Shot the SD Grendel today

you want to spend more trying to find a starting point, knock yourself out. Given component availability & cost, 3 will do to find it.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishyou want to spend more trying to find a starting point, knock yourself out. Given component availability & cost, 3 will do to find it.

Ok, Agreed;
I have some 300 WSM loads loaded up for try out, and thinking that a few more loaded below them would be the prudent thing to do.
3 rounds try out`s are much more $$ effective with this for sure.
Just threw that 3 rnd. comment out there for laughs.
Plus this is my one night off a week after working 80+ hours.

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: Stu Farishyou want to spend more trying to find a starting point, knock yourself out. Given component availability & cost, 3 will do to find it.

Ok, Agreed;
I have some 300 WSM loads loaded up for try out, and thinking that a few more loaded below them would be the prudent thing to do.

I knew you were teasing me, it's cool! To be honest I stopped at three and walked up there cause I thought the other two weren't even on the paper... Lol

Originally Posted By: MPFDOriginally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: Stu Farishyou want to spend more trying to find a starting point, knock yourself out. Given component availability & cost, 3 will do to find it.

Ok, Agreed;

I knew you were teasing me, it's cool! To be honest I stopped at three and walked up there cause I thought the other two weren't even on the paper... Lol

I will be ordering two more lowers tomorrow, and will be needing some advice for the next upper build.
Will be contacting you for parts info.
Would like to try out a BHW barrel, is that what you are using?

Originally Posted By: Smokin Barrel

I run 28.5gr of 8208 in my SD Grendel and I can say it is max. It is a 20" bbl Scott built with the Lilja barrels and with 28.5gr of 8208 I am only getting 2590 FPS. I shoot 123 gr SMK. The same load with a 123gr A max produced 2600 FPS.

Thanks for the info, that sounds more like the velocities I'm getting. I will try 28 gr with both 123 sst and amax next time out...

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishThe first group (top left) was 123gr Hornady factory loads. I shot that group just to foul the barrel as I had given it a good cleaning after the last trip:

IMG_20141005_171825_407_zpseaixzrb4.jpg

Hmmm? As much as we share in common musically, I figured your toe next to the big one would be longer...LOL...

so that sad news is that I don't yet have any bragging rights groups from my grendel yet.

the good news is that it likes enough different loads well enough that if I get a chance to hunt anything, i can either just use hornady factory ammo or one of several of my test loads & go right out & kill something while looking for what it really likes.

Back