(ANTELOPE DOWN!) What a WEEK! Updated

Ursus21

I know I posted a few of these photos of the coyotes earlier last week, but it was such a great week it's worth repeating.
wink.gif
So last week the itch to get out and do some hunting and fishing just got to be too much to bear. So I just had to scratch that itch. I have a couple rancher friends that are having a lot of trouble with coyotes and I was more than happy to help them out.

I'm pretty sure the fall colors right now and cooler temperatures have a lot to do with that itch. Here's a nice little piece of property I have permission to coyote hunt on.
HighwoodsFallB_zpsc7d3a495.jpg

Called in a pair and was able to get the male on the ground last Wednesday.
TroyCoyote10-8-14_zps88164f33.jpg

I had so much fun Wednesday after work I decided to give it another go Thursday after work. Wow, what a great decision. I called up 6 coyotes and put 5 of them on the ground.
First stand produced this double.
Troycoyote10-9-14D_zps93948c64.jpg

I got a double on the next stand, and then a single on the last stand. Three stands and dead coyotes on all of the. How often does that happen?
Troycoyote10-9-14A_zpscff7cf0f.jpg

Took Friday off to watch my son's football game. Saturday I spent the morning trying to fill my antelope tag. I was not successful. Around 10am I went and helped a friend cut wood for his winter supply. Before I left I asked if I could fish on his place for a half hour or so. I'm glad I asked. The scenery alone is worth the price of admission.
HighwoodsFall_zpse8fa2add.jpg

The fishing was great as well. Landed this hawg of a rainbow. I call him a two-hander because he's too big to get one hand around.
Troy10-11-14A_zpsb1007928.jpg

Also got this great 21.5" brown. Had he had the girth of the rainbow I might have had a new taxidermy bill.
Troy10-11-14C_zps495114e8.jpg

I spent the rest of the afternoon chasing around a specific antelope buck. I burned a lot of calories but no gun powder. Things just didn't come together. It doesn't help that he has 20 does with him. That is a lot of eyes to beat. Hopefully he will make a mistake this week and I hope to be there when he does. Stay tuned.
smile.gif

Well it took the better part of a week, but I finally caught up with that sucker on Thursday. I had my youngest son with me and we put on a great mile and a half stalk on the buck. Killed him with one shot through the lungs at 280 yards. This is the first year my son has been with me while hunting big game. While the buck is one of the smallest I've ever killed, the experience was BIG in terms of spending quality time with my son.
TroyAdamsAntelope10-16-14A_zpsfed9d349.jpg

After loading the antelope in the pick up, we were greeted by this great sunset on the way home. Life is good!
HighwoodsSouth_zps9cb4069c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice indeed. Can't wait to have the opportunity to see more than one coyote at one time. I have a feeling it's going to happen very soon.

Joshua, if you are in Utah that shouldn't be too big of a problem. There is no shortage of coyotes if you get far away from the SLC/Provo areas.

Back