Give me your top 3

wildcats137

Give me your top 3 coyote cartridges in .223. I'm using a 22" 1 in 9 barrel.

P.S. This is my first post here and I have yet to go on my first coyote hunt. I've already done LOTS of research and will be doing a LOT more with these forums as my new medium. I apologize in advance if the storm of questions begin to irritate any of you
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 50 gr.
Remington Accu-tip 50 gr.
Black Hills Red(new) or Blue(reload) 55 gr soft point

Originally Posted By: wildcats137I've done some looking and really like the looks of the Hornady 53gr v-max super performance. Anyone have experience with this round?

My Rock Rivers ATH really likes them. The first coyote I shot fell down twice when I shot it then got up a third time and I never found it, no blood or anything. I'm going to keep using them this year but if another coyote does the same thing I will be looking for something else.

For me, in my older Stevens 200 in .223, the rifle has always liked (and the coyotes have often hated)......

#1) Black Hills (blue box) 55gr. PSPs
#2) Hornady 53 gr. V-Max
#3) Winchester 45 gr. HP

Off the bench (on bags), @ 100 yds, the point of impact between the three bullets has remained constant.
The BH rounds = 5 shots within just under a "nickel" size
The Hornady = 5 shots within just a whisker over a "nickel" size
The Winny HPs = 5 shots within a "quarter" size

On coyotes, when shots were at standing targets between 50-150 yds, and I placed the bullet correctly.........
Regardless of bullet, DRT.

If coyote was moving & the hit might not have been perfectly in the heart/lungs......
Black Hills = some DRT, some spinners...but none ran more than 50 yds.
Hornady = Almost all did some spinning, yet fell within 50-75 yds.
Winchester = all DRT

These have just been my observations, thru approx. 450 coyotes since 2004.
My results may not be what others have observed.

The correct answer is the one your gun shoots the best. You have to experiment to find the load that works for your weapon of choice.

That being said, mine is the Hornady Rem 53 gr V-MAX™ Superformance

+1 on the Hornady 53gr v-max, took me a while to find the right bullet, my gun loves the superformance. I do sometimes have an exit wound though. Just depends on how good my shots are.

Originally Posted By: Ky ColOriginally Posted By: wildcats137I've done some looking and really like the looks of the Hornady 53gr v-max super performance. Anyone have experience with this round?

My Rock Rivers ATH really likes them. The first coyote I shot fell down twice when I shot it then got up a third time and I never found it, no blood or anything. I'm going to keep using them this year but if another coyote does the same thing I will be looking for something else.

I had the same thing happen with the 53's. Well except for the no blood part. I had lots of blood after hitting the coyote three times but no coyote. I've since switched to the 60 grains and haven't looked back.

Back