Tell me about this steel

crapshoot

IMG_20140920_134756_764_zpsd88e0195.jpg

Chinese steel.
Hardness varies from (usually 58-61). Most around 59 IMO.

It is not a bad steel for what it is. I feel it is similar to AUS-8. Again, JMO. Sharpens easily, doesn't hold the greatest edge, but not horrible.

Makes a good work knife or "beater" knife. The problem, is that quality varies. Makers like Kershaw and Spyderco probably do it up best.

I'd never pay a lot of money for a knife with this steel, but you can buy a pretty decent knife for a very reasonable price from some of the better makers......

This is the blade in question. For $19 shipped, I don't think I'll complain to much. It will be used mainly for gutting and skinning. I usually bring a sack full of knives when I go hunting anyway. When one gets the least bit dull I just toss it to the side and keep on working. I seem to have an affliction to knives. Good thing I'm cheap and can't afford expensive ones. Seems to get descent reviews.

Kershaw-Antelope-Hunting-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Orange-1028-1.jpg

2Muchun hit it right on the head...that steel is decent for what you pay for it, very similar the the Japan AUS8. Takes a wicked edge but not the best at holding that edge. Personally I don't think I would want it as a skinning knife unless you have a way to sharpen it as you go...once you start skinning it will dull pretty quick. If I was looking for a Budget Friendly game knife then check out the Buck Omni Hunter. Made in USA to boot !
http://www.knifeworks.com/buckomnihunter10ptcombowithguthookring.aspx#.VE7Hxhatyp0

Back