An Unforgettable First

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
This could not have been scripted better in Hollywood.

Earlier this year I was introduced to Anton by a mutual friend in the competitive shooting community. Anton is a 14 year old young man who has shown a lot of skill and interest in competitive shooting. He also is interested in hunting, so our mutual friend thought that I might give Anton a hand getting into predator hunting. I was all to willing to help pass on what so many PM members like Jeff Mock and Byron South and others have shared with me. Anton joined me on his first predator hunt a few months back. First time out he got a shot at his first coyote but didn't connect. Second and third time out we got to see coyotes but didn't get a shot. So a few weeks ago Anton called and asked about fox and bobcat hunting. So he and I planned a hunt for this weekend.

Mr. Murphy must have also gotten the memo, since the weather report was calling for winds up to 30 mph all over AZ. When I went out to load up the Mule it began pouring rain. I had my doubts about the day.

We got to our area and as we rolled in I told Joe (one of my regular partners) and Anton that I wanted to pull a sun up stand. So rather than unloading the Mule, we simply slid out of the truck and went up the wash.

I set Anton next to me and had Joe watching to our extreme left. 9 minutes into the stand I see a fox crest the hill ahead of us. I whisper to Anton and we both swiveled up the wash. Nothing showed. I dropped the volume and switched to gray fox distress. I glimpse a gray fox slinking in to my left, hidden in the brush. The fox stopped short so that Anton couldn't get a clear shot past me. I figured that we needed to make the shot, so I fired my shotgun into the fox.

Suddenly up the hill ahead of us two other foxes make a break for it. I turn and see what I thought was a 3rd for making a break for it as Anton swung and fired a shot. I send a shot at one of the other foxes and Anton sends a second shot uphill. It was then that I see feet and the brush shaking. I told Anton to get up there that he had one down. As Anton approached the bush he said that he could see it down and as he watched it took it's last breath. I told him to pull it out of the bush. As he was reaching in he said, "Boy, foxes sure are big."

He then comes out with two huge things. One was the coyote that he shot and the other was a grin from ear to ear. His "fox"turned out to be a coyote. So we had managed to call in 3 foxes and the coyote. He was pumped. It was all he could do to catch his breath. But once he did, and we got photos he was ready to go again.

So off we went. We pulled a dry stand, then on stand #3, with Anton right next to me we again were about 9 minutes in when this gray fox pops up on a rock above us. The fox gets up and takes a look down at the caller. Anton and I realized that the fox was a bit far for him, so I decided to go ahead and take the shot. The video is a bit quick and the fox is out there about 40 yards, but it is still fun to watch.

So we did a total of 7 stands. We called in 4 foxes and a coyote and shot 2 of the foxes and Anton's coyote. I still think the smile is the best thing we got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Great job on getting him out there and even better job on putting the animals in front of him and giving him the opportunity to connect. Those will be lifelong memories for him and you.

That is straight up awesome! Very good write up and deserving of hunter of the month... You oughta suggest to Anton to become a member of PM... Again great write up... Thanks for sharing it with us.

Congratulations on taking and introducing a younger feller to the art of predator hunting, my hats of to ya. And persistence sure does pay off. Good calling,good memories and more to come.

Great job SnowmanMo!
thumbup.gif

reading these write ups are the best part of PM. congratulations and way to go getting new kids out there to enjoy hunting

Good for you Snowman! Those are the kinds of things they will never forget. You can rest well... you've got some good karma coming your way
smile.gif

Bob

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

With our anti-gun, anti-hunting brothers and sisters out there spouting their rhetoric and poison to anyone who will listen in the media the only way that we can push back is to SHOW the next generation the truth. There is so little substance to their rhetoric, but people will listen, unless you show them otherwise. It then becomes a fact and not just an opinion. The smile that Anton has is all the proof that we need that hunting is an important part of our heritage and is something that people need to pass along. That young man comported himself well above his 14 years. He shows personal responsibility and respect, and I am just glad to be a small part of that.

Now, off my soapbox, the fun that these kids have and the joy is infectious. Better than crack. To be able to share my sport and all the fine people that I have met in the sport and see it TRULY enjoyed and appreciated makes all those long days and dry stands worth while.

I will pass along the link to the post and encourage Anton to join on the jr forum, I think that was a great suggestion. Maybe he can join us down at the PM convention in Tucson.

Thanks again guys.

Back