AR questions

champ198

would really like to get an AR for predators and just all around fun shooting.
I already have a 223 gun so was wondering other than the 223 what kind of caliber would you all suggest.
and also is there huge differences in the cheaper ARs over the more higher end ones? mainly looking for something to start out with but know nothing about ARs
one of the shops we have here has one for $500. it's a cheaper gun I am sure but I can't remember the brand on it. think it had an Omni lower rec and was just a plain jane 16"barrel flat top style gun
also if you all were going to build an AR from scratch how hard is it to do and what lower and upper rec would you go with?
pretty mechanicly inclined and thought about going that route and just build my own so I could build it the way I want it
so what are your alls opinions

You will need a few special tools to barrel it other than that, nothing special. Really unless your looking for a competition gun, almost any upper/lower will work.
I prefer to avoid the poly lowers.

Get on Youtube and type in "How to build an AR upper/lower" you will see how to do it and can pause it, rewind it and so on. You will also be able to see what tools are necessary and what tools just make it easier. Lots of videos out there.

Chupa

One of the things about an AR is that you will lose some brass and they can be a little hard on brass. So since 223/556 is so readily and cheaply available, it doesn't "hurt" as much when you lose some cases while blasting prarie dogs or what have you. But if you are shooting 17 Rem. or 204R you hate to see that brass go flying.

Of course if your not a reloader then maybe that won't bother you, but even if your not, that brass can be sold to offset your shooting costs.

If you do reload, then you can do something like the 20Prac, or some other variant that is easily made off of 223 brass. Of course you can do the 300BLk but unless your running a suppressor I don't see the sense in that.

If you don't mind chasing cases and loosing a few from time to time, the options are all over the place, from various 458 cal. down. Dtech offers all kinds of different chambering options.

I guess you could go with 7.62X39 if you want cheap and different.

I really like the idea of the ARs being able to switch calibers so easily by just switching uppers and I have always wanted one since they started to get popular. just wasn't sure it would take to build one as far as them being complicated or not.
I would love to have a small project like that that I could do when I'm at home and so on is why I thought of just building one

Originally Posted By: champ198
one of the shops we have here has one for $500.

Buy It! Shoot It.
Who knows it may be a shooter, if not, rebarrel it.

Back