American Ruger Rifle Predator model in .243 review

Recon Ops

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to add a review of new product on the market. The Ruger American Rifle Predator version. This review is on the .243.

I want to share my experience at the range first and then give a few comments on the rifle itself.

Here is a recap at the range. I mounted a new Simmons Predator Quest 4.5-18x scope using Weaver tactical rings. I mounted and bore sighted the scope/rifle myself. I bore sighted it in at 50 yards. I did not fire a shot at the 50 yard target, but chose instead to trust the bore sight job and fire at the 100 yard range instead, wondering how it would perform. Here is the picture from the first 3 bullets fired at 100 yards.

I was ecstatic about the bore sighting results. That was a very small group with no adjustment in the windage or elevation on the turrets post bore sighting.

So, I moved to the 200 yard range next. After some fine tuning, here was my best group at 200 yards. It was sunny with a slight breeze, 75 degrees, 4600 feet elevation.

Folks, if I don't say so myself, those are some very very fine results. That is a 1 inch group at 200 yards with a $359 rifle and $115 scope. I was extremely impressed. Impressed enough to where I thought I should come and post my review for others to see. As you can also see, I was using the Primos Group Therapy bench rest that I also just purchased.

I used a total of 18 bullets from start to finish. It would have been several less, but I found the windage turret very confusion on the scope. There are arrows on both sides of the left and right words on the turret so it's difficult to know which direction to dial the turret. Funny enough, on my scope, a turn on the windage turret to the left (counter clockwise) actually moved my groups to the right.

I really liked the rifle. I had another Ruger American in 22-250 but I found that the chambering of the bullet sometimes caused blunting/scuffing of the polymer or lead tip of the bullet as it was being chambered. My brother also has this problem with his Ruger American in 22-250.

The 4 round clip is easy and smooth to load and the bolt cycles very well and clean.

The muzzle end of the gun is actually threaded to accommodate a silencer, muzzle break or other attachment. The barrel is slightly thicker than the regular Ruger American Rifle. All in all I am extremely impressed and glad about the purchase of the rifle and just as impressed with the Simmons Scope despite what several negative comments I've heard regarding the Simmons brand.

Thanks for the report. My RAR 308 and my brother's as well are tack drivers, if anything the Predator will be that much and maybe a little more with a stiffer tube. I may have to get the 6.5CR!!

Nice range report!

Ruger must be breaking those barrels in at the factory ... because everyone knows you have to shoot / clean / shoot / clean for a week in order to make them shoot like that.
lol.gif
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the range report. I have had a Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor on back order for a while now hoping it becomes available soon.

I don't know exactly what they do at the factory. This was really the first time I had fired the gun straight out of the box. And I do not possess any special firearms skills. I'm an average guy on a budget.

@Catfish. These were cheap Winchester Varmint X 58 grain polymer tipped bullets. $21.99 at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Another surprising detail I failed to mention.

Originally Posted By: Recon Ops@Catfish. These were cheap Winchester Varmint X 58 grain polymer tipped bullets. $21.99 at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Another surprising detail I failed to mention.

I have been shooting the Winchester Varmint X pretty much exclusively in my 22-250 and .223 rifles, they are pretty nice shooting rounds. I can even get my Mini 14 to shoot them half way decent. I just picked up a RAR in .223 for my daughter, I hope it shoots as well as your .243. I really think that Ruger has a winner with this rifle.

Last edited:
Since you have calipers would you measure the barrel diameter at the forearm & muzzle? Id like to know how heavy of a barrel these come with

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ghilliedupSince you have calipers would you measure the barrel diameter at the forearm & muzzle? Id like to know how heavy of a barrel these come with

Thanks!

The barrel measures 1.15 inches diameter at the receiver, and tapers to .664 inch, just behind the threaded portion at the muzzle.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: ghilliedupSince you have calipers would you measure the barrel diameter at the forearm & muzzle? Id like to know how heavy of a barrel these come with

Thanks!

The barrel measures 1.15 inches diameter at the receiver, and tapers to .664 inch, just behind the threaded portion at the muzzle.

Thank you very much! This is interesting though because I thought a standard sporter barrel was around .625 inch?? I was expecting something around .7-.725 or so....I guess its just a slightly heavier barrel perhaps. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it grouping like that at 200 yards with factory ammo!

Originally Posted By: ghilliedup This is interesting though because I thought a standard sporter barrel was around .625 inch?? I was expecting something around .7-.725 or so....I guess its just a slightly heavier barrel perhaps. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it grouping like that at 200 yards with factory ammo!

It's an entirely different taper from a standard sporter. Look at some good pics and you'll see what I mean ....

EDIT ... Maybe this will help:

Last edited:
Back