Fur Buyers in Eastern MT/Western ND/Fur handling

Dmanuel

Hey does anyone know of any fur buyers in eastern MT/western ND, I live in Fairview MT right on the ND Border. Also when getting a pelt ready for sale(coyote)I need to skin flesh and then stretch and dry it, is that all I need to do? If so what is the proper way to store them? And how long can one store them? I am new to the selling pelts. Doesn't seem many know who buys fur around here when I ask around. I am probably asking the wrong people. I did talk to a fur buyer that lives pretty far away from me he only buys the coyotes whole within 24 hours of being killed. Any help or info would be appreciated

There are a lot of depends answers to your questions.

If you are somewhere very cold and freeze them whole, you can take your time skinning them. If you skin them and roll them right so you don't get freezer burn they can be stored like that a long time.
If you skin, flesh, clean, Form, sew and "put up" they can store for a long time in the right conditions.
For how to skin, Because buyers want it a certain way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9HujqIeGl0&list=UUPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA
Fleshing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E56TbpYR8lg&list=UUPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

Basically just watch his video's on what to do from start to finish. Other people will have other ways of doing it. But, he puts up over 200 coyotes and sends them in to sell. You will find what works for you, but it's a good starting point.

If you can't find a buyer local, then you may want to look into sending them to NAFA and creating an account. Some people prefer this and if you batch send the pelts in, saving on shipping, then you could save some money. I am a toss up on this one.
He has a video of watching the auction. It's kind of a lot to take in.

Here is my Junior i will defer to others that have more experience on it understanding.

You create the account, and then when you send in your pelts, they store them for the scheduled auctions that are coming up, and then they grade them. Once they are graded they are put into the lot's and then the auction you can watch is of each lot and the sale price per pelt.
Once it's all said and done, you get your check (minus fee's) for each coyote you sent in that was in each lot.
The up in the air, is the shipping and the handling fee's. Your local buyer may pay you $75 for a prime Montana Coyote. That is a check right there that day. They send it to one of the auction places. Where you could set up the account yourself and send it. The auction goes off and instead of getting $75 the buyer gets $100 or $65 it's an auction and gamble.

Just something to decide.
Or, you could send them in to be tanned and make things with the hides and sell them to the local shops that get tourist or on line.

Either way, good for you for doing something with the pelts. I personally feel that it's respectful to use the pelts for something. As long as you can at least break even for your time. That all depends on the person and what they feel their time is worth.

Thank you I do live in a pretty cold place. I will probably shoot a coyote and then just skin and flesh it and if I find a buyer show him to see what I can do better, which probably will be a lot lol. I just got a number from a guy 2 hours away that is the closest so far but he does come here occasionally to pick up from what I understand.

I think that you should look at getting or making a fleshing board, pins, Fleshing knife, and a set of Victorinox pairing knives and a couple of stretchers. i would also suggest a washing tub, and a rake type brush to get burs and knott's out.
I made my stretchers but i have a band saw and planner, which allows me to make my stretchers from a $2 2x4.

I did pick up a wire stretcher I have a smaller skinning knife but will look for the pairing knives and the other items you mentioned. As for how many I plan to kill I am not sure lol, my plan is to kill one or two then skin, flesh and stretch. Then see how that goes I know it is going to take me awhile to get a couple done until I get used to it and do it right. If I get it down pretty good I plan to kill a lot. We have a couple big coyote hunt tournaments here and there are some fur buyers that come down when those are going on, so hopefully I will get some connections then and get everything figured out. I am pretty comfortable on doing it myself I have watched numerous you tube videos lol. I know its all different and harder when i do it myself.

Skinning takes practice and I suggest watching the links that i sent you for the most efficient way of doing it.
It used to take me a while, but on the average it takes me about 15 min each. I usually do that in the field. remember that it is better to cut into the meat than the hide. Fleshing a little meat off is easy, sewing holes takes a lot more time.
Fleshing takes about 15 minutes. with a Fleshing board and fleshing knife and pairing knife it's not bad. Usually first timers spend to much time trying to scrape that membrane off. Just the meat and fat and thick clumps of membrane if there are any.
I got some uncoated floss and went to the sewing store and got the needle with the longest but narrowest opening that i could get the floss through without issue. Then bent it into a slight curve. to make sewing easier. use the pliers to pull the ear cartilage out and help with the sewing.

The wash tub to clean off the blood with dollar store shampoo, and then brush out the hair. put it on the stretcher and dry. flip, brush and let dry.
But take one to the tournament and ask for input on the putting up. Adjust and keep going.

I would say that you shouldn't get discouraged, it should take about 20 or so before you get to the point where it seems simple.

I was in miles city mt all of last Nov hunting coyotes, and there was a fur buyer in the area that was giving 25.00 for coyotes... in the raw.... on the hoof... or in the round.

I plan on being up there again this year...maybe further north this time.

With my limited knowledge of the coyotes, but familularity of the region you are in, if you are shooting prime coyotes up there, with that cold you should at the very least be getting twice what i was getting for my AZ coyotes instead of the same or less. I know that i have to put mine up, and do the work but, when i looked at the Fur, Fish, and Game mag it looks like your Montana coyotes should fetch $75. IF (big if) that is the case then you could make $50 per for skinning and putting them up.

T-Bones is giving very good advice.
putting up fur takes time to get right. its a learning curve for sure.
read,watch you-tube vids and don't be in a hurry right off. it will come but will take some time.
get GOOD equiptment and things will go easier.
you have a decent grade coyote where you live with some real top-notch ones also.
take your time, learn to do it well and reap the rewards
smile.gif

John Hughes is out of the Roundup area and Josh Lodge is the NAFA rep and he's out of the Great Falls area. Josh does have a route throughout the state later in the season.

I am in NW South Dakota about 210 miles, if you were closer I would say drop by and I could show you how I put up Coyotes. If you are ever this way during winter you can stop by and see how I do it.

Scott

Back