Olympic Arms K16 Performance

FROSTYSHOT

I recently placed a K16 on layaway. Just wondering how many other hunters out there are using this rifle and what type of performance have you experienced? Feel free to post pics. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had a K-16 and it was a pretty good shooter but the trigger was terrible, lots of creep and heavy. I never had any misfires or jams and it shot everything well that I fed it. For what it is it's a pretty decent ar but with that said, there is definitely better out there. It fit my budget and my needs well at the time and put some fur down. I had no regrets with my purchase and wouldn't mind another one in the future but I would definitely have an aftermarket trigger in it. Congrats on your new toy and happy trails.

I've had 2 and enjoyed them both. Triggers on most ARs are pretty bad but easily replaced. They are not very popular on a few forums but I would own another.

Yes
I have heard about the "Bad Years" of production in the Olympics. I also read that the models produced in the last 15 or so years have been pretty nice minus the typical stock AR trigger. I have heard and read that the barrels in the Bull Barrel models are quite accurate since they are non-chromed. Thinking about a Timney replacement for the stock trigger, I'm going to be using mine for coyote, fox, bobcat, and a occasional whitetail. Should have my K16 in a few weeks, can't wait!! If anyone has pics of their K16's or game taken feel free to post your pics here. Thanks fellas.

I bought a K16-SST for my first rifle. The trigger was like the others said but I cleaned it up and it was good enough till I replaced it with a Timney. I tore it down to change things up but I still have the barrel and plan to build another upper with it.

I had Mike at Dtech order me a K16 about 8 years back. It has the bull barrel and is very accurate. Mike did a trigger job on the stock trigger before I picked it up at his shop which helped it to be a good shooter. I used it as a varmint getter for a couple years but it was pretty heavy to carry on long hunts. I then had Mike build me an upper in 6X45 which I put on a Double Star lower and it became my primary varmint gun. The K16 is now my "truck gun" and still fun to do some plinking with.

My K16 finally arrived today. I am pleased at the fit and finish along with the stock trigger. I mounted my Zeiss scope in the Burris rings tonight. Hopefully I can sneak off to the range tomorrow and run some rounds through the gun. Our deer season opens on Nov. 22, might try to double up on a Buck and Boar this weekend in the Bankhead National Forest. No shortage of hog sign in the mountains!!!

The gun is a shooter .75 moa at 100 yards with the stock trigger and factory loaded 62 grain Federal Fusion ammo. Really looking forward to this Saturday!!

Back