6.8 vs Coyote? How much damage?

I'm thinking of building an SBR in 6.8 with a 12.5" barrel. I'm just wondering if any of you use something similar and how much damage will it do to a coyote? I'd like to save the hides if possible, so the less damage the better.

I have not shot one with mine yet but have been told by a couple guys that have, that it will put a coyote down hard but is not very fur friendly.

My 6 DTI ( which is basically the same thing ) is like the hammer of Thor on coyotes. I've killed about 10 with mine and I would say half have left a softball sized hole. The others have just went in and no exit. I'm shooting the 58 gr vmaxes out of mine.

I use a 6.8 and it depends on the bullet 110gr sierras put them down but didn't seem to blow bigs holes in them,the speer 100gr tnt on the other hand made holes that I could see clear through the coyote.

90 tnt is the stuff in mine with viht n133. coyotes will have huge holes, javelina guts will mush and jacks seem to lose their hole head in a pink poof.

Originally Posted By: SfsmedicPretty devastating round. Try the 85gr MPG (or RRLP) from Barnes.

I have some of these and have been thinking of trying them out. Are they fur friendly?

Have been wanting a new upper in 6.8. Figured it to be a versatile hunting round.
I was curious about hide damage though. Sounds like it may chop em up pretty good.

What about the Barnes tsx bullets? Like the 95 or 110, they shouldn't blow up, and the reason some guys have commented on why they don't like them on deer, on other boards, is because they don't leave a very big exit hole to leave a blood trail. I've not tried these on yotes yet, but I plan to this winter. Since they stay together they should leave whatever the expansion size is as a hole. Like 1/2"-3/4" or so. Does anybody have any actual data? I'm just going on the idea that these tsx leave upwards of 99% of their weight when recovered. They are more money maybe, but if you put up hides, it seems like that's what you require to get more money for better hides, and less damaged ones.

ETA: over on 68forums a guy by name of Xman has done a lot of bullet tests and they will be helpful to you. Its a sticky under the reloading section I think. He says the 110 opens better at lower velocities because it's the mass of the bullet that helps open it up, not just the velocity. Also a faster twist is helpful he has found out too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mo LassisWhat about the Barnes tsx bullets? Like the 95 or 110, they shouldn't blow up, and the reason some guys have commented on why they don't like them on deer, on other boards, is because they don't leave a very big exit hole to leave a blood trail. I've not tried these on yotes yet, but I plan to this winter. Since they stay together they should leave whatever the expansion size is as a hole. Like 1/2"-3/4" or so. Does anybody have any actual data? I'm just going on the idea that these tsx leave upwards of 99% of their weight when recovered. They are more money maybe, but if you put up hides, it seems like that's what you require to get more money for better hides, and less damaged ones.

ETA: over on 68forums a guy by name of Xman has done a lot of bullet tests and they will be helpful to you. Its a sticky under the reloading section I think. He says the 110 opens better at lower velocities because it's the mass of the bullet that helps open it up, not just the velocity. Also a faster twist is helpful he has found out too.

Not sure why I didn't think of this. The TTSX does leave a small entry and exit hole on deer but a huge dark wound channel internally on deer. I like the neck shot right in front of ghe shoulder so it's a full meaty shot not the body cavity.

I haven't tested on game but a recovered 150 ttsx .308 from behind the target backer weighed in at 149.1 grains after hitting rock and dirt at 100.

I've been using a 6.8 SPC II chambered AR on coyotes for several years now. I hand load 90 grain Sierra Varminters, and 90 grain Speer TNT's at 2800 FPS. I've killed about 20 coyotes with this particular rifle by now, and have not really seen much in the way of blown up coyotes. Usually I get about a quarter size exit, though I did blow the front leg off one that I yanked the trigger on. Seems to me that fur damage is about the same as my .22-250's or .243's.

Back