Pretty good morning

Rimrock1

I had time for a few stands Thursday afternoon. On my third stand the Foxpro was playing the wounded rabbit blues and I had a feather fluttering in the wind. A coyote on the skyline at about 200 yards. Stood there for a then started down and acted like it wanted to circle downwind. Stopped broadside at about 125. Chip shot. Crosshairs rock steady on the sticks. Bang. Coyote runs off. I replayed that shot over and over. The sight picture looked perfect. Did the coyote flinch at the shot? Did I hear a solid thump?

Well, I parked my gear and spent a while looking that hill over and never found a drop of blood.

Friday morning, just light enough to shoot. I started the Foxpro with a lone howl. One short howl and it went dead. The readout showed "low Battery." I switched to a Braz hand call and in about five minutes a coyote showed in a draw across the creek. 100 yards. Same deal. Chip shot. Coyote runs and goes out of sight. I see one run out of the end of the draw a couple of hundred yards away. I am bummed but have to go look so I found a place to cross the creek. I found one drop of blood on a small rack about 25 yards from the shot. Followed the feeder draw about 75 yards and found a nice, well furred male.

This is the draw.

The coyote:

I put new batteries in the Foxpro and started to my next stand. Across the creek and a tangle of berry vines I see a coyote mousing. The only way to get a shot was to stand on my tippy toes and shoo offhand. I backed off set up the Foxpro and played kitten distress. As luck would have it, The coyote moved and showed in an are I could shoot. 75 Yards. Chip shot. Bang flop. This area of the creek was too deep and the vines too thick. I gave up on getting a picture. The coyote is laying just short of the big rock in the center of the picture.

Back