welded flash hider advice

MNyoteHunter

Have An Ar With A 14.5 Barrel And The Pinned Welded Flash Hider. Has A Post Front Sight And I Want To Put A Scope On So That Has To Come Off And Be Replaced With A Railed Gas Block For A Flip Up Sight. Question Is Am I Better Off Grinding The Weld And Removing The Pin And Taking The Flash Hider Off And Putting A Once Piece Gas Block On, Or Would It Be Much Easier To Cut The Post Sight Off And Put On A Two Piece Gas Block? The Two Piece Bolt Together To Me Doesn't Seem Like It Would Be As Sturdy As A One Piece, But I've Never Dealt With One So That's Just A Guess. Any Input From SomeoneWho's Dealt With This Before ?

Couple questions, do you have a drill press or access to one? do you know where the pin is located?

I removed a weld on barrel done by rainer arms. Was extremely easy with a hand dril, just constantly checked the depth and as soon as i was deep enough i broke it off with my armorers tool.

Just a friendly note that as soon as the FH is removed its considered a SBR. So if you cant do it at home with relative ease including re welding or silver soldering take it to a shop.

The easiest is just to cut the FS off and grind down the existing gas block in place.

I had a front sight post on my 14.5" midlength and wanted it off to clean up the sight picture for a red dot sight. I have a Vortex scope in a Larue mount that gets switched back and forth with the RDS depending on what I'm doing. I just cut off and ground down the front sight and the existing gas block and put on a 2 piece Midwest Industries 13" rail over it. I left the pinned flash hider and original pinned gas block in place and cut and ground everything off in about 15 minutes. There's lots of Youtube videos that show how to do it.

The front sight post won't affect the sight picture in your scope; there's some weird space-time continuum that makes it disappear. (Somebody here probably has the answer, I don't...)

Hope that helps.

If you put one of these on after you can slide the gas block over it...

http://www.voodooinnovations.com/vdi-manimal-extended-flash-hider
vdi_manimal_2small.png

I Work In A John Deere Shop So Access To Tools Shouldn't Be A Problem. Which Model Of Handguard Did You Get? Midwest Industries Has Like Four Different Ones.

Originally Posted By: 07yzrysder
Just a friendly note that as soon as the FH is removed its considered a SBR. .

This is only the case if it is attached to a lower or kept in a manner that could be deemed you were intending to.

You can LEGALLY have a upper with a barrel shorter than 16" as long as it is not reasonable that it to be attached to a lower. I.E. don't have them together in the same place outside your home.

I confirmed and have the email from the ATF. I built several uppers with barrels shorter than 16" prior to my stamp for my SBRs coming back. The exact verbiage from the email from the ATF agent stated, as long as the uppers are not transported with an unregistered lower prior to Form 1 approval or paired together you are technically within your legal right to do so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: svt tacticalOriginally Posted By: 07yzrysder

This is only the case if it is attached to a lower or kept in a manner that could be deemed you were intending to.

You can LEGALLY have a upper with a barrel shorter than 16" as long as it is not reasonable that it to be attached to a lower. I.E. don't have them together in the same place outside your home.

I confirmed and have the email from the ATF. I built several uppers with barrels shorter than 16" prior to my stamp for my SBRs coming back. The exact verbiage from the email from the ATF agent stated, as long as the uppers are not transported with an unregistered lower prior to Form 1 approval or paired together you are technically within your legal right to do so.

Handy Info. Thank You.

Originally Posted By: svt tacticalOriginally Posted By: 07yzrysder

do you have the letter? If so i would like to print that out and get started on my SBR upper for my 300. I was told by many that its constructive possession to possess an SBR without a tax stamp or registered pistol lower.

Originally Posted By: 07yzrysderOriginally Posted By: svt tacticalOriginally Posted By: 07yzrysder

do you have the letter? If so i would like to print that out and get started on my SBR upper for my 300. I was told by many that its constructive possession to possess an SBR without a tax stamp or registered pistol lower.

Same way I understand it also.

It is a direct email from the local ATF office agent to me. I suggest you send an email to your local ATF office agent or the main office for that matter and get it direct to you. I will try to find it in my email still but as I have my stamps and all now I am not sure if I saved it or printed it and put in my NFA log book or not.

Back