My 1911 dream piece..is done

coyote6974

Back in the early 90's the police agency I worked for decided to take away my beloved S&W Combat Magnum and replace it with a Semi Auto pistol in .45 caliber. This was a double action / single action Smith, that I hated from day one. Apparently everyone else hated them too because they were soon replaced with 1911 pistols direct from Gunsite. Though I'd owned a few 1911's before being issued one, I was still skeptical of the thing. After some time with it though, I became a student of Cooper, and came to respect the 1911 above all other defensive pistols. I attended a Colt 1911 armorers course, and have continued learning how they function.
As I came to respect 1911 pistols, and pre Series 80 Colt 1911 pistols in particular, I learned that my longest time shooting and hunting buddy was harboring a seldom shot but somewhat neglected pre Series 80 Colt Combat Commander, chambered in .38 Super, a somewhat neglected, but very worthy cartridge. I felt bad about the poor appearance of the pistol, and made my buddy an offer he couldn't resist, for the honor of resurrecting what was once a fine Colt pistol. It would become my first real 1911 project. Seems the piece had been left in a leather holster on the floor of a pickup truck with the window down in the rain, with the expected results. The slide was slightly pitted, but the frame had escaped any lasting damage. The pistol had been painted black to cover the carnage.
My first order of business was to obtain a replacement slide with correct roll marks. After searching firearms related web sites for 6 months, I located a complete pre series 80 Combat Commander .38 Super slide, barrel assembly and paid the price. I was able to fit the slide to my frame, fit a new Ed Brown extended thumb safety, replace the extractor, and the eroded firing pin, with no issues but though functional, it was still very inaccurate due to the way the old Colt barrels headspace on the cartridge rims, rather than the case mouths as .45's do. After shooting the pistol for a little over a year, I made the decision to take the pistol to my gunsmith to have a new ramped barrel, with a fully supported chamber fit, and to have him professionally fit the slide to the frame. Then we went whole hog. I had him install an S&A beavertail grip safety, new adjustable Novak Sights, an aluminum trigger, checker the front strap, and install a flat checkered mainspring housing. Then, since the gun would need to be completely refinished I had it refinished with ION Bond.
A year latter, I was rewarded with the 1911 pistol of my dreams. I've shot about 500 rounds through it now, and it is as accurate as any other handgun I've ever owned. It has functioned flawlessly, with hardball FMJ and two types of HP ammo. I think I'll keep it now.

Last edited:
very nice! I have owned two 1911's and only really regret selling one and that's because I traded the other for a double barrel black powder shot gun for my dad.

Glad you saved the old girl from an early grave! Great job that you'll see years of service from.

I'm a 1911 fanatic, and own 2 in .38Super. Both of mine are Govt models ... wish I had a Commander, though! Finest cartridge that has ever been chambered in a 1911 in my opinion.

Mine are just "Plain Jane" factory guns .....

Nice job. 1911's rock! But make mine a .45
wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Thanks for the comments guys. What brought this pistol to my attention was I had bought a pre series 80 CC in .45 ACP, and on my way to the farm to try it out, I stopped by my Ole Buddy's place to see if he wanted to go do some shooting with me. When he saw the .45, he told me he had one like it but it was some kind of .38 caliber instead of .45. He went in and came back out with this gun in a pistol rug. When I saw it was painted black, I said WTH?, and he told me about leaving it in his truck. We shot the Super that day, and I remember it was pretty snappy. I did some research on the .38 Super after that, and was impressed with its ballistics. Just had to have it then.

Back