Favorite .17 Remington loads with 25 grain bullets

Rustydust

Hey Guys

It's been a while since I tried a new load for my .17 Remington. The main reason is that for the last 10 years or so I have mainly shot ground squirrels around here where I live and once a year I go to Wyoming and pop a few big fat prairie dogs with it. Now THAT is fun! Varget has been my choice of powder for these bullets and they will often cluster right around a half inch.

Anyway, I have been using the 20 grain and (less so) the 25 grain Vmax for several years on these critters and they worked great. But I seem to have accumulated around 3-4000 rounds of different kinds of 25 grain hollow points. Nosler, Calhoon, Mid-South, and some customs that I got off of Ebay a few years ago.

And yesterday- low and behold sitting on the shelf was brand new can if IMR-4320 all by its lonesome so......figured that it was time to break out all of those 25 grainers that I got and try a few of YOUR favorite loads. Sure, I could go back and look at all of the IMR 4320 loads using 25 grain bullets data that has been around for the last 40+ year but I want some new stuff and what is working for you right now.

So then, I am interested in any 25 grain HP and any primer and any powder as long as it's IMR-4320.

Watcha got for me?

Originally Posted By: crowslayer1723.0gr IMR4320, 25gr Hornady HP, Rem 7 1/2 BR, OAL = 2.206", 3606fps

OK that's a start! Do you know what kind of groups that you are getting with it? That part is pretty important to me.

I got my best groups with 24 gr IMR 4320 & Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, but I can't remember my OAL with Berger Match Target or Hornady HP's off the top of my head. I loaded a bunch at 24.5 gr last year and still have some to mess with. I have to say I haven't been a high volume guy with my gun. It needs a new stock and some trigger work...and more brass before I get crazy with it and buckle down. I worked my loads up from 22-24.5 in .2 increments. There were some accurate loads between 22 and 24, I just wanted to get more speed at that time.

The 24.5 load has cratered primers at times, BTW. Be careful.

This was all with Rem brass too.

Back around 1979 when I got my first .17 Rem I really don't remember trying anything but IMR 4320. I did not get super groups with it but it was OK. I still had some of those same loads when I got .17 #2 which was a CZ527 and they only did OK in that gun as well but it shot like a houseafire with Varget and 20 grain Vmaxes. So now I got all these 25 grain HP's that do not seem to like Varget all that well and figured that I would go full circle and see how they do with the 4320 again. All I can do is try and hopefully it will find a load that it really likes.

Rusty,

I have had great success with the Hornady 25 HP and IMR-4320. The only other bullet I have tried (since the Hornady was so good) is the Kindler 25 gr (not the Golds). It shot in or about .5 but the Hornady beats it by quite a bit out of my CZ 527.

Here's another forum a short while back where I posted some photos of groups I got.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...-%20Post2722993

Why thanky! I must have missed that one altogether.

That's what I like about this place. Get to find out loads that work for real people- not just what is published in a book somewhere.

Mine was in another thread also, but here it is for you Rusty..

The one on the left.

Kimber17Targets.jpg

That's just what I am hoping to find right there. Thank you. Back in the good old days when I had my very own 250 yard shooting range on the property that I lived on I could just whip up a new load and step outside to my shooting bench and try them out. Was easy and fun to see what if any tiny changes in my loads did for accuracy.

Nowadays I am forced to load up my truck and make the drive (2 miles, OK- not so bad) to the range here in town to try out something different so usually I am taking at least 10 different loads with me when I go. But still, I go during the week when the range is the least used and take a handmade cigar and a thermos of coffee with me and I can make it quite the enjoyable day.

My load wiith IMR 4320 ended up being 23.6gr with the Hornady 25gr HP and same load for the 25gr Berger match varmit. 24gr was a little to hot in my Rem 700 bdl. Groups were good at 100 yards they are under an inch, so they will make a good hunting load.

My m700 likes the hornady hp at 2.150 col. The calhoon have a longer bearing surface. I ran them around 2.120, better on coyote then the Berger varmint.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: crowslayer1723.0gr IMR4320, 25gr Hornady HP, Rem 7 1/2 BR, OAL = 2.206", 3606fps

OK that's a start! Do you know what kind of groups that you are getting with it? That part is pretty important to me.

