loading with unknown data! picture update page 2

Originally Posted By: FurhunterSee those 3 shots grouped together right under the 3U line?

Whatever those were.. I'd be inclined to load up a few 5 shot strings of those and shoot them again.

Fur, those are on the low end, the lower group is 37 grains to low 38 grains of powder and running 2500 fps. Theres a target below the one I shot that lines up perfectly. But if you look in the center, there's one round nearly in the middle, that was the last of the string at 2741 fps. Right below that is an 8 shot group. Where 3 are completely unaccounted for... those are closer to the fps this gun is capable of, everything that I ran through with 20 rounds each with a different charge shot well, im overly happy with the 6.5s performance today. Ill take a better picture in a minute

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterYea, I can't see those other shots on this pic.

1382.jpg

There is a hole in the lower right quadrant of the outside diamond, between the 1U and 2U lines, that is bigger than most of the single bullet holes and looks like it could be a series of shots...If you can identify the load that produced those, I'd be inclined to stick with that one....You will be hard pressed to obtain a tighter group in a load test...

Originally Posted By: varminter185Originally Posted By: FurhunterYea, I can't see those other shots on this pic.

1382.jpg

That's better!

See, here's the problem with a ladder test. You've got a bunch of holes there and can't tell what's good and what isn't. You've got a very rough idea but that's it. If you started out with 3 shot groups loaded in .5 grain increments you would have it narrowed down pretty close by now or know that this bullet and powder combo ain't workin.

What's the rifle btw?

Last edited:
Yeah, I didnt expect them to stay together for the entire test. The real point of this test though was not necessarily to find a node, but to set min max powder parameters, so I didnt even think to plot the shots. However, I plan to do another ladder style test in the way you described. With 3 shot groups to find nodes and I'll be using seperate targets for each. Following that I'll be doing jump tests to fine tune.

Im wondering if I should measure from the ogive because of differences and inconsistent tips.

The rifle is a savage 6.5 creedmoor model 11 long range hunter. With a 1:8 rh 26" barrel with a muzzle break. I can watch impacts at 300 on the steel plates

You could have got the parameters with test groups. You got a good place to start at least. You know to start midrange and work up from there.

You can measure these bullets 10 ways to Sunday but the seaters all work the same. Get it as close as you can and go from there.

True! It seemed more efficient to do it this way, instead of 60 3 shot strings, I only used 20 rounds... going to take the data I got today and make a few strings.

Originally Posted By: varminter185True! It seemed more efficient to do it this way, instead of 60 3 shot strings, I only used 20 rounds... going to take the data I got today and make a few strings.

If I were looking at a low of 37 and a high of 41.
I would have loaded.

3@ 38
3@ 38.5
3@ 39
3@ 39.5
3@ 40
I might do the 40.5 but tend to steer away from max or near max loads. If the above groups and the chrony were both telling me to lean on it a bit more than I would.

That's 15 rounds and it would give me a real good idea as to what to do next with some 5 shot strings.

The only thing is ive done that before and ended up with high pressure with a relatively light load, so I changed my process to be safer. I have an idea based on the chronograph results on what to load for the 3 shot tests. I can go a little higher than 41.3 grains as the case wasnt showing signs that I could see... I rechecked them and the B on the br2 primer is still visible. I could possibly go as high as 42 grains... hoping I can find a node lower than that, testing at 60 degrees worries me for higher temp shooting.

Looks like 41.0 - 41.3 grains is going to be the ticket, both strings shot exactly the same 1/2 moa group. Going to tune seating depth now. Anyone know if new brass will shoot differently than once fired? All run through a full length sizer to remove case mouth deformation? Shooting was done at 80 degrees. So 20 degree swing up from pressure testing is no problem.

Back