help me pick a unique cartridge for ar upper build

Originally Posted By: DesertRamTrue, but available in an AR? Just as well shoot my evil black rifle, no?
grin.gif

If you are referrng to the 25X6.8... Well yeah. It is in an AR15. I personally purchased the reamer. There are postings all over the net on the 25X6.8

Here is a link to some data worked up by one of the end users.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RlwOxmV3hukCFAmG7Ur1Q-MAevjoJCTlBAueTx0PKR8/pub

Greg

You mentioned the .250 Savage, which I didn't think was available for the AR platform, whereas the 25x6.8 is, thus my interest there. I'll have to give it some more consideration. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: DesertRamYou mentioned the .250 Savage, which I didn't think was available for the AR platform, whereas the 25x6.8 is, thus my interest there. I'll have to give it some more consideration. Thanks!

Performance wise they are right on top of each other. The 250 Savage is a bit past the wildcat stage. LOL

Greg

If I were wanting an 18 inch barrel the 25cal on the 6.8 case would be your Huckleberry.... longer barrel I would go 6mm just for more bullet choices and slightly flatter trajectory. I shoot the 25DTI using 85gr Nosler BT's and I have been above 3000 but actually slowed them down to match my Nightforce Velocity reticle.
Loading ammo is as simple as loading anything else. I just run them thru a 25 DTI Hornady FL die load and shoot and repeat as needed.
Here are some Proof is in the pudding photos.

The 6mm and the 25DTI are the middle ones .223 and 6X45 to left and far right is .243 IIRC

I have never used but one powder in my 25DTI which is N133 as every bullet I tried shot good with it so I did not experiment much to be honest.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
^ holy cow, is that first pic all from the same hunt? if so that's amazing!! In my neck of the woods that would be a good years worth of hunting! No joke, last year I went out roughly 30-35 times between late Oct & early April granted it was my first year but I was happy to get 5 coyotes & 1 fox lol!

But back on track, I spent some time looking at bullet selection & the 6mm has a pretty big advantage as far as varmint bullets in the 80-100gr range which is what I would want to shoot. It seems like the 25 cal choices are almost all medium game bullets & in the 100-120gr range. I suppose going to a 20" barrel would probably be worth it to get almost 3x the bullet selection. In 6mm the 80gr Nbt or 87gr Vmax seems ideal.

For 25x6.8 these are the bullets I've found to be within a suitable weight range for varmint use:

Hornady 75gr HP (varmint)
Hornady 75gr VMAX (varmint)
Hornady 87gr SP (varmint, light skin game)
Nosler 85gr BT (varmint, light skin game)
Sierra 70gr BlitzKing (varmint)
Sierra 75gr HP (varmint)
Sierra 87gr SP (varmint)
Sierra 90gr BlitzKing (varmint)
Speer 100gr HP (varmint)
Speer 87gr SP (varmint, light-medium game)
Speer 87gr TNT (varmint)

I know that's not as much as the 6mm, or as light, but there isn't a lack of options. All of those, except the Speer 100 could easily be pushed over 3000fps from an 18" barrel. There's about an equal number of useable 90-110gr bullets for medium size game hunting. If you can't find an accurate load with any of those bullets it's not the rifle's fault.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ghilliedup^ holy cow, is that first pic all from the same hunt? if so that's amazing!! In my neck of the woods that would be a good years worth of hunting! No joke, last year I went out roughly 30-35 times between late Oct & early April granted it was my first year but I was happy to get 5 coyotes & 1 fox lol!

But back on track, I spent some time looking at bullet selection & the 6mm has a pretty big advantage as far as varmint bullets in the 80-100gr range which is what I would want to shoot. It seems like the 25 cal choices are almost all medium game bullets & in the 100-120gr range. I suppose going to a 20" barrel would probably be worth it to get almost 3x the bullet selection. In 6mm the 80gr Nbt or 87gr Vmax seems ideal.

Top was same hunt over a day and a half
The picture with 4 big coyotes was actually two stands and got two doubles.
The last picture was from a week-end of hunting with friends and I can only claim 6 coyotes IIRC and 4 were taken in 15 minutes on the same stand... I ran out of ammo on that one.
blushing.gif

There is a lot more options in the 25 cal than I realized, I was only looking at "in stock" options so maybe that's why I only found a couple in that weight range...I really cant decide which one id like better, and to top it off Savage just started a $75 rebate on the Model 11 Predator Hunter which ive had my eye on for quite some time.

Back