220 gr. Hornady rn in a pump .308, suggestions?

kaniac

I just bought some 220 roundnoses to play with in my remington 7600 18 inch barreled 308, looking for some suggestions to get started, I was thinking 38 grains of 4064. It's a peep sighted gun I use in the thick woods of Northern Maine. I'm wondering if I can get enough velocity out of it to expand on a deer or not....

I just looked in my Hornady manual and the heaviest 308 Win load they show is a 190 gr BTSP.

Hodgdon shows a IMR 4064 load for the 208 gr Hornady A-Max.

The only suggestion I can give you is go to a 180 gr bullet if you want a good heavy bullet for the 308 Win.

Not sure in the 308. Used them in our bear loads in PA for years in 30-06. Not a problem penetrating or killing things! Should hit about like an 06 at bout another 100 yds distance. If you can find load data, should work fine. I believe we used 4350, but I haven't loaded them for years. A good, tough 180 gr will do the job for anything short of man-killer bears. I'm gravitating towards the monolithic Barnes TSX/TTSX or Hornady GMX bullets anymore for the few shots a year I get at big game.

Yeah I have quite a few different 180 grain bullets on my bench, I just saw them and it was kind of an impulse purchase.I'm still gonna have to give them a try just to satisfy my curiosity!

I plan on trying the same with 200 gr flat nose, cast, gas checked bullets. I like the cast option over jacketed for whatever reason. I'm probably over thinking it, but that's what I will be doing in my 760.

IMR reloading data states 37.7 gr IMR 4064 as a starting load for *208 gr.* Hornady Amax (heaviest bullet listed) and max load at 41 gr.

I would imagine the .308 with a 220 gr round nose should take care of just about anything south of a Cape Buffalo!

All I can tell you is that there is a reason why Hornady, and I'm sure Nosler, Sierra, Speer, etc. do NOT list 220gr loads for the 308, yet DO for the 30-06.

208gr is about max for the 308 Win. As for hunting bullets, 200gr. Anything heavier, is left for the 30-06(or another larger cartridge).

I have always liked heavy for caliber thumpers for the deep woods, myself. However, for the 308, that ends at 200gr. Anything heavier would be LESS effective, IMO.........

I shot some in a 30/06 and they loaded the barrel full of copper REAL quick!

I don't know what the purpose would be in going heavier than a 180g partition which is adequate for elk and moose, easy.

If you are wanting deep penetration on Moose or Elk, the 165g Tripple shock will beat all takers.

Don't feel bad, I have drawers full of impulse buys over the years...seemed like a great idea at the time.

Copper fouling on the 220's is like nothing you have ever seen!!! I had to de copper my barrel every 12 rounds!!!

Best wishes!

Originally Posted By: 6724not sure what twist your 308 has, but it might not be fast enough to stabilize 220's.

Twist shouldn't mater on these - as a roundnose, I don't think they are any longer than a 180 SP. Shot fine in our Rem 760 30-06's. Never really noticed copper issues, but we probably only went thru a couple hundred in 4 guns over several years.

Back