Skunks

Ihateyotes

Well nothing has been moving at night that I have seen except the skunks lots of skunks. I guess it is time to thin them out a little bit if nothing else it will be good target practice. The only thing that has been stopping me is I don't want to spook any coyotes that are in the area I know of a pair for sure. Thoughts?

In our state skunks are considered furbearers and season doesn't open until Nov.12. I've actually shot a couple while on stand but they both showed up on the walk to pick up a dead coyote. If they would have shown up while calling or on a dry stand I probably would have given them a pass.

I wouldn't worry about the stink keeping coyotes away. I've used dead, stinking skunks for bait when k9 trapping. As for gunfire, give them a few days or weeks and call from a different spot.

I shoot every skunk I see on the spot. We have a year-around season on the stripped skunk. Like Flintrock, I guess if I were coyote calling a promising area I might let one pass. Otherwise a skunk sees no mercy from me. Not only do they stink up the place, they are also scavengers and no doubt will raid turkey nests and other ground nesting birds, not to mention the rabies possibility.

Talk about skunks, just last night my dog went round and round with one. Needless to say the dog doesn't have the best BO at the moment. To make matters worse, my wife got down wind of it as she was seeing what the dog was after and the scent got on her clothes. She wasn't even near it but still got the stink on her.

They must be on the move more now since I have recently seen two dead ones on the highway a short distance from my house, and then that one last night.

For their size they are very brave... They can't see very good and they have gained confidence using their smell for a defense... With this confidence they will stand their ground to oncoming traffic on roadways...

They have a lifespan of up to 3 years but with their mentality few make it past 1...

Cars standing their ground to oncoming skunks are much more rare...

Lol I know what you mean. many years ago in high school I worked for a man who threw a paper route in a van. I rolled papers from 11 at night til 6 or 7 in the morning riding in the van beside him. He hit a skunk one night about an hour in to the route and let me tell you fresh newspapers will suck that smell up like a sponge. I told him if he ever hit one again to pull over I was walking home I didn't care how far out in the middle of nowhere we were I was done. I worked for him for two more years and he made sure he went out of his way no miss them.

6mm06 look on the net there is a recipe for skunk odor killer. It is a quart of peroxide 2 or 3 Tablespoons of bicarb soda ans a teaspoon of dish soap. It works you just give the dog a bath with the mix and the smell is completely gone. My Lab broadsided one a couple years ago and you can put your face right in their fur after the bath and no odor. Just mix and use right away it wont keep after it is mixed.

LMAO! My dog Merle has killled WAYYYYYY more skunks than has decoyed yotes! LOL. I'm afraid he gonna think that is what we are doing! Funny til momma smells him and gets pissed at me! Women have no sense of humor, Its been bread out of them! lol

As for the recipe bear mentioned, it works really good. My gf use it on my dog all the time. I say he is a hunting dog, she says he a lap dog. Trouble brewing! lol

Last edited:
Back