Don't have an exact measurement off hand but I know you can cover them with a dime at 100 yards.

The earlier load I gave was in a Sako S491.
Here is another load for my Tikka 595 24.2gr IMR4320, Rem 7 1/2BR, 25gr Hornady HP, OAL 2.206", Unknown velocity. It has shot groups as small as 1/4".
Here's another for my Remington Model 7 24.2gr IMR4320, Rem 7 1/2BR, 25gr Hornady HP, OAL 2.223, 3497fps, shooting about an inch. This gun has never been as accurate.

I have also developed loads for the Tikka with CFE223 @ 4221fps and H322 @ 3926fps that shoot excellent.

Originally Posted By: RustydustThat's just what I am hoping to find right there. Thank you. Back in the good old days when I had my very own 250 yard shooting range on the property that I lived on I could just whip up a new load and step outside to my shooting bench and try them out. Was easy and fun to see what if any tiny changes in my loads did for accuracy.

Nowadays I am forced to load up my truck and make the drive (2 miles, OK- not so bad) to the range here in town to try out something different so usually I am taking at least 10 different loads with me when I go. But still, I go during the week when the range is the least used and take a handmade cigar and a thermos of coffee with me and I can make it quite the enjoyable day.

I am fortunate that my shooting range is just outside my door. Also fortunate that my 6lb. rifle shoots that well from the bench and trust me, it shoots those groups consistently........even if I don't do my part
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: K22
I am fortunate that my shooting range is just outside my door. Also fortunate that my 6lb. rifle shoots that well from the bench and trust me, it shoots those groups consistently........even if I don't do my part
lol.gif

Ah well, those were the days. But when the chance came to move to Idaho and get a better paying job to boot I jumped at it.

I also miss having deer to shoot at in my back yard. What I don't miss is the high crime, boom boom boom cars and thugs walking around with their pants almost to their knees selling drugs on every corner in the projects. Don't miss that none at all.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: K22
lol.gif

Ah well, those were the days. But when the chance came to move to Idaho and get a better paying job to boot I jumped at it.

I also miss having deer to shoot at in my back yard. What I don't miss is the high crime, boom boom boom cars and thugs walking around with their pants almost to their knees selling drugs on every corner in the projects. Don't miss that none at all.

Thankfully we don't have that here.......yet!! To far into the mountains for that crowd so far.
I would move to Idaho in a heart beat is I could find work. I've been there a few times and really loved it.

Oddly enough I have ended up with 23.5 grains of 4320 with different HP bullets and different primers in 3 different .17 Remingtons. I did try different powder charge weights, different powders, plastic tipped, and hollow point bullets. 2 of the rifles are mine. One shoots the 25 grain Woodchuck Den HPs really well. That is a tiny 5 shot group when .17 caliber bullet holes in a target are all touching in one little round cluster.

23.0-24.0g IMR 4320 has been a slam dunk for the Berger 25's in my 700's, and one custom.

USE A THICK CUP PRIMER

Velocity is in the 4100+ area, work up in .3g increments.

Seating dept is critical, and can't stress this enough.

Watch your copper fouling.

Back during the dog wars, partner and I had 4 of them that we took on each trip. We shot each till the bullets started hitting the ground 35 yards from us(usually in the 125 round area). We shot a hot load of Win 760.

Good luck

Whats your load with cfe223?Originally Posted By: crowslayer17The earlier load I gave was in a Sako S491.
Here is another load for my Tikka 595 24.2gr IMR4320, Rem 7 1/2BR, 25gr Hornady HP, OAL 2.206", Unknown velocity. It has shot groups as small as 1/4".
Here's another for my Remington Model 7 24.2gr IMR4320, Rem 7 1/2BR, 25gr Hornady HP, OAL 2.223, 3497fps, shooting about an inch. This gun has never been as accurate.

I have also developed loads for the Tikka with CFE223 @ 4221fps and H322 @ 3926fps that shoot excellent.

Russ,
Don't waste your time and money working up a loads with all those 25 grainers. I'll pm you my address and shipping instructions
smile.gif

Jim,
I got that same size drill bit!

Back