Side Chargers??

obaro

What have been your experiences with running side charging uppers on your AR's? Pro's, con's? Kind of looking at some different options right now on a build and would like to hear some outside input/ideas on upper receivers. Will be for a hunting/calling/truck gun.

Jp makes a great one that folds out of the way. Being left handed I prefer my side charging handle on the right side so I sold my jp and went With a white oak side charger. It's not as clean looking as the jp but functions well for the way I use it.

I have a 6x45 built on a Mega side charge upper with an Young Manufacturing BCG. I like it a lot. The design is simple and rugged, and you can use the charging handle to take the place of the forward assist should the need arise. After using it for a while I don't think I'll ever own another rear charger. It's not ideal for lefties, but I'm not a lefty.

The cons? You lose the dust cover and the shell deflector are the only ones I can think of. My rifles are target/hunting guns so the dust cover isn't a huge deal and the charging handle sticks out far enough that it should keep the errant shell case or two away from my cheek.

I'm in the process of slowly converting most of my rear chargers to side charging.

I'm in the process of parts gathering to build another and am looking at receiver/carrier options. Young is now selling a side charge upper receiver with a movable cover for the gas key channel. It looks really good, but is pretty expensive by the time you buy the receiver and bcg. JoeBobs has a side charge upper/bcg combo that looks attractive for about $100 less than the complete YM. It also comes in an ambi version for the lefties. Decisions - decisions.

Last edited:
I can't decide between the Gibbz Arms/Joebob's/NFA or ASA left side non-reciprocating, Crosshill Technologies ambi reciprocating, and the 2 Vets Arms left side reciprocating. They are all around the same price with BCG factored in/included so that's a wash. Reviews say non-reciprocating is "safer" and possibly less distracting, but with the reciprocating you can quietly charge a round similar to a forward assist. Anyone with side chargers have any opinions?

Last edited:
Been away for awhile some things happened around memorial day weekend and just getting back into swing of things... How are non recipocating safer? Are there tons of semi shotgun lawsuits every year because of semi shotguns and their side charge setup? I have the crosshill non ambient. I have no issues with it. I found it to be easier to be charged with gloves on and also works as the forward assist.. I find it also a bit easier to feed a round in quieter... I dont have the latch digging into my side when slinging it also as with my other AR when wearing light clothing.. Winter not a problem cause heavier clothing.. I will eventually build a few more ARs useing the crosshills side charger.. I see JB has a good price on them from what I paig for mine.. Down side to clean is to remove the BCG you have to remove the SCH and the retain screw in back which is no big deal to do..

That's why I put it in "" marks. Some people seem to think of the worst case scenario. I don't have much preference either way. Just wondering if people would prefer the non-reciprocating Gibbz/JB/NFA or ASA design over the Crosshill/2VA design.

Last edited:
Back