JB Weld for Bedding ??

me

Do some of you actually use JB Weld as a bedding compound?
How does it work on synthetic stocks?
Does it bind to the synthetic material or do you still have to do the undercutting and the like?

I've probably done 15 or 16 rifles over the years but I've always used Acra-Glas. I've also only done wooden stocks. I now have a Savage 93 with a synthetic stock and will have a Remington Model Seven synthetic in about a week. I'll eventually want to bed these actions as I have on all the other rifles I've owned. If I can actually get better results on the synthetic stocks with JB Weld, I might consider using that instead of Acra-Glas.....

Thanks!

me!

I've never used it for bedding, but if I'm not mistaken, JB Weld is nothing more than epoxy with powdered aluminum mixed in. I would think that it's got to essentially be the same, or very close to the same compound as Steel-Bed or Devcon. Should be fairly easy to work with as well. Please keep us posted if you decide to try it as a bedding compound.

The only problem I could see is that it might be a t bit more runny than you would like. I don't think there would be any cost savings tho.

SKB -

I'm not at all worried about saving $$..... I get at least two or three bedding jobs out of one Acra-Class kit before I forget and leave the jars uncovered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was just thinking that, if it adhered to synthetic stocks - like it does everything else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - it would save me all the trouble of undercutting or drilling holes in the stocks to give the bedding compound a foothold.

Given the opportunity, I will always take the course of action that requires the least effort! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I tried it once - ONCE - stuff made a big mess. Just to runny after it sits awhile. Might work if you mix a bunch of glass fibers into it, but otherwise it just ran all over the place

I've used J-B weld for bedding a few times. Has worked well for me. One advantage is it is easy to find at hardware and auto part stores..especially on a Sunday when your buddy brings 2 rifles over and says "make em shoot, will ya".

The trick to getting a good bond is to rough up the surfaces and make sure everything is very squeaky clean...I use Acetone. I advise you do the undercutting regardless. It gives the epoxy some thickness and also ensures you don't have any spots where epoxy is completely squeezed out and allows the action to hit bare stock. Also you definitly want clearance on the sides bottom and front of the recoil lug, the magazine, bolt, safety, etc.

Acra -Glas works well for me for the second "finish" bed as it flows well and shrinks almost none when used that thin.

My favorite is actually Devcon titanium but it's hard to find and will definitely set you back a few bucks.

If I were you I'd forget the JB Weld. Go to almost any boat store and get a small container of Marine-Tex. This is a rock solid epoxy that does not shrink (the big issue with bedding compounds) and will stick to about anything. I find it easier to work with than anything else I've used. You stick a glob of Marine-Tex some where and it stays there, unlike several other products, Marine-Tex does not seem to run as it sets.

I have used Acraglas, Acragel and JB Weld. I like JB Weld merely because it is easily available at local hardware store. Its strength is not inferior to the Acra stuff and I did not find it any more difficult to use than the Acra cousins either. It is also easier to dispense from its tube than Acraglas.

I'll have to try out Marine-Tex on next job. How much does it cost for a set of Marine-Tex?

Howard

I've bedded several rifles with JB Weld. It is more fluid than Acraglass Gel, but I planned for that and the jobs worked out ok. The rifles I did all shoot well, and I haven't seen any negative aspect from using it. The only down side I can see it the gray color. It just doesn't match a Walnut stock. Otherwise it's ok.
Don

Quote:
The only down side I can see it the gray color. It just doesn't match a Walnut stock. Otherwise it's ok.

LOL!! Guess you're just gonna haveta go out and get yourself a Remington 710! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well..... Since I've still got half a thing of Acra-Glas here left over from my last 2 rifles..... I guess I'll just use that on the next 2..... I was really hoping that I'd hear that the JB Weld binds real easily to synthetic stocks..... But since it doesn't bind any better, guess I'll just keep it for other little jobs.....

Thanks for all the replies and info!

me!

Howard Nguyen - It depends on where you get it and how much you get. Sounds like an obvious answer doesn't it. I get mine at marine supply stores.

Many years ago I had a barely roughed out fiberglass stock blank to bed and it needed ALOT of bedding work. So I got a can (about a pint) that cost about $20.00, its probably more expensive now. There was alot of material there for bedding. This kit is made for big, small or in between jobs, just follow the mixing insructions, reseal the can and have at it.

Since then I've been getting a small kit just perfect for a bedding job for about $10.00. The only down side or upside if you will, to the small kit is that the product is premeasured. Dump in the hardener mix and bed. It's easy to use, but can be a waste of material if you only need a small amount.

O-o-o-ow-w-w-w!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
That hurts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have used Devcon for at least 20 years with very good results but the marine tex is a lot cheaper. Maybe I will give it a try?

No matter what you use, for the best job, you have to do it twice. They all shrink, some more than others, but all need that last couple thousandths layer.

Even on a glue-in I bed them twice before I glue-in with straight epoxy.

I am convinced that a glue-in can not be beat with the smaller calibers. For the larger calibers a barrel block is my favorite.

Jack

Stupid question, but if you use JB Weld (or any of the other compounds mentioned), what do you use for the release agent? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back