Case kicker for RCBS presses.

Is anyone using any of the various "case kickers" on an RCBS Rock Chucker press?

I am aware that the original RCBS version of this was hit/miss to say the least and was discontinued. Just in the last week I've run into mentions of other versions or improvements on this concept which got much better reviews like the Rapid Case Kicker.

http://rapidcasekicker.com/

Anyone using either this one or a home-made variation? Reviews? Is the setup easy and do they work reliably, or are they fiddly and difficult to get to work right?

If they work reliably, to me they look like a great speed gain for very little cost. But is there a catch?

Grouse

Looks like more cheap plastic junk that would get tried once, then set on a shelf somewhere like other reloading gadgets I thought would be cool to try. I'm done with that. Maybe buy a cheap progressive press and set it up to do just 1 step and you are ahead in the game! Haha

Just to stipulate that I am NOT interested in getting a progressive press. I have neither the volume need nor the space nor do I want to spend the money.

I have an excellent setup, I'm just interested in things that could pay off in terms of efficiency for the few times a year when I need to load higher volumes rather than test batches.

Grouse

Mr. Grouse, I say order it and see what it does? It's only $30.00

Heck, I've wasted $30 before, and probably will again.

After looking at it on their website, I can't imagine that it would save all that much speed.

I may order one, but just wondering if anyone had acutal experience.

The original by RCBS didn't last long because it was fussy to set up, but the one I linked to mounts to the bench instead of the press.

The time savings to me would be worth it, it's easily 25% faster if you don't have to remove the case with your hand between feeding in new ones.

Grouse

If you order it would be nice to hear if it works as good for you. I get a rhythm going and grab and drop as I grab a new case, so I'm not sure it saves that much time for my style. But I'm not an engineer in ergonomics either! I see it as another gimmick, but that's what so great, we all decide how we want to spend our coin. Buy it and try it, then hidalgo might buy it from you if you don't like it!

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseThe original by RCBS didn't last long because it was fussy to set up, but the one I linked to mounts to the bench instead of the press.

I have and still use the original style and I can safely say that it is the neatest thing to ever hang on the bench. It really comes in handy when prepping 223 brass for loading later on the progressive.
Go ahead and get this new aftermarket style. After a while, you will wonder how you ever got by without one.

Trust me on this.

Grouse,

I use one, but I invented it and I am president of the company that sells them. So, now you know I might have a bias you at least have more transparency than the Obama administration.

I invented the Rapid Case Kicker because I have a Rock Chucker Supreme, I like the press but my friend's Dillon was so much faster. I came up the idea for the Rapid Case Kicker because the RCBS product was no longer available, others wanted me to make them one and that is how I started a this little business.

The Rapid Case Kicker is made from laser cut 1.7 millimeter thick steel. The spring was manufactured specifically for me by Anderson Quality Springs in Portland Oregon. The plastic chute is made from a thermoplastic with specific properties that allow the end user to form it to their press and shape it to direct the brass however they would like. That can be done with just boiling water and gloves to protect your hands.

Like everything it will occasionally not kick out a piece of brass, but the reality is that once it is set up and working it functions as well as my Kimber 1911 and rarely has a problem.

Does it make your reloading go faster? Definitely! Will it give you the speed of a Dillon XL650? No. But the cost is 15 times less.

Would I buy one? In a heartbeat. I will never use my Rock Chucker without it.

If you are not happy with it, you can always send it back for a full refund of your purchase price. This won't be a mistake that sits on your shelf collecting dust. I stand by the quality and the design functionality. Unfortunately this only works with the Rock Chucker presses, but a new universal design is in the works.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Aaron
President

Contact@RapidCaseKicker.com
www.RapidCaseKicker.com

Last edited:
Well, this is an interesting development. The inventor, president, CEO, etc turns up on our little forum. Welcome, Aaron.

I've been studying the videos on your website including the installation video. Like the setup in this video, I use a "riser" setup on my bench to get the press up higher. I'm not sure if that leaves me room for the RKC to mount, so I need to do some measurements tonight.

I'm also a little on the fence about if the RKC will work for me, so two questions:

1. Does the RKC still mount as shown in the video if I have the Rock Chucker 2 press with the old-style primer catcher? I'm sure you know what this looks like.

2. This one is driving me crazy. What, exactly, is catching your cases? None of the videos that I've seen show where your cases go after they slide down the Speed Chute. They just disappear. Where do they go? Just give me one picture, this was like watching a movie that was getting cut off right before the ending.

I think I'm going to do it, though. I'm just having visions of getting that productivity increase without having to resort to a giant progressive press with the related price tag.

What do you think guys? Should I get one and do a little science experiment?

Grouse

Grouse,

I can't seem to figure out how to attach a picture to this post, but maybe my explanation will suffice. I have a bench that has a couple of drawers and I place a bucket in one of the drawers. But you will note the Speed Chute has two notches cut into the end. These are to allow you to put a sock on the end with a rubber band and the brass will catch in the sock or (if the sock has no end) to go into a bucket without any bouncing or falling around.

