tricks to calling in fox

bemart02

I was just curious if there are any techniques to calling in a fox. I have been calling in coyotes with limited success for the past few years but never a fox while on a stand. Was just wondering if there is a certain call or is it just about being in an area that they are actually in....

Bemart02
Red fox like high pitch rabbit distress.
But before you can kill any you must locate them. Like any hunting you have to be were they are.

Do you see fox scat in the area you hunt? Grey foxes have pretty small home territories, so if you see scat you know there's an extremely high chance that a fox or two is within hearing distance.

I have a tip for you; They like higher pitched calls, start quietly and then stop. Count to 30 or so and then bump up the volume/call louder until a fox appears.

It's all about location, location, location! If there is so much brush and big rocks that you can't walk through, you are in the right spot. Don't forget; Shotgun is king!

I took five foxes this weekend and 16 total since our season started a few weeks ago using the same tactic over and over again.

I have the best luck at night, around thick cover big bunches of trees surrounded by pasture I use lots of coaxers work well cottonbunny works well, fieldmouse distress I have killed around 15 foxes with. And after or during every fox stand I will use grey fox distress works well on greys and on coyotes as a plus.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanI have a tip for you; They like higher pitched calls, start quietly and then stop. Count to 30 or so and then bump up the volume/call louder until a fox appears.

It's all about location, location, location! If there is so much brush and big rocks that you can't walk through, you are in the right spot. Don't forget; Shotgun is king!

I took five foxes this weekend and 16 total since our season started a few weeks ago using the same tactic over and over again.

Bushman hit this right on the head. He has learned how to see like a fox, which is why he is so successful. It is probably one of the harder things to learn and something that is very hard to teach. But Bushman hit it right on the head, if you don't want to be there, the foxes do. Get in there!

Red fox are more open/edge oriented than the Grey's. Try to find areas in between the coyote territories. Setting up slightly downwind of cattail ponds in hay or wheat fields in the afternoons should increase your chances. With calling predators they must never know you are there.

Back