860 pound net wt grizzly killed in Mendocino County, CA!

Airedale56

Did I mention it was around 1882? This is a great book, by the way.

“About one year from that time I succeeded in getting up a hunting party, and we went up into the mountains in Mendocino county, where we found game in abundance, deer, elk and bear. I stayed out in the mountains nearly three months, during which time I killed the largest grizzly bear I have ever seen, weighing net, eight hundred and sixty pounds. This bear I killed at one shot, and it is the only grizzly that I ever killed at one shot in all my hunting.”

Excerpt From: Capt. WilliamF. Drannan. “Thirty-One Years on the Plans and in the Mountains: Or The Last Voice from the Plains. An Authentic Record of a Life Time of Hunting, Trapping, Scouting and Indian Fighting in the Far West.” B&R Samizdat Express. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=411865025

Sounds like a good read. I'm all for reintroducing Grizzlies back into California. And wolves too while we're at it!

If books like that interest you look up "Journal of a trapper" by Osbourne Russell. Excellent details of the 1830's Rocky Mountains and its natives and animals and geography.

We don't need Wolves or Grizzly's here... the Lions and the Dumbocrats are already doing enough to ruin our hunting.

Largest Black Bear ever KILLED in the Boon and Crocket Record books is from Mendocino County. There is a good chance that the next record typical Blacktail comes from here as well.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterIf books like that interest you look up "Journal of a trapper" by Osbourne Russell. Excellent details of the 1830's Rocky Mountains and its natives and animals and geography.

I've read it 3 times..

Journal of a Mountain Man by James Clyman is a good read, also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterSounds like a good read. I'm all for reintroducing Grizzlies back into California. And wolves too while we're at it!

If books like that interest you look up "Journal of a trapper" by Osbourne Russell. Excellent details of the 1830's Rocky Mountains and its natives and animals and geography.
Wolves are already here and there will be plenty of them before to long. Hard to believe California had more brown bears than any state in the lower 48 at one time. Grizz I found this.
European settlers began to populate California, the grizzly killed livestock and interfered with the rancheros. Mexican caballeros roped grizzlies, dragging them into doomed public battles with wild bulls.[citation needed] This popular spectator sport inspired betting as to whether the bear or the bull would win. One account is that Horace Greeley, after seeing such a fight, gave the modern stock market its "bear" and "bull" nicknames — based on the fighting styles of the two animals: the bear swipes downward while the bull hooks upward. Less than 75 years after the discovery of gold, every grizzly bear in California had been tracked down and killed. The last hunted California grizzly was shot in Tulare County, California in August 1922. Later, in 1924, a grizzly known to roam an area of the southern Sierras was spotted for the last time, and thereafter, grizzlies were never seen again in California

Do a search William F. Drannan has over the years been proved as a liar and it is reported he did not write the books his wife did. They are a great read.

Back