308 question

For those of you who hunt deer/hogs with a 308 semi auto - do you use shooting sticks or a bipod or some other type of rest. My aging shoulders can't hold a scoped, fully loaded mag 308 AR for any time at all, let alone keep the gun steady for shooting. I'm trying to decide if a heavier gun would be more accurate since I would need to shoot it with some support or if a lighter gun has more merit - I am less concerned about the weight in terms of lugging it around - because I have no intentions of walking very far with it. I have a Noveske N4 which works wonderfully well for my 5.56 needs, but want to get a 308 in some flavor for bigger game, shot at greater distance. Opinions welcomed!

Get an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC to keep the weight down but keep 80% of the knockdown power of the 308. I use both shooting sticks and a bipod, just depends on the situation.

Last edited:
My advice would be to get your hands an LR308 or other large frame AR and see how you like the feel before getting too far into the process of buying or building one. I had an upper put together recently for one and it came out heavier than I'd anticipated, don't know if I like it.

I'm also working with one of these uppers right now:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/LITE-HUNTER_ep_154-1.htmll

This configuration is about as light as you can rig one of these up I believe, but you're still looking at near 10# scoped. With a standard AR10 or LR308 you'll be more like 12#. Not for carrying much at all IMO.

I have a very light 308 and use a bipod and shooting sticks to mount my gun on. For hunting purposes my lightweight is just as accurate as any other heavy gun I own.

Take a look at the S&W M&P AR10 .308 Rifle.
Very Light.
Light Weight profile 18" barrel.
I really enjoy mine and it shoots less than MOA with 180gr reloads.
Also the Bog-Pod Tri-Pod works good, very light.
And the Caldwell Magnum TriPod works good, but alittle heavy.
Speaking from a Double Rotator Cuff Injury Shooter.

I built this one a few years back and love the accuracy it delivers. I have killed several deer with it but can tell you that it does not go un-noticed when packing it. As pictured with a loaded mag it weighs in right at 17 lbs. The ONLY way I shoot this one, even in the field is off the bipod. I don't think I would even attempt an off hand shot.

I use shooting sticks for calling, no reason to not use them for deer/pigs/what ever.

I prefer standing when out calling, but will mix some sitting in during the day as well. Sticks work fine in both positions.

I have a couple Armalite AR10's with 24" barrels and they are heavy compared to most of my other rifles. You could look at a Browning BAR. They are light in comparison to the AR10's. Another option would be to consider one of the WSSMs. Usually on an AR15 platform and are considerably lighter and will still perform well at longer ranges. Just my two cents...

Opinions welcomed!???
Any LR308 by DPMS will work great.
Scope serves me well out to 200 yards; inside that?...turn out the lights the party`s over!

Back