A Casual Revolution

azmastablasta

Ferguson protest leaders: 'We'll take our anger out on people who failed us'

Organizers tell New York rally not to expect a ‘casual revolution’ and vow greater demonstrations over police shooting of teen
Wednesday 8 October 2014

Organizers of demonstrations in Ferguson, Missouri, promised to intensify their protests over the killing of Michael Brown if the officer who shot him does not face criminal charges, warning police that they are prepared to die on the streets for their cause.

Three prominent members of the protest movement that sprung up after the deadly police shooting of Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, told a rally in New York on Tuesday night that there would be a fierce backlash if a grand jury declined to indict officer Darren Wilson.

“If they can’t serve justice in this, the people have every right to go out and express their rage in a manner that is equal to what we have suffered,” said Ashley Yates, a co-founder of Millennial Activists United, who was arrested last week while protesting in Ferguson.

Yates spoke alongside Tef Poe and Tory Russell, activists for Hands Up United and the Organisation for Black Struggle, hours after it emerged that authorities in Missouri were making plans to deal with potential riots in the event of Wilson avoiding prosecution.

“We’re going to take our anger out on the people who have failed us, and if they are prepared to deal with that, then let them have at it,” said Yates. Poe said that while people in America often expected “casual revolution”, Ferguson may be “the moment when we can’t do that”.

More than a week of unrest followed Wilson’s fatal shooting of Brown on 9 August after the city officer stopped the 18-year-old and a friend for jaywalking. Several witnesses have said Brown was shot while fleeing and when his hands were up. Police say he assaulted Wilson.

Police cracked down on the protests with a militarised presence including armoured vehicles and dozens of armed officers in riot gear. Demonstrators were shot with teargas and rubber bullets. More than 220 people have been arrested since the protests began. A grand jury in St Louis county is now considering evidence gathered by a county police inquiry.

The three activists said that in addition to the arrest of Wilson, protesters were demanding that Bob McCulloch, the prosecuting attorney for the county, whom they accuse of pro-police bias, to step down from the case, or for the Missouri governor, Jay Nixon, to remove him. They also want the resignation of Ferguson’s mayor, James Knowles III, and its police chief, Tom Jackson, over their handling of the crisis.

Speaking in the ballroom in Washington Heights where Malcolm X was shot dead in February 1965, they defended protesters’ conduct in previous clashes. Poe criticised what he called the “intellectual set” who analysed race relations but “didn’t show up and didn’t want to get shot when the teargas came out”. To authorities’ claims that he and fellow activists had incited rioting, Poe said: “No, you incited a riot by leaving Mike Brown’s body on the street for four and a half hours.”

They also dismissed a distinction drawn by the police between “good protesters” and so-called “outside agitators” blamed for causing trouble in August. Russell, who was also arrested during the protests, said 20th century civil rights pioneers such as Martin Luther King Jr, were “outside agitators”. He said: “Don’t be afraid to come from outside and help us do this work. Don’t be afraid to be an outside agitator for some true change.”

Asked during a question-and-answer session “are you ready to die for this?”, Poe said: “Don’t come to Ferguson if you aren’t ready to die. Stay at home, as it could happen.” Yates said: “I can say this with 100% certainty: all three of us have had moments in the street where we realized we could die right there.”

Officials from the county police, Ferguson police, Missouri state highway patrol, St Louis city police and FBI have been meeting to prepare for potential unrest, Reuters reported on Tuesday. Knowles said that there were fears that “the unrest is going to be far beyond the city of Ferguson.”

Mike O’Connell, a spokesman for the Missouri department of public safety, confirmed the meetings had been taking place but denied additional reports circulating on social media that the National Guard was also preparing to assist.

Tuesday’s speakers are preparing to take leading roles in “Ferguson October”, a planned three days of protests and civil disobedience this weekend. Yates said a “mass convergence” would descend on the St Louis suburb. “We’re hoping for the same response we got in the first weeks, only with some organization this time,” said Yates.

