12:1 ain't too bad

Arizona Bushman

How is the fur season going for everybody else? Arizona has seen an unprecedented amount of rainfall this year and the grey foxes have been hungry right after the rain!!!

I have been out six times just after a storm and have called in 12 fox, three coyotes and today I finally put "the cat in the bag" with an 18 pound female. She has pretty nice fur for a September cat to boot!

Hopefully this year the fur auction will pan out a little bit better than last and the Bushman can get a few more kitties on the table.

You know what they say; The first cat of the season is the hardest.....Good Luck to ya'll!

Congrats!!!
In all the years I've hunted, I've only managed to get one bobcat (only called about a dozen), a 22# female back in Jan '07.
I wish mine had looked as nice as yours. Hahaha
Mine barely had any spots at all.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762 You guys have an early cat season...

Yes, I think part of that is the fact that we have a lot more bobcats than one would expect. They are sneaky little critters and many people have never seen them. Therefor; most believe that they don't exist. I have been in a few "heated" conversations with concerned individuals who believe that the bobcat is endangered.

Anyways; this one was taken right after some rain and came running in like a coyote would in less than three minutes from starting the call sequence.

Congratulations on the first bobcat of the season!
Originally Posted By: BrownieOur season goes from Sept1 through March IIRC
The furbearer season in AZ starts August 1st. The warmer climate here allows critters to get a head start on denning compared to colder regions. Bobcats are nuisance wildlife in urban areas of southern AZ and the last thing we need is more of them.

good looking cat and great numbers! Out cat season got pushed back to dec 1 in NV... So some additional waiting from an impatient me...

Originally Posted By: Fursniper
Originally Posted By: BrownieOur season goes from Sept1 through March IIRC
Bobcats are nuisance wildlife in urban areas of southern AZ and the last thing we need is more of them.

That is amazing they are adapting to urban areas...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That is amazing they are adapting to urban areas...
Bobcats have it better in urban areas than they do in the wild in southern AZ. The urban areas have bird feeders, swimming pools, overgrown landscaping for denning, and pets to eat. Hopefully, the rainstorms will continue to make southern AZ even more target rich and Bushman can get a ton of bobcats!!
thumbup.gif

By the way, this nuisance bobcat picture was taken about 10 miles from where the motel is reserved for the 2015 PM Hunt and Convention.

Originally Posted By: Fursniper Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That is amazing they are adapting to urban areas...
Bobcats have it better in urban areas than they do in the wild in southern AZ. The urban areas have bird feeders, swimming pools, overgrown landscaping for denning, and pets to eat. Hopefully, the rainstorms will continue to make southern AZ even more target rich and Bushman can get a ton of bobcats!!
thumbup.gif

By the way, this nuisance bobcat picture was taken about 10 miles from where the motel is reserved for the 2015 PM Hunt and Convention.

Aside from losing pets... Some may not see this as a nuisance...

If they'd just eat their small cousins (housecats) and roadrunners, and stay away from the quail, I wouldn't have much trouble with them.
grin.gif

Back