Simmons Predator Quest 4.5-18 Review

Recon Ops

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this review has been likely done before, but I wanted to add my experience anyway if this is the case.

I purchased a new product from Ruger. The Ruger American Rifle in .243 Predator model. The Scope is the Simmons Predator Quest Model 4.5-18x. Here is a picture of my setup at the range.

Despite many people's disparaging comments on the Simmons brand in general, I went ahead and purchased this scope through Amazon for $115 plus shipping. I purchased the scope b/c it fit my budget and the other overwhelming reason was the following:

From all the reviews I'd read and listened to from other people, I never found a negative review from an actual owner of the scope. I found that the negative comments came from former owners of former generations and models of either Simmons brands scopes or less expensive scopes in general. All the printed and video'd reviews were very positive from current owners.

Here is a recap at the range. I mounted and bore sighted the scope/rifle myself using Weaver tactical rings. I bore sighted it in at 50 yards. I did not fire a shot at the 50 yard target, but chose instead to trust the bore sight job and fire at the 100 yard range instead, wondering how it would perform. Here is the picture from the first 3 bullets fired at 100 yards.

I was ecstatic about the bore sighting results. That was a very small group with no adjustment in the windage or elevation on the turrets.

So, I moved to the 200 yard range next. After some fine tuning, here was my best group at 200 yards. It was sunny with a slight breeze, 75 degrees, 4600 feet elevation.

Folks, if I don't say so myself, those are some very very fine results. That is a 1 inch group at 200 yards with a $359 rifle and $115 scope. I was extremely impressed. Impressed enough to where I thought I should come and post my review others to see. As you can also see, I was using a the Primos Group Therapy bench rest that I also just purchased. I hope this is useful to someone or just interesting to anyone else who reads this.

Nowhere does the saying "You get what you pay for" ring more true than with a rifle scope. If your low-cost glass stands up and holds zero ... consider yourself fortunate. You can't beat the odds on cheap scopes for very long.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HidalgoNowhere does the saying "You get what you pay for" ring more true than with a rifle scope. If your low-cost glass stands up and holds zero ... consider yourself fortunate. You can't beat the odds on cheap scopes for very long.
wink.gif

For the most part I agree. There are other things to compare when doing a review. Clarity of glass especially at low light, Click repeatability, tracking... Etc.
I have been let down on more than one occasion by inexpensive scopes. Many will get the job done, but few if any will compare to top quality glass.
I have a couple simmons Atec scopes that I have been running for years on several different rifles. They have been beat hard and still hold zero extremely well but lack in tracking, click repeatability, and clarity of glass at low light especially compared to high end scopes. But...they are sufficient for my intended use.

Thanks for your review.

Yah, great thought. I did have the scope and rifle out last night in the dusk timeline. It seemed pretty clear, crisp, and bright to me. I was surprised. Then again, I've never had the opportunity to look through the lenses of a $500 scope.

It will definitely fill my intended needs. The point is well taken in that I should have mentioned several other aspects of the scope, b/c I did call it a review. I guess I should have called it "Range Results".

The scope did also come with a detachable sun shade as well. Thanks for the comments and encouragement folks.

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade. Sorry if it came across that way. Glad it is working for you. I have a 40 year old Tasco on a rimfire that is still working as well as the day it was new. Probably cost $40 or so. But I wouldn't bank on me getting another one that is of that quality. Sometimes you get fortunate.

I have the same scope except in 6-24 that I haves used for two years on a prairie dog rifle.Been very happy clear optics and repeatable adjustment,The only problem is I can't use the full magnification because of the heat waves but the high dollar scopes have the same problem.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoNowhere does the saying "You get what you pay for" ring more true than with a rifle scope. If your low-cost glass stands up and holds zero ... consider yourself fortunate. You can't beat the odds on cheap scopes for very long.
wink.gif

If I cared to state how many scopes I have seen fail, some would not believe me. Brands that come to mind are Simmons, Bushnell, Burris, Shepherd, Redfield, Tasco, Swift....Multiples of each.

Certain models of the cheaper brands have been okay. Especially fixed powers and older Jap made models. Scopes with AOs have been probably the worst.

High powered low priced variables with AOs are the ones I'll not waste my time on. It is usually just a matter of time with them. Even if they don't fail altogether, they are the undisputed wandering zero KINGS......

