3rd round is always a flyer

YoteslayerWA

So yesterday I started load development for my .308 win and every third shot is always a flyer. I am using Hornady match brass, cci 200 primers, Hornady 168gr BTHP. The manuel says min powder charge is 42gr and max is 46. My gun is a 1:10 twist Savage Fcp. I started Out working up from 42 grains and shooting 3 shot groups every half grain. It shot about 1 inch groups around min and also around max charge. But all of the groups I would shoot, the 3rd round would always be off by an inch or so. First 2 would typically be touch and the third not very good. I took about 20 minutes between groups to keep a cool bore. I tried 3 different seating depths as well. I had some factory hornady match 168 bthp that I shoot 1/2 moa all day with. So my question is why is the 3rd shot always a flyer with all the loads?

I had the same problem with a Savage 11 243 and had the same results as you with several different bullets and powders, finally took the best load I had found and just kept trying different seating depths until I found the magic one, after that it would consistently shoot that load at that seating depth with all three touching for < .5" groups every time I shot it for groups.

Originally Posted By: YoteslayerWASo my question is why is the 3rd shot always a flyer with all the loads?

Have you tried shooting 5 shot groups? Sometimes it's "operator error".
wink.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure I almost always shoot 5 rounds and have 4 that can be covered with a dime, and one that is an inch or slightly more away.
Most certain that the flyer is usually the first round.
These are my best results from best shooting rifle`s and reloads, not every firearm in the safe.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogRifle?
Heavy barrel or standard?

Little more info please.

Sorry,didn't read the whole post. So factory ammo doesn't have flyers and reloads do? Not saying its operator but you might let someone shoot a group just to rule it out. Also you might try a different powder/bullet combo. I like SMK's and Bergers.

I actually did have someone else shoot some groups. My buddy that was helping me do the load development shot a few groups and was the same results. I was thinking of going a bit heavier and trying either the 175 smk or 190 smk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGShoot 4-shot groups, only skip the 3rd shot and continue immediately to the 4th.
I`m going to try this next time out...soon as corn is harvested..lol

Make sure the stock is fully floated? Last two savages I had, required sanding the channel a bit to be fully free floated. Im getting 1" at 300 with my 6.5 creedmoor. Even at the end of a 12 round string.

Last edited:
Three shots isn't enough to show a rifle that is really double grouping. Try five shots at least. Ten even better. Chances are, those aren't flyers at all but will just disappear into the group with more shots.

With five shots, if it's shooting four and ones, try different bullets. If it's shooting three and two's, bedding or scope are likely.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: varminter185 Im getting 1" at 300 with my 6.5 creedmoor. Even at the end of a 12 round string.

12 shots inside a 1 inch circle at 300 yards? really?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: varminter185 Im getting 1" at 300 with my 6.5 creedmoor. Even at the end of a 12 round string.

12 shots inside a 1 inch circle at 300 yards? really?

Amazing ain't it. There's probably only a handful of guys in the world that can put a dozen consecutive shots inside a 1" circle at 300 yards and we got one right here on PM.... How privileged are we!

Originally Posted By: varminter185 Im getting 1" at 300 with my 6.5 creedmoor. Even at the end of a 12 round string.

I would love to see/hear some more about this rifle. Pictures would be great
thumbup.gif
. .32MOA for 12 shots is pretty good at 100, rather impressive at 300!

Back