The old primer catch is something you have to work with, but the best results have come from removing a section of the primer catch wall so the Speed Chute fits low enough. There is not a whole lot I was able to work with as I only had one older Rock Chucker to use for a short time during testing.

I do know that some users have various risers and plates their press attaches and it works for them, but I don't know all the details so I am not very helpful in your particular set up. Sorry.

If you would like to email me I can email you a picture of the bucket set up. Don't worry, I won't spam you later or sell your email address. let me know if you have any other questions.

Aaron
www.RapidCaseKicker.com

Originally Posted By: Rapid Case KickerGrouse,

I can't seem to figure out how to attach a picture to this post, but maybe my explanation will suffice. I have a bench that has a couple of drawers and I place a bucket in one of the drawers. But you will note the Speed Chute has two notches cut into the end. These are to allow you to put a sock on the end with a rubber band and the brass will catch in the sock or (if the sock has no end) to go into a bucket without any bouncing or falling around.

The old primer catch is something you have to work with, but the best results have come from removing a section of the primer catch wall so the Speed Chute fits low enough. There is not a whole lot I was able to work with as I only had one older Rock Chucker to use for a short time during testing.

I do know that some users have various risers and plates their press attaches and it works for them, but I don't know all the details so I am not very helpful in your particular set up. Sorry.

If you would like to email me I can email you a picture of the bucket set up. Don't worry, I won't spam you later or sell your email address. let me know if you have any other questions.

Aaron
www.RapidCaseKicker.com

What do you do with the case kicker when you are seating bullets? Is there a way to make it so that it doesn't kick the finished round off the press?

I usually kick it into my bucket. My plinking and 3gun ammo is usually not a bid deal. My precision ammo is a different story and thanks for asking the question.

The Rapid Case Kicker only activates at the very bottom of the piston stroke/the last inch of movement of the press lever. I knew that I would want to hand unload precision rounds so I designed it to allow for that. The spring is strong enough if you go twice around the RCK base the handle can sit in the upright position and not activate the Rapid Case Kicker. It takes a minimal amount of force to push the lever forward, but easy to avoid kicking completed cartridges that are for precision shooting.

I hope that answered your question.

Aaron

Originally Posted By: midwestpredator

What do you do with the case kicker when you are seating bullets? Is there a way to make it so that it doesn't kick the finished round off the press?

Why wouldn't you want it to "kick" off finished rounds?

If you really wanted NOT to have the kicker remove the case, I think you could do it. You have to return the press handle to the uppermost position so that it activates the "kicker". So what I think you could do is just NOT return the handle that far so the kicker arm kicks the case.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: Rapid Case KickerI usually kick it into my bucket. My plinking and 3gun ammo is usually not a bid deal. My precision ammo is a different story and thanks for asking the question.

The Rapid Case Kicker only activates at the very bottom of the piston stroke/the last inch of movement of the press lever. I knew that I would want to hand unload precision rounds so I designed it to allow for that. The spring is strong enough if you go twice around the RCK base the handle can sit in the upright position and not activate the Rapid Case Kicker. It takes a minimal amount of force to push the lever forward, but easy to avoid kicking completed cartridges that are for precision shooting.

I hope that answered your question.

Aaron

Yes that's what I was looking for. I use a lyman crusher 2 press so Im not sure how well the RCK would work with that press but Im thinking I may give it a try.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: midwestpredator

Why wouldn't you want it to "kick" off finished rounds?

If you really wanted NOT to have the kicker remove the case, I think you could do it. You have to return the press handle to the uppermost position so that it activates the "kicker". So what I think you could do is just NOT return the handle that far so the kicker arm kicks the case.

Grouse

For just loading my hunting rounds, kicking the live round off the press wouldn't be a big deal. I would just rather remove them manually when Im doing load work up so I can make sure to keep everything in order.

How would one keep the shell holder from turning?
When Im doing them by hand the shell holder never stays in the same spot.
Looking at the kicker I can see that the SH would still move just due to the nature of sliding in a case, unless Im missing something.

Sorry, the Rapid Case Kicker currently only works with RCBS Rock Chucker Models. A universal Rapid Case Kicker is in the works and I hoped to have the design done, but I am still refining the design.

As far as the other member's question about the shell plate rotating, I have always been able to direct the shell plate and it will remain in that spot. The spring in the piston that holds the shell plate in also keeps it from turning under the minor amount of force and drag exerted when ejected.

I only hand remove the high precision rounds, I don't want a very tuned round I use for 1000 yard shots dropped into the bucket. Anything else I am okay with and have never had accuracy affected, I am just OCD about the long range ammo so I can't blame the miss on anything but my own inadequacies.

Back