Tired of Jewell trigger. What next?

crapshoot

I have 2 Jewell triggers. The first one I had problems with and was told to send it back for a new one. So, I did. I really like the feel of them so much that I bought a second. I am now having problems with trigger #2 as well as trigger #1 again. I have adjusted, readjusted, removed, reinstalled and adjusted again. I'm tired of screwing with them. If I can get them to give me a refund, I plan on replacing them with something else. But what? I know everyone likes what they have but I would like to hear from those who have had a Jewell and switched. What they switched to and how it compares. I'd like to stay with a 2 stage if I can find something that feels as good or better than the Jewell but I am not opposed to go single stage. What say you who have been there and done that.

Originally Posted By: Mr Potato HeadI had a few different ones. No expert, but Geissele is the only one I buy now. Not cheap but nothing quality is.

The Jewell's weren't cheap either.

Again,
I know everyone likes what they have but I would like to hear from those who have had a Jewell and switched. What they switched to and how it compares.

I have never owned a Jewel in an AR. I do own a couple on Rem 700's and they are awesome. But I read a lot of reviews when I was looking into AR triggers and I steered clear. I went with Giessele and Timney, now I only own Giessele. If your not used to two stage triggers, it may take some getting used to. But once you do, there's no going back. Plus they will ignite any primer (.22, military, steel cased ammo), I couldn't say the same about Timney. I have a .22 upper, and the Timney wouldn't fire a single round out of it.

The DMR is my favorite for all around use.

I had a Geissele SD-E and it was not bad, but it did have a the slightest amount of creep in the second stage. I replaced it with a Wilson Combat TTU 2 stage and have no plans on using anything else from now on.

Jeff has recently raved to me about his Geissele 2 stage. I'm not j=sure exactly which one he has, you might want to ask him about it.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishJeff has recently raved to me about his Geissele 2 stage. I'm not j=sure exactly which one he has, you might want to ask him about it.

Jeff????

Geissele NM or DMR triggers are top quality and are adjustable.. These are my personal favorite triggers on my builds.. Sorry, never tried the jewel.. Good luck

I've used to own a timney for a while but it had a hint of creep in it that made me sell it. I also had a couple of light primer strikes, but that may have been due to the firing pin. I replaced it with a Geissele and have stuck with them ever since. The hammer falls with much more authority with the Geisseles. I had an SSAE that I really liked, and I still believe they are probably the best all around trigger for an AR. Now I have a Geissele HiSpeed Match in my Grendel, and because its such a nice trigger I replaced the SSAE in my sbr with the DMR.

Not too much difference between the SSAE and the DMR as it comes from factory.

Edit: I apologize, I just noticed you were looking for people that have experience with the jewel at trigger. I misread that, the only jewel I own is in the bolt gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84
Edit: I apologize, I just noticed you were looking for people that have experience with the jewel at trigger. I misread that, the only jewel I own is in the bolt gun.

No problem. So long as there is some explanation as to what you didn't like with what you had, what makes what you have now better than what you had, and are comparing top quality triggers.
I highly doubt Jewell will refund me anything. If I am lucky, they will replace both triggers at which time I'll sell them to help fund the replacements. But that is a best case scenario. More than likely I'll be stuck with what I have and have to live with it until I can afford to replace them out of pocket.

At the very least they should referbish it. I sent mine to them after I bought my rifle used because it had some creep and the gunsmith had glue the screws. They did charge me but they replaced anything that needed it and polished everything up for me.

I can give you a difference from what you have told us, I've never owned a jewel Ar trigger but do own a couple geissele triggers. The difference is once its in, your not gonna have to take it out to work on it, after you use it you won't want anything else.. If its two stage you want, get a geissele and adjust it to your liking and never look back .

Never owned a Jewell but am curious. Are you having problems after a lot of high round count shooting? I had considered a Jewell when I saw them on sale. But this may sway a future decision.

I don't shoot a lot. Maybe a couple hundred rounds a year. Could be how I adjust them. All know is I like how they feel the way I have them set up. The problems in the past were doubling or trip/quaddroopling. The most recent problem was when I took a Jewell trigger out of a lower that wasn't being used and installed it. Adjusted, function tested it using my fingers to catch the hammer and reset it and then went to shoot and sight in. Had problems from the get go. Would fire the first round and chamber the second but the hammer wouldn't reset. It would just follow the BCG home. Function tested usingy finger again and no problem. Function test by pulling the charging handle back. The trigger would set. Pull the trigger to drop the hammer. Kept the trigger pulled while I operated the charging handle to reset the trigger and NO GO. The hammer would just follow the BCG home. Started to trouble shoot. Adjusted trigger, same problem. Changed BCG and tested, same problem. Changed buffer and spring, same problem. Changed uppers, problem went away. Thought maybe it was something wrong with the upper. Put that upper on another lower with a Jewell trigger and no problem. Thought maybe it had something to do with the lowers pin holes being a tad out of spec. So I pull the Jewell trigger out of the lower that was having problem and switched it with the one in another lower. NO problems when function tested. Thought maybe it was the trigger. Put the trigger into a different lower. No problem when function tested. They work and feel great for a year or two (but low round count, maybe a couple hundo) and then something goes wrong and I start to have problems. At thus point, I'm tired of messing with them. Tired of having problems with them. And frankly, I just don't trust them anymore. Hope this rambling made some sence.

Well I think at this point I will rule out Jewell as a trigger choice, even on sale. I wondered if it was a high round count issue or just normal volume. Some things need tweaking with a lot of use. And a guy hates what appears to be mystery problems. Hard to have faith in something you put that much effort into finding the issue and still don't have a concrete answer. Thanks for the input.

Geiselle hands down, I rock the g2s perfect hunting trigger and my buddys got the super match which is the exact same trigger just adjustable to ur liking. Never looked back since never a single issue.

I have a Jewel in my AR lower that I shoot the most,had my smith install it and several thousand rounds later it's still going strong. I have geiselles also and they are nice but I wouldn't say they are any better.

I have a JP that was factory (came w/when purchased new, but not sure who did the work) installed and it has always worked after more than 1,000 rnds easily.
I would rate the single stage feel close to Timney maybe not quite as crisp but close.
Looks like it(JP trigger) would take a little work getting one set up properly. Installation Videos at bottom of page.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.2_fc.php

Back