5mm CM is easy to load for because all worked well in the accuracy with CFE223 being the worst but not bad. Reloder 17 was the fastest velocity wise but also "unobtainium" around here back then.
I just used what I had in stock honestly.
I might also add that a friend swears by H414 with the 120gr Hornady.

After loading for 3 of them, you should have it figured out by now.

Don't be surprised if I end up flooding your message box with 37,368 questions when I start on mine next week ...
lol.gif
wink.gif

I think I'm going with the H4350 and also run a few with Varget. Surely I can get it "good enough" until I have time to do a few more.

Hornady used those two H4350 and Varget in their Match ammo so I think you won't have to look too hard to find good results.
I do like the 123gr AMax's by the way. I have shot steel with them to 1150 yards and killed deer with them.

Which manual carries reload data? I have several and can't find it. Maybe it's time for a new one. I've seen the online nosler.

Just like everything else....H-4350, the greatest powder ever invented...I've never seen anything from 25/06 to .338 wm that it didn't work awesome in...if you had to own only one powder for your entire life, this would be it without question.. H-4350 as good as it gets in real cases..

Back