22 Creedmoor up and running

venatic

This gun came about as I was visiting with Derrick Ratliff of Horizon firearms about re-barreling a Remington Model Seven from 300 SUAM to a 6.5 Creedmoor for a good customer of mine who tasked me with getting it done.
During the process of talking about the spec's on that gun coyote hunting came up in the conversation and it seemed one of his specialties is building 22-243's. That led to the question ..well have you done that same neck-down on the Creedmoor? No was the answer but he cannot say that any longer.
thumbup.gif

I know the gun picture is not that good but I have not had good light each time I have taken it out to the range.

Its another Model Seven that was a 7mm/08 but now with a new barrel and stock and hopefully by Friday a new Huber trigger.
Horizon did flute the bolt and Cerakote to match the stock.Tried a few loads and today re-shot one of the best velocity wise to see if it would repeat the last session where I chronographed 10 rounds but with the Magnetospeed hooked to the barrel my group was just about MOA.

First shot three with no chrono. All these are 75gr AMax's.

Then shot the remaining 4 rounds with the Chrono on the barrel.POI did move up slightly but grouped fine.

Speeds

And for those of us that like larger sample sizes. This was previous chrono session
422a982a4b26c00e6c7dbe9bba1723e5.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterVery nice. A bullet weight might be helpful.

Greg

Duly Noted and added.
thumbup1.gif
75Gr AMax's

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: GLShooterVery nice. A bullet weight might be helpful.

Greg

Duly Noted and added.
thumbup1.gif
75Gr AMax's

That's super. Anything over 3250 makes that bullet scream. Barrel life will be interesting.

Greg

Originally Posted By: venaticIf I just shoot predators with it I might get 7 or 8 years hopefully.

Yeah. I tell myself things like that. They're like potato chips. You get one that shoots like that you can't put it away.

Greg

Do you have any figures yet for drop/drift with that 75 Amax? They have a wicked high BC so I am sure you will be pulling some impressive numbers. I have kicked around the idea of a fast twist 22-250AI for those heavy for caliber high bc bullets, but I think this one kicks it up another level. Looks like you are getting about 200 fps faster than the 250AI within about a grain of powder. That rifle looks pretty sick too. Nicely done.

Did a quick check this evening to see how N550 would be effected by changing temps.
Loaded 6 rounds put three in a cooler with ice and water. Put the other 3 in the sun sitting on the bench where ambient temp was around 85.
16a2f5fd76e9e30060ccaf7642fa4288.jpg

A few cold ones ready to go.

90c6e074017ab6c7160cf6305fdbf8ec.jpg

The difference was shown in POI and on the chrono
f6d96b6fad8b32d6dcf09aa0f10e1138.jpg

I alternated between hot and cold first shot was hot second cold.
You cannot see 5&6 but they showed similar variation

6a122379f7f4803171ca728f29a2b480.jpg

Originally Posted By: JOKERWhat is shoulder angle on this bad boy ????
Some 22/243 AI around ----
This is interesting
Thx

Standard 30 degree shoulder.

That's a nice one. Looks like Derrick did a good job. Speaking of which I may swing by his shop later today. Another nice shooter you have there.

Originally Posted By: venaticThis gun came about as I was visiting with Derrick Ratliff of Horizon firearms about re-barreling a Remington Model Seven from 300 SUAM to a 6.5 Creedmoor for a good customer of mine who tasked me with getting it done.
During the process of talking about the spec's on that gun coyote hunting came up in the conversation and it seemed one of his specialties is building 22-243's. That led to the question ..well have you done that same neck-down on the Creedmoor? No was the answer but he cannot say that any longer.
thumbup.gif

I know the gun picture is not that good but I have not had good light each time I have taken it out to the range.

Its another Model Seven that was a 7mm/08 but now with a new barrel and stock and hopefully by Friday a new Huber trigger.
Horizon did flute the bolt and Cerakote to match the stock.Tried a few loads and today re-shot one of the best velocity wise to see if it would repeat the last session where I chronographed 10 rounds but with the Magnetospeed hooked to the barrel my group was just about MOA.

First shot three with no chrono. All these are 75gr AMax's.

Then shot the remaining 4 rounds with the Chrono on the barrel.POI did move up slightly but grouped fine.

Speeds

And for those of us that like larger sample sizes. This was previous chrono session
422a982a4b26c00e6c7dbe9bba1723e5.jpg

I like it. What about the dies who furnished them.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Venatic is using a hornady 6mm creedmoor bushing die and a Hornady seater. I am using a Redding 6.5 creedmoor bushing die and a Hornady seater.

Back