Dot Reticle for Hunting....?

I for one will never go back to just crosshairs---crosshair Ill Dot --for me is the only way to go--most all my rifles now have dot reticle---my favorite is Vortex v-brite--but most scope makers now have some sort of Ill dot reticle--to me the dot is much faster to put on target than crosshair's--And is great for running shots---1moa dot works great for me---svb---p.s. go Vortex

Last edited:
Whatever works for YOU is fine. I hunt with conventional crosshairs, mil-dots, and one of my hunting rifles has a BDC reticle. Lots of folks despise the BDC because it is "cluttered", but after using it in the field for a couple of years I don't give it a second thought.

I love dot reticules. For hunting where you may get fast shots, a dot is much quicker in my opinion. My eye just seems to pick up a dot faster than a crosshair.

I have an illuminated dot on my 6x45 AR and used it in New Mexico while coyote hunting. The first coyote I took was with the dot illuminated. The others were without the illumination since I learned I really didn't need it illuminated. I could see just fine.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotunless it was a lit dot i wouldnt want it for hunting. very easy to loose a black dot on a animal in dim light.
Kinda my experience. Had post once I liked it. Now have varmint and boone and crocket

thanks Guys for your thoughts... I knew someone had experience with them. I have always liked the coyote special, and would have one now, but I just want more power... but that reticle is great in my opinion. That looks like a good scope Venatic... it should be a real winner.

A friend got me thinking about the plain target dot... but I'm concerned about losing it in low light... but if it had Illumination... now that would be the ticket... simply turn it on when needed. Hmmmm.... it's got me thinking now. But then again... I need a scope that will go out to 20 power.... and further if possible. I'm a sucker for high power scopes.
I put a bushnell 4200 8-32x44 on my 22-243 AI to work up a load for long range, and now I'm a real BIG sucker for high power scopes, because I just love being able to zoom in on those long range targets...that was what brought up the target dot idea.

I have a night force 8x32x56 scope with a target reticle it has a fine dot that lights up and it is great for long range shooting I think this reticle is discontinued

Originally Posted By: dan brothersthanks Guys for your thoughts... I knew someone had experience with them. I have always liked the coyote special, and would have one now, but I just want more power... but that reticle is great in my opinion. That looks like a good scope Venatic... it should be a real winner.

A friend got me thinking about the plain target dot... but I'm concerned about losing it in low light... but if it had Illumination... now that would be the ticket... simply turn it on when needed. Hmmmm.... it's got me thinking now. But then again... I need a scope that will go out to 20 power.... and further if possible. I'm a sucker for high power scopes.
I put a bushnell 4200 8-32x44 on my 22-243 AI to work up a load for long range, and now I'm a real BIG sucker for high power scopes, because I just love being able to zoom in on those long range targets...that was what brought up the target dot idea.
Hey Dan Check out Mueller, IIRC they have a high powered scope with a 1/8 dot

Dan, that's the only thing Ive used on my .223 for eons and now on my 6x45.
Its a 37 yr old BSA platinum target scope w a 1/8" dot.
It seems the dot always found the spot to lay a round into and has been a great help in leading on a running shot as I can determine the lead darn faster than a fine crosshair.
Ive used this night calling 30x or more w/a laser designator ND3x50 light mounted to it and never lost the dot in the dark and months before that I was shooting coyotes in bright full moon nights or ground covered snow w/full moons and could always make the dot out.
heck if it was illuminated that would even be better in the dusk/dawn times like my German post on my 7-08.

I have used a fine cross-hair, dot reticle on my coyote gun since 1969. Best reticle I have ever used. Yes, is not good in early or late light conditions. The amount of shots it has cost me because of that is miniscule. Your eye is naturally drawn to the dot when you bring your scope up. Great for running coyotes.

I have a Nikon with a target dot. And at certain ranges with the right sized animal it works great. However I have used the same scope "4-16" power on Ground Squirrels, and the dot is too large for long range on those little critters. For coyote sized game, I love it. Good luck.

I am in the process of converting all of my scoped hunting rifles over to Leupold vxr with the firedot 4. It's my belief that the three heavy sections help to bracket the animal nicely. The firedot is awesome in low light. I like the option of cross hair or dot to fit the situation.

Back