O’Connell told the Guardian: “There are plans for this weekend. It’s safe to say that just as there plans for dealing with crowds in Ferguson, it would be routine and expected to have meetings to get ready for this weekend’s protests.” He said the response of law enforcement would be “appropriate and measured”.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/...-brown-shooting

Why don't officials just pass out ropes (already tied in hangman's knots) and release Wilson, prosecuter Bob McCulloch,mayor, James Knowles III and chief Tom Jackson to the crowd? If we're gonna have a lynchin' let's do it right!

At least then they could be honest about the whole mess. What every happened to due process and the rule of law?

Andy

Where the cop messed up was not shutting up the wormy one also.(not really,maybe) I can.t tell if I am joking or not,but I think I am. Upon reflection,I guess I am joking,I think.

Quote:"Organizers of demonstrations in Ferguson, Missouri, promised to intensify their protests over the killing of Michael Brown if the officer who shot him does not face criminal charges, warning police that they are prepared to die on the streets for their cause."

So the indigenous people of Ferguson are uniting the jobless, permanent underclass across the nation... They are forming irrational paramilitary minded ranks in many urban areas preparing to loot, burn and destroy their own neighborhoods... Banded together under a false flag glorifying a teenage thug whom attacked a LEO on duty... And they say they are willing to die for their cause... I doubt their faithfulness to this cause... If their cause was connected to a religion I would believe their "willingness to lay down their lives"... I do not believe these are insurgents of faith, only malcontent leftist with a fetish for arson.. Any perceived victory on their part will not improve the quality of life nor living conditions outside government-subsidized Obama-housing. The "Ferguson" ghetto will only grow larger over time... And in your city as well... All cities nation wide have the same "Ferguson" ghetto...

In lieu of the deployment of federally armed and commanded SS Stormtroopers, the right minded working class of these communities need to band together under arms and defend their businesses... They need to meet this resistance with more forceful means of persuasion... Store front to store front, one burning tire at a time...

I think its ironic that those who would rale agaist the abuse of black people in the south. About how they were killed or imprisoned without cause and due process are now demanding the same thing they were complaining about.

We have to trust in abilty to get your day in court.

If those of the community are saying they want blood.. That would be to be the writing on the wall to move.
Let them burn down the houses, businesses and everything else, and then wonder how they are going to live when they have destroyed everything that makes them able to live above 3rd world.

I think it's time to ban the use of National disaster or other Federal Government funds to rebuild or replace things that are destroyed during rioting.

Well ok then, die in the streets. I'm ok with that. I'm all for peaceful demonstrations. However beyond that I feel the property owners should be able to use lethal force to protect their businesses.

drscott

Last edited:
This rhetoric reminds me of when the SDS was burning the ROTC building on the campus of the Univ of KS in Lawrence back in the very late '60s and I was hired to protect one of the companies stores in the downtown business district and the demonstrations had slowly moved into that area with window smashes and looting going on...

I spent a couple of nights perched on the top of the store safe with an M1 Carbine, with authorization from the head of security for the company to drop anyone that illegally entered the premises...That attitude would not fly well now..

I agree that it should be common sense and public knowledge that illegal acts on, or at, private property will be met with deadly force as needed...Unfortunately, that's not the case...

I don't think that it would matter a hill of beans if Obama himself issued a statement that the investigation into the Michael Brown shooting was legal and justified....Those people in Ferguson are after money and blood, just because they have a personal animosity against the police and city fathers over perceived slights in the past...and the speeches by Jackson and Sharpton have not helped the situation..

I have to wonder what would happen if a bunch of Whites bombarded the town everytime a shooting/beating takes place where the perpetrator is Black and the victim is White and threats were made publicly that justice was going to be extracted with blood in the streets...I can only guess how long it would take for Martial Law to be declared, curfews initiated, and arrests made for any White violators of the curfew...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleThis rhetoric reminds me of when the SDS was burning the ROTC building on the campus of the Univ of KS in Lawrence back in the very late '60s and I was hired to protect one of the companies stores in the downtown business district and the demonstrations had slowly moved into that area with window smashes and looting going on...

I spent a couple of nights perched on the top of the store safe with an M1 Carbine, with authorization from the head of security for the company to drop anyone that illegally entered the premises...That attitude would not fly well now..

I respect this...

Back