STAY DOWN!!!

Infidel 762

Staff member
I can only speak for myself when I say; hunting is not hunting without the intent to kill… that it is right after the shot that I feel the purest connection with my predatory nature…

When I feel that connection, I notice little things like this…

Just before the flower is when coyote took me to the sand hill overlooking the river bottom… the crosswind carried my scent over my right shoulder, out across an open flat where the river used to flow… I had no expectations of calling anything across the open flat… I called for 30 minutes than sat in silence for another 10… I snuck down the hill to get my call and on my way back up to my gear I see a coyote standing on the other side of the flat that I had my back to… I dropped down into the stickers and grabbed my pack as a rest... I turned my scope up to 14 power and aligned the horizontal cross hairs with the top of her back… it was right at or around 340 yards..

I don’t remember hearing the thump, only seeing her spinning and jumping… I kept firing… she would go down in the grass, then get up and start biting at her back… then I would shoot… so on and so forth, till she stayed down… I watched the area for a few minutes making sure she was in fact, staying down… then, as I made my way across the flat I caught a glimpse of her stager and then go back down… when she did that I circled my approach to stay downwind of her and to get between her and the wood line… if I was going to jump her, I wanted to push her across the open flat.. I had made a half circle to the other side of where I last saw her… the closer I got to where she was, the slower I moved… I kicked her up close and without knowing her condition I fired two shots fast… finally she stayed down…

This is the longest shot I have ever made on a coyote with my AR… I thought all the shots I fired from my first positions where misses, aside from the first… when I got to her I saw that my rounds had just shredded her front legs and even completely removed her front left paw… coyote is tough…

Thirstily walking back to my truck, under a blanket of stars, I could hear coyote, both up and down the river… laughing at me... up and down. ...laughing….

Despite your waxing poetically (
grin.gif
), I enjoyed your tale.

Truth be told, I too find myself stopping to smell the proverbial roses during a hunt. I'm particluarly prone to stop suddenly just to watch a developing sunset or sunrise. A successful stand or other hunting endeavor makes those moments so much sweeter. So my fellow hunter, I know of what you speak. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Thanks for sharing.

My fondest memories of hunting were sitting in the duck blind with my very close friend and watching the sun rise ... and thinking about all of the wonderful and marvelous things that God created and we foolishly take for granted on a daily basis.

Sadly, that close friend passed away far too early in life. I still miss him and the mornings we spent together in the duck blind not talking but looking and listening. No words were necessary. I still go down on my dock EVERY morning with a cup of coffee ... look out at the river ... and think about things. And sometimes I actually shed a tear for my buddy.

So yeah. I do notice things. But not as much as I should.

Great story of a great hunt. At first I didn't understand the first part but after rereading it I understand completely. I too take joy in little things when I'm on a hunt. I wonder if our senses are just at their peak at that point and we tend to notice many things we normally pass over. I've often said the time I spend in the field is my reward, a successful hunt is a bonus. Or maybe that is just rubbish because I was never that successful before... who knows.

The little yellow flowers and the bloody hand just made the story. I particularly liked the cow turds. Little things like that go unnoticed when we try to share our experiences. I let my eyes follow the circular pattern around, and around, and around,..
Blown off paws, a shot in the a$$,..biting of the back,... this story has it all.

Great story. All the small things make the hunt the kill is the icing on the cake. The freedom sights sounds smells and is what it's about. The solitude (I hunt alone) and break from the monotony of every day life is what it's all about. Surprised the Swiss cheese female didn't bleed out sooner

Last edited:
I enjoy hearing ya'lls experiences at sun rises and sets, coffee by the river and noticing a lot of the simple things we walk past unknowingly... I really like the solitude (I mostly hunt alone too).. Even noticing the blurry cow turd... Thank you all for sharing it with me...

Originally Posted By: tugboaterNot sure what you were saying at the beginning there but..

Despite his liberal views, Author and Psychotherapist Thom Hartmann’s words stimulate my mind;

“In a very real sense, we’re all made out of sunlight. Sunlight radiating heat, visible light, and ultraviolet light is the source of virtually all life on Earth.

Everything you see alive around you is there because a plant somewhere was able to capture sunlight and store it. All animals live from these plants, whether directly (as with herbivores) or indirectly (as with carnivores, which eat the herbivores). This is true of mammals, insects, birds, amphibians, reptiles, bacteria...everything living. Every life form on the surface of this planet is here because a plant was able to gather sunlight and store it, and something else was able to eat that plant and take that sunlight-energy in to power its body.

In this way, the abundance or lack of abundance of our human food supply was, until the past hundred years, largely determined by how much sunlight hit the ground. And for all non-human life forms on the planet, this is still the case…”

In a world of Wal-Mart Supercenters where our food comes wrapped in sterile plastic containers, masses of people lose clarity of “purpose”… true “meaning” becomes increasingly rare as our ancestral knowledge running back 10,000 years loses it's necessity in our modern world… as hunters we hold on to this timeless tradition… it gives us balance…

Originally Posted By: HidalgoThanks for sharing.

My fondest memories of hunting were sitting in the duck blind with my very close friend and watching the sun rise ... and thinking about all of the wonderful and marvelous things that God created and we foolishly take for granted on a daily basis.

Sadly, that close friend passed away far too early in life. I still miss him and the mornings we spent together in the duck blind not talking but looking and listening. No words were necessary. I still go down on my dock EVERY morning with a cup of coffee ... look out at the river ... and think about things. And sometimes I actually shed a tear for my buddy.

So yeah. I do notice things. But not as much as I should.

I am sure your friend would want you to continue spending wordless sunrises in that duck blind... For his sake you should plan a hunt ASAP.... I feel your emotions through your words... I'm sure any other hunter who reads this would understand the same feelings without spoken words...

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt ! Very enjoyable .
Kind of makes me feel sorry for all the people that won't retire as soon as they could, they really miss out on life's experience's like this.

Back