.270 factory load for wolf, short range

Threewisemen

I'm looking for a factory wolf round you'd use for closer range (I live in MN so the average shot would probably be around 50-75 yards) in a 270 that will minimize pelt damage. I know each ammo behaves differently with every rifle, but I'd like to get some imput before I buy a bunch of ammo and head to the range. Even with the perfect light round the 270 will probably still be overkill for a wolf at that close of range since a lot of my buddies in Alaska seem to swear by 223 or 22/250's inside of 200yrds, but I'm not in a position to go buy more guns this year.

I started out looking at the energy of heavy 22/250 and .223 rounds since that seems to be the popular caliber for short range. The(Hornady 75gr) .223 was 1209ft/lbs energy@100yrds and (Hornady 60gr) 22/250 was 1360ft/lbs energy@100yrds. I then looked at a pretty typical deer round on the lighter side of the 270 which is

Fed 130gr nosler parition and that had a 2829ft/lbs energy at 100 yards with 2310ft/sec@100yrds velocity; more energy than the 223 and the 22/250 added together! So a typical deer round would do fine, but that's a lot more killing power than needed and if I never had a good angled shot present itself I might be looking at a messier kill than what I want.

Rem's Managed Recoil 115gr SP round looks like it might be a good option. It has 1485ft/lbs at 100 yards with 2412ft/sec@100yrds velocity. Seems like it lowers the energy to a mid 243 round nicely.

MagTech (S&B?) 100gr Nosler Partition round is something that I could find using a simple search on most of the gun ammo sites, but couldn't actually find any info on the round (on MagTech or S&B's website). The only ballistics info I could find is that it has a muzzle energy of 1788ft/lbs at 2838ft/sec muzzle velocity. (comparable to Rem's Managed Recoil round that is 1875ft/lbs and 2710ft/sec @muzzle.) I would assume that this is a discontinued round. It's listed as MagTech, but almost all the sites show the S&B bullet box in the picture. If anyone has any info or links that would be helpful.

Hornady's Custom Lite 120gr SST round another I looked at, but am unfamiliar with the SST. Some people compared it to a nosler ballistic tip (which I'd want to steer clear of if I only had a broadside shot). That has 1605ft/lbs@100 at 2454ft/sec@100yrds velocity. The last round I looked at is a bit of an odd-duck and probably would not use it, but I wanted to toss it in since it's one of the few factory loads for a 270 that comes in under it's standard 130gr round size.

Norma Kalahari 120gr HP has 2294ft/lbs energy at 100yrds. It's a HP which scares me enough to probably not use it, but it had some interesting ballistic properties so I wanted to list it and see what people thought. There's a youtube vid if you search Norma Kalahari and explains the ballistics of the round. Most of the other rounds have comparable velocities. However, this round has a much higher velocity than the other rounds listed at 2934ft/sec@100yards.

I already know shot placement is key to saving pelts, various ammo will perform better in different guns, there's better calibers that will provide less damage at

I'd rather be "overgunned" than "undergunned," so I would lean towards the 130 grain Nosler Partitions. It's just hard to go wrong with Partitions, assuming your guns shoots them accurately, which most seem to. Then you can just shoot what ammo you have left after your wolf at deer!

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI'd rather be "overgunned" than "undergunned," so I would lean towards the 130 grain Nosler Partitions. It's just hard to go wrong with Partitions, assuming your guns shoots them accurately, which most seem to. Then you can just shoot what ammo you have left after your wolf at deer!

Yep. Partitions should pass through a wolf with little damage. They are known to stay together and I honestly doubt if you'll get any appreciable expansion out of them at those distances.

Thanks for all the responses! I've never shot Barnes through my rifle, but from the feedback it seems to be a pretty popular bullet. I'll grab a few boxes before I head to the range next!

The front section of the Partition should expand, yet allow the base to carry through. They are pretty well known for awesome expansion in most any condition.

Well, first you'll have to actually draw a tag. Good luck now that the number of tags has been slashed by our wolf-denying DNR that can't estimate the population accurately, but then knows there's not enough of them so the quota needs to get cut.

The 270 will be a total crapshoot at any range. Pelt damage is going to be down to pure luck in terms of where you hit them and what the bullet hits internally. Total luck of the draw with everything listed. Even the low recoil load could totally blow up a wolf if you hit bone or with a shoulder shot.

A MN wolf is NOT the huge animal that the Canadian or Alaskan wolves are. 270 factor loads are designed for deer and larger. Do the math, everything on the gunshop shelf is more than you need.

Find the best shooting load and go with it. No use overthinking this, there's about a 10,000 to 1 chance against the issue of pelt damage ever being a factor.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grousethe number of tags has been slashed by our wolf-denying DNR

You gotta be joking... Did they cut the number of tags again? Wolves are so thick up here they're pushing all the deer into town. There are so many deer in town that last year for the first time ever they had a rifle season in our tiny town. They took 120 deer within city limits and the deer are still stacked thick in town. I haven't seen anything on the number of tags yet, where did you see your info? thx

ps: If I don't get drawn again this year I've almost already made up my mind that I'm going to head out west for a week and a half and try my luck "drawing" a tag out there.
thumbup.gif

Edit: Talked to a friend at the gun shop at noon, they actually increased the tags from 230 to 250 this year. Still not as many as we need though.

Last edited:
Back