223 ruger american predator

bemart02

Trying to find REAL PEOPLE with knowledge and insight to the ruger american predator in 223 cal. Looks like an interesting rifle to own.... just trying to find others opinions and or expertise.

There have been several conversations on this site about them and they were all very positive. I am considering buying a 6.5 and if I found a predator model would snatch it up!

Been asking a few Gun Dealers around here in Missouri....not available yet?

I have done some reading up on them....seems they come with a threaded barrel for adding a break or suppressor,the end cap screws off to add said feature choice.Sounds like a great idea and cool options to have on a Predator Rifle....I would go with the .204 or .223 Predator Rifle myself!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GTOHunterBeen asking a few Gun Dealers around here in Missouri....not available yet?

Translates to "I haven't gotten off my arse and ordered any yet."
rolleyes.gif

I've seen them in Indianapolis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, and several other locations. My problem is finding one in the caliber I need.

I just picked up the Predator in .223, mounted a DPMS muzzle break that looks great. Now I just need to get the scope on Friday and hopefully get rounds down range this weekend. I also submited a product request to Boyds for a Varmint Thumbhole stock, got a call back from them on monday lettign me know they are now offering it but its not up on thier site yet. I will post range results and pictures when I get done.

Sweet!!! I would love to hear how it performs. A buddy of mine found one here in Montana.... a couple of hundred miles away from me.... they wanted $395 for the 223. Is that about the going retail?

Last edited:
That's not a bad price for a Rifle with an adjustable trigger,threaded barrel and good Reputation that's affordable!

Hidalgo......not sure if the a Dealers are affraid to order any or what?No Dealers had the .17 Hornet Rifles either....or Ammo for them!

I bought one about a month ago in 223 Remington. It shoots right around 1" at 100 yards with Hornady 55 grain spire point ammo (50 round count).

A friend has one in 6.5 Creedmore that he bought at the same time, and his shoots approximately the same size groups. In contrast, I own a Ruger 77 stainless in 6.5 Creedmore that has never exceeded 1" for five shots at 100 yards. Most groups are 3/4" and smaller. I've owned it for about 1 year.

Overall the Predators are a decent hunting rifle for the money - I paid $359 plus tax for mine - but they are nothing to write home about in terms of overall quality. They are a bottom of the line/entry level rifle in all ways.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan
Overall the Predators are a decent hunting rifle for the money - I paid $359 plus tax for mine - but they are nothing to write home about in terms of overall quality. They are a bottom of the line/entry level rifle in all ways.

There are a BUNCH of Predator owners who will argue that point. And like most rifles, you need to reload to attain the best performance. Could you tell us exactly what different loads were shot in the rifles you mentioned before they were declared "bottom line"?

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

There are a BUNCH of Predator owners who will argue that point. And like most rifles, you need to reload to attain the best performance. Exactly what different loads were shot in the rifles you mentioned.

Which point is that? If you're taking about the accuracy, I wasn't. I merely stated how it shot the Hornady factory ammo which is what I usually start a new 223 Rem bolt rifle with. If a rifle shows promise with it I generally go to hand loads and trim groups from there.

When I was talking quality I was talking general overall quality which includes a cheap plastic stock and trigger guard and a plastic magazine with a plastic onboard release.

All of those things are not hard hunting type accolades for a rifle, but acceptable on a cheaper entry grade level rifle (cheap cost wise only of course, as I know you've been walking around with a woody for several months now looking for a 6.5 in a Predator at a rock bottom price)

BTW - I've hand loaded for over 35 years, in case that's my next lesson.

I'm simply not going to waste my time on this rifle as its going to be nothing more than a 4 wheeler hunting rifle and it will work for that. In addition, it might shoot nothing more than the factory Hornady ammo which also works for a 4 wheeler while hunting hogs. If I'm going to worry about bench groups, I will shoot a rifle more suited to that endeavor and I'll use hand loaded/tailored ammo for that particular rifle. Squeezing comparable accuracy out of a $360 rifle isn't one of my pet endeavors just to increase my post count. Or to not kill any more hogs with it than this one will kill with its present rifle/ammo combination.

Since we're talking costs, the scope on it is worth far more than the rifle if you're talking over the counter prices. I looked for a Predator priced at $650 but I couldn't find one to make all the pieces equal in cost at least.

I sincerely hope you'll find one on sale for $199 so you'll be an uber happy camper in all ways.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan(cheap cost wise only of course, as I know you've been walking around with a woody for several months now looking for a 6.5 in a Predator at a rock bottom price)

I sincerely hope you'll find one on sale for $199 so you'll be an uber happy camper in all ways.

Wow I must have really hurt your feelings because you're not content to discuss the rifle ... You have to include insults and snide comments. I said nothing about you that called for that response. In the real world and face to face (where you aren't safe behind your monitor), you wouldn't have dared speak to me in that manner because my response would have been less than pleasant. There are a lot of us on here that are getting fed up with the "internet cowboy" crap. We don't have to agree, but we can respect each other in the process. Care to explain why you saw cause for that?

And I didn't get financially stable by paying more for something than it was worth simply because the supply was short. Impatience usually costs you money.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan(cheap cost wise only of course, as I know you've been walking around with a woody for several months now looking for a 6.5 in a Predator at a rock bottom price)

Wow I must have really hurt your feelings because you're not content to discuss the rifle ... You have to include insults and snide comments. I said nothing about you that called for that response. In the real world and face to face (where you aren't safe behind your monitor), you wouldn't have dared speak to me in that manner because my response would have been less than pleasant. There are a lot of us on here that are getting fed up with the "internet cowboy" crap. We don't have to agree, but we can respect each other in the process. Care to explain why you saw cause for that?

And I didn't get financially stable by paying more for something than it was worth simply because the supply was short. Impatience usually costs you money.

I'm sure everything you said is absolutely true. I hope that vindicates you and make you whole.

I simply stated my experience and you immediately let me know that you and a BUNCH of others disagreed, even though I'm still not sure what you were disagreeing about in general. So I responded in kind.

I've seen and shot a couple of Predators and a regular American (22 Mag) in real life. I really like the 22 Mag Compact which I also bought. The Predator seems to be a bit overdone - kinda' like lipstick on a pig, if you will - with a green stock, a cheap rail, and muzzle threads. Just my opinion of course, even though a BUNCH of others might disagree with my opinion that's it's still just an entry level rifle at $350-$400. I can easily live with that.

You are the one who seems hurt by my comments. Relax and take a deep breath. None of this is life and death.

Originally Posted By: bemart02Wow didn't want to cause a stir...... Just looking for opinions on a rifle that I am interested in........

You didn't cause anything. Some people just can't carry on a conversation without all the drama, down-talking, and bantering.....
wink.gif
Don't let it discourage you. It's (thankfully) only a very, very small percentage of the membership.

Last edited:
My brother bought the Predator in 223 and it shoots factory Hornady 55 grain V Max into 1'' groups . I think its a nice gun for the money and probably the best of the lower priced rifles offered right now . The stock is much better than the Savage Axis and the trigger is decent but not as smooth as my Accu Triggers . So far he has not had the feeding issues of many of the original Ruger Americans had . We know several local hunters with the standard models and they love them . I might pick one up just to play with around the farm .

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan.....BTW - I've hand loaded for over 35 years, in case that's my next lesson.....

Joe Biden has been in politics for longer than that, doesn't make him any good at it.

Back