I am looking for a budget high power scope to use strictly for load testing to get up close on the bulls eye at 100. Sounds liks could work. How clear and fine are the cross hairs at 18x?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunMay be the last scope I would buy to test loads.....

+1. If you want a scope for testing loads get something better.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: 2muchgunMay be the last scope I would buy to test loads.....

+1. If you want a scope for testing loads get something better.

+2. Scope has to be accurate or you'll go through 8# of powder trying to find something that shoots right.

I have a similar Simmons scope in the 6x21 for the past 4 years and also an older front-adjust 6x21 for 10 years.

The difference between these scopes and much better scopes hasn't been ability to hold zero or durability. The take away is optical quality at high mag settings. It's very evident if I do a side-by-side comparison.

But I say so what? This was not a shocking revelation to me, it was totally expected. A $200 is not as good as a $1000 scope, everybody gets that.

The thing is, what kind of a retread is going to put a $1500 scope on a $400 rifle? For most hunters budget IS a factor and throwing unlimited amounts of money at each and every gun in the collection just can't happen.

Personally, I'm not willing to invest thousands of dollars in each of my varmint rifles because I've wised up over time and to me, varmint rifles are throwaways. The barrels burn out, they suffer from heat and grit exposure, and at the end of the day we're just shooting at a bunch of overgrown rats. There is NO point to me in using $2000+ worth of rifle/scope to do a job that $800 does just as well.

Compromises have to be made and IMO, as long as you're willing to live with the obvious limitations that everyone knows about, Simmons perform just fine.

Grouse

Cheers for staying within a budget! And staying married for 14 years! Great discussion everyone. It's good to see all view points. This forum is truly a great place to come for different points of view and lots of learning.

Last edited:

In general I don't much care for Simmons, but I do currently have a couple that have been very good scopes. One is the old model Atec, and the other is their 3x9 22 scope. I have had both for several years and they have given me good service, and I can't argue with the price I paid for them.

Grouse made a good point, at least to my thinking. I have more Leupolds (10 or more) than anything else, but I just can't afford to put a Leupold or other top dollar scope on everything. I have had good success with a few lesser scopes over the years. They work for me and that's what is important.

Everybody has their own experiences/POVs.

I have personally seen 2 Simmons Aetecs fail under heavier recoil. Have also watched 3 Aetecs that are still going strong for around 20 yrs now. In fairness, they don't get used much.

Everybody has their budget and what they are willing to spend given the amount of use a scope will see, and under what conditions.

For myself, a "cheapie" means a VX-1, Weaver Classic, or Redfield Revolution. In my mind, they are the cheapest scopes I can buy without worry of failure. If I was unable to afford one, I would save my money until I could. Anything lesser is not an option.

Of all the cheaper model scopes, the LAST ones I will buy are high powered with AOs. Period. Most are subpar optically on higher power, and IMO they are the most prone to failure and/or not tracking correctly. I have seen it enough times to consider it a waste of my time/money.

The vast majority of my scopes are Leupolds. VX3s, VX2s, Mark 4s, etc. They do what I want them to do at a price that I feel is reasonable, given the product/performance.

The "cheaper" scopes that I actually use that do not say "Leupold" or "Nightforce" on them include:

Weaver Classic 3-9x38
Weaver T36
Weaver KT15
2 Burris FF2 LRS 3-9x40s

I have 3 new VX1s here:

2-7x33 heavy duplex
2-7x28 Rimfire
4-12x40 with CDS added

They are easily better than the older model VXI 3-9x40 that I picked up in a trade a couple years back. The first 2 on the list have been superb so far. That latter is still sitting in the box, unused.

I have basically "phased out" my Weaver Classics and Redfields in favor of the new VX1. Sold my Vortex Viper 3-9x40 as well. I really think this new VX1 is a lot of scope for the money.

I'll keep the Weaver target scopes, as they are EXCELLENT for the money, and track superbly. The 2 Burris FF2s will stick around because they have lighted reticles and are on a couple of predator/snow rigs and have been cerakoted white. I also really like the LRS electro dot reticle in them for hunting. Even though I have had 2-3 FF2s fail.

As for the old Weaver Classic 3-9x38, every time I take it off something and toss it in a box, IT KEEPS COMING BACK. IT CANNOT BE KILLED
ohmy.gif
grin.gif

Back