Best scope under $500

You cannot beat the system when it comes to optics. There's a lot of trediness and label-loving with optics, and very few people actually put anything to the objective test of using resolution test charts, which are the REAL measure of optical quality.

I think there are some sleepers out there that tend to outperform the price range in real terms. They are:

1. Bushnell's Elite Series, especially the old stock models made in Japan. It's not hard to guess who made these, although I've never seen it confirmed by an authroitative source.

Label lovers have trouble admitting anything Bushnell could ever be any good, but these newbies tend not to know the history and parentage of Bushnell. The Elite series is completely different from the low-end Bushnells.

2. Minox (except for the new low-end range) uses Schott glass, which obviously is a tremendous asset. Schott also makes glass for Zeiss and for many industrial optics products. Minox is very high quality for the price.

There's nothing wrong with the Leupold VX series. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Grouse

Grouse..
I don't have an official resolution test charts (they are expensive, several hunert bucks) so the best I can do is my targets at 100 yards. If a scope cant give me a clear image of my printed targets at that range its of little to no use to me.

Its getting to be that time of year when thigs slow down for me work wise so time isn't such an issue and I do have the scope availability to do "unofficial" tests of the sort. I could bring home and play with just about any common scope you could find in a store today without it costing me anything. I would have to build up some sort of a jig to hold the scope and a camera on some sort of a adjustable platform. Taking pictures thru a scope can be a pita without something like that. I would suppose any chart, even a optometrist eye chart at 50 yards could give real good clues to clarity of a particular scope.

I agree BTW on the