Smoking your traps??

luckydux

Could it be beneficial to smoke your fox traps (coil springs), or would it make them more likely to be dug up?

I'm new to trapping so if my thought process seems ridiculous just let me know. I tend to over think things. I'm an avid archer and at times I'll smoke my clothes so I just thought...

hahahahahahaha…okay...and I wasn't even drunk or stoned!

Smoking your hunting camo is yet another one of those old traditions, its used as a cover scent. Seems better than any gimmick the stores sell. I don't do it often but I've been witness to its efficacy on several deer outings, or at least it "appeared" to work. They obviously smell it but they didn't smell me when there seemed to be no reasoning for them not to…but who knows

Originally Posted By: catbegoneJust stop and think a little bit. Look at how stupid you sound.

Ut oh, those are banning words. They dont like truth hurts type statements around here. A lot of "new heads" can't take it.

I do agree however.
thumbup1.gif

i have read in a few places that before the boiling and waxing methods everybody is so proud of now, trappers hung there traps above there chimneys and smoked them. just remember wax holds every scent it comes in contact with, so im told, so i guess anything you try would be better then wax as far as scent goes. so to assume to try smoking your traps or clothing is actually a smart idea. i just think that if you go that route you need to let whatever is smoked air out for a few days before use. but smoke is suppose to have something in it, forget what its called, that eliminates all other smells it comes in contact with. "so i been told". if it where me, i would clean them of grease, spray paint whatever color, and dip 2-3 times in fmj. then every now and then give them a squirt of unscented silicon spray

Originally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: catbegoneJust stop and think a little bit. Look at how stupid you sound.

Ut oh, those are banning words. They dont like truth hurts type statements around here. A lot of "new heads" can't take it.

I do agree however.
thumbup1.gif

Ahhh we're good here, no harm no foul

Back