RCBS 1010 broke

Small parts versus dropping a scale and breaking the beam. Nobody in that conversation had any big issues. I have never heard of an RCBS no BS warranty either. They are good to work with on some things and not so good on others. My point is that if it is not defective why should they cover someone losing or breaking something by dropping it.

I had a large tumbler that they dont make any more because of defects. It sheared off just below the bowl and had a melt down. Melted my carpet and almost started a fire while I was not home. They took the bad one. After 4 months of waiting and lots of phone calls they finally sent me a used smaller one to use while I kept waiting for a replacement. The replacement never came. The finally offered me less than I paid or I could get the smaller one as a replacement based upon their price. The small one was the same price I paid for the big one. I took the smaller one since there was not going to be any other solution. Of course I kept the used one to make up the difference.

If I'm not mistaken the older 1010's were made in the USA while newer ones are made overseas. That may have something to do with their not wanting to help you out.

I called them to purchase a new beam,not for them to just give it away. I started getting a bit hot when they said they don't carry any replacement parts or a place that does except maybe o'hous. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to send them my complete scale but instead send them the broken beam as proof it was broke. The 2 pc beam could have fit into a couple dollar package instead of maybe 15. Ohous who does all their work should have parts but don't,can't figure that one out. It's no big deal and things like this happen,but it still puzzles me with them. I think I will call them back though and maybe someone else can give me a little more info.

I'm one who hates having to toss a whole something just bc an easily replaceable part broke. I can see where they might outsource the entire assembly, but you'd think that somehow parts would be available.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI'm one who hates having to toss a whole something just bc an easily replaceable part broke. I can see where they might outsource the entire assembly, but you'd think that somehow parts would be available.

"Sometimes" you can get a company to disclose the manufacturer (depends on who you get on the phone) and if you call and beg hard enough you can get a part that way. But that's a long shot.

yeah. If the warranty on the scale is 1 year, anything they do past that is gravy & not to be expected. Sometimes there just isn't anything they can do to help.

I just emailed them this week about a series of tools they discontinued & that I need one more of, on the off chance they might be able to be of some help. They weren't, but I had no reason to expect anything else either so I can't fault them for it.

I tend to agree with those who have suggested that the scale is probably outsourced, thus no replacement parts on hand.

Many years ago, before they made (or at least before I knew they existed??) bushing type neck sizing dies, I traced the bullet concentricity problem I was having with my long range ammo back to pulling the expander ball out of case neck. I had retired a very old RCBS full length sizing die that was just plain worn out and scratched case necks badly. Called RCBS, explained to the tech that the die did not owe me anything but wondered if they could open up the neck to resize my (neck turned) brass without use of the expander. (I emphasized that I would be happy to pay for this custom work.)

They did not quote a price, but told me to send them two or three once fired cases and my old die and they would perform the task. It's been a long time, but to the best of my recollection, about ten days later a package arrived from RCBS containing my old (or maybe a new) die. There was no charge!

Have never had a reason to rely on RCBS customer service since, but that one issue solidified this customer's relationship w/RCBS.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996...... but that one issue solidified this customer's relationship w/RCBS.

Regards,
hm

I think that in the big scheme of things, good and bad can be heard about every business in existence. Until a company builds a long-term reputation it's hard to grade them. That being said, RCBS, Redding, Lee, Browning, Ruger .... you name it ... have all been in business for ages because they generally make a good product and generally stand behind said products. Otherwise, they would have been out of business. And even then they aren't going to please each and every customer, as can be evidenced by some of the bad reports on good companies. Word travels extremely fast in the sporting goods network.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTEpoxy is your friend.

i was thinking JB weld but didn't know if it would throw it out of whack. Can't hurt to try though.
I did come accross an add where a guy was selling a bunch of rcbs scales,I contacted him to see if he had any parts and told him what I needed. He got back to me and he does have just the beam for the 10-10,wants postage for it. Good to come accross people like this.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LOriginally Posted By: MGYSGTEpoxy is your friend.

i was thinking JB weld but didn't know if it would throw it out of whack. Can't hurt to try though.
I did come accross an add where a guy was selling a bunch of rcbs scales,I contacted him to see if he had any parts and told him what I needed. He got back to me and he does have just the beam for the 10-10,wants postage for it. Good to come accross people like this.

I hope you bought it!

O'ya kinda. He wanted my address and when I sent it I asked for his he said don't worry about it and gave me the tr#. It's off of armslist so many times ya don't know but this seems legit.

I have a older 10 10 scale in good condition that I may part with if you are interested. I have three scales and I do not think I need three.

I have to wonder if rcbs would be hesitant to send a major scale part out after hearing that it fell to the floor and broke. There may a question on the condition of the rest of the scale after taking a tumble which may explain why they are only willing to replace the broken beam with the rest of the scale present?

Sometimes I think it depends on who answers the phone. Back in the early eighty's a friend bought me and him a RCBS hand priming tool for Christmas. Back then I lived in a small town and had to buy what shell holder the gun shop had. I had several that were not RCBS the bottoms didnt have the same chamfer as the RCBS shell holder. I was having a heck of a time using the tool. My buddy called RCBS and they sent him shell holders to replace his other brand shell holders. Wow that's great being young and broke I called RCBS hoping I got the same but I didn't different service rep. Oh well I cant expect RCBS to replace everyone's shell holders they would go broke. Maybe it was the way I approached the RCBS rep. I have allot of RCBS stuff and like it but for the past ten years my reloading room is turning Dillon Blue I guess the only thing I bought blue that I don't use is their electronic scale, I use RCBS beam.

Ok this scale is messing with my head. I did get another 10-10 beam from a guy. I leveled my scale and after removing a few of the lead shot from the pan to get it to zero perfectly. I put my check weight(250gr) that came with the scale on the pan and it doesn't balance by 3gr. I checked the weight with my charge master and it comes up at 250gr. Am I missing something?

Got me. Do the beams look identical? Can you weigh them on another scale to see if there's any weight difference?

Even though they appear identical. The new replacement beam itself weighs 1062.0 gr. the broken beam weighs 1049.8

Back