What's your favorite varmint rifle?

I know they/are both cheap rifles but I've shot s ton PD with my savage axis 223. I shoot 40 grain v max using benchmark powder. Really puts the hurt on them out to 300 yards. Other rifle I like is an old model 788 222. Not quite as quick but with 55 grain spsx using blc2 it is also pretty deadly on them.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoRuger VT in .204 or .223

My son has a VT that you can't pry away from him .....

Higgie...
Where is that prairie??

Right outside the Chattanooga city limits!
tt2.gif

No ... it's Pierre, South Dakota. I only WISH we had prairie rats here to shoot. That was a blast watching the little guy shoot. When he hit a prairie dog he laughed so hard I thought he was going to hurt himself. He was 13 at the time. He's a sophomore in college now. And he's still a much better shot than I am ......
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
2014-09-14011400.jpg

Savage MKII 22lr
VRL1 light
Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC
Champion kneeling bipod
Camo wrap

Cheap coon/fox/groundhog/squirrel gun.
Sold most of my guns back in 2008 after losing my job. Gotta start all over now. My next gun will be a .223 bolt action, then a new 12 gauge.

Last edited:
image-20.jpg

image-22.jpg

image-23.jpg

Mine would have to be my Marlin X7VH in 22-250 with a Boyds thumbhole, Warne rings and Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. The setup was real cheap and shoots well under an inch if I dont screw it up. I like my light 223 for coyote (and occasional smaller animal) due to the weight, but if I am going to sit somewhere and wait on a critter to come out the 250 gets the nod. I like how violent the 40 gr vmax is out of it on the ol whistle pig. Going to some load development with 90 gr hollow points for the 270 for next year so it might become the new favorite if it shoots them well.

Shelton

The Savage Twins
Top is an Axis .223 which now has a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50, rifle basix trigger
Bottom is Savage .17 with a 4.5x14 Mueller. Accugtrigger
Both have Boyd thumbhole stocks

Last edited:
Mine is the first Tikka I ever owned.

T3 varmint stainless 223 8 twist
it wears a Vortex viper 6.5-20x44

Last edited:
Back