wa bear down P.L. D.I.Y.(updated)

jasent

my normal bear spot was all dried up this year so I went to my other spot closer to home.
I knew the hawthorn berrys where in full bore so I started focusing on the THICK patches of hawthorns getting in close from down wind and listening to where the bears are feeding then moving up high and trying to get a peak at them.
it was at least teaching me paitance :chuckle: it also showed me where I could see where from which peak, I heard sevral bear working the large hawthorn jungle below me.
sounds on the far side seemed my best bet. but I decided a long they way to check from a different view first for some reason. instantly I spot a chocolate/cinimon bear about 150 yards feeding on the berrys, no cubs. she was quartering away.
I centered my cross hairs drawing a line threw here vitals in my mind, waited till she reached forward with her close paw and let it loose. THAWK! instantly she crashing threw the brush at full speed away then crashed.
I headed around the patch to the other side were it headed.I call my dad along then way to let him know to call in the troops. I hear it moving a little then thund. I hear it breathing deep and labored and moaning for a moment. it sounds like its just in side the hawthorns infront of me.
its almost dark now and I hear her grunt and the breathing stops.
I pull out my flashlight and pistol and head in after the bear. then I hear my brother and the neighbors coming up the trail. I yell to them were I am and after much cussing they got to were I was.
but none of them brought a flash light. so we head in to the hawthorn tunnels and chest high berrys and brush. after 25 min. of circling I found blood, good blood. almost steady stream and puddles along the way. 20 yards later I spot her.
holy cow! much larger than I had thought. we made quick work of her with my out door edge razor blaze. one blade was used and still sharp when finished. quartered and skinned it out and packed her all out. she had not lactated this year.
I was shooting a 105gr. bergger 3085fps out of my new 243 win. bullet hit right behind the shoulder and exited out of the neck. ruptured both lungs and split the jugular in half.

as she lies

old bear

im very proud to have taken my 2nd bear in 2 years. it took few season before I got the first.

Last edited:
Back