primers?

nockhunter

What kind of primer you guys using in your AR's? I have been shooting and reloading for a lot of years, but never for an AR type of firearm. (.223/5.56)

Mike

Last edited:
I use CCI 0r Wolf Magnum type for both my .223s and .204...CCI also produces one under the name Arsenal that is great..

The cup is slightly thicker than the Standard small rifle and with the AR having a floating firing pin, the chance of a 'slam fire' is just much less...In all my competition shooting, I've only known one to happen to one of my fellow shooters using a reloads with standard primers..While there are a couple of other reasons it might have happened, the cost of the match for each of us was approx $1,000 with travel and related costs, and it disqualified him for the rest of the match...I'd rather not take the risk...

I bought a 1000ct box of the CCI #41's that are specifically for AR15's. I believe they are the Nato spec primer, they are a little harder than a standard small rifle primer as to reduce the chance of a slamfire in a AR. But ive also used CCI #400's and both seem to work just fine.

Thanks for the info, I have too see what I can locate. Has anyone had a slamfire with regular primers? I've heard that I should use tougher primers for the AR, like the CCI #41. I usually use Win, or CCI for most everything I reload. Pistol and rifles alike.

Mike

Apparently slam-fires are quite rare in AR's but that does not mean they are impossible. Anything is (admittedly remotely in AR's) possible when you slam a heavy bolt assembly which has a free floating firing pin on a live round.

Here is a bit of info that the OP might find interesting in that regard:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2071543

The bolt design on the AR is superior to the M1/M1A in preventing out of battery slam-fires due to oversized cartridges or high primers in that the extended bolt (prior to going into battery) makes it almost impossible for firing pin to reach the primer. The M1/M1A receiver has a cross bar, slotted to prevent FP from striking primer before bolt turns/enters into battery. A high primer or oversized round, however, is not protected. A broken firing pin in any SA rifle could cause a slam-fire.

I don't lose any sleep over the possibility of a slam-fire, even in the Garand/M1A, but do use a bit more care in reloading for any SA.

A bit more primer information:

Quote:CCI® No. 34 and No. 41
MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30

Regards,
hm

hm1996, thanks for the great info.
I've haven't fired too many Ars, and when I did I just shot the surplus ammo mostly. I have loaded tons of ammo for my 1911, and hipower so I understand the do's and don't for semi-autos. I have never had a slam sire from either. I think I will use WSR primers, it's what I use in my .222rem. In this state of "hard to find anything ammo related" I have to use what I can get.

Thanks to all
Mike

Mike, I would NOT use WSR primers in my ARs. CCI BR4 are a much better choice and the cost difference per primer is almost nothing. Primers are plentiful in most locations now.

Primers may be plentiful where you are, but not here. Oh, places have them, but usually not exactly what you may want. Or are limited on the amount. But thanks for the reply.

Mike

Unfortunately, NY is suffering from the political impact. Life is extra difficult for shooters & reloaders there.

If you feel you have to use Win Primers, change out your firing pin for a one made out of titanium. They are lighter but just as strong as the steel ones. You will find that they don't leave as big of a dent on an ejected live round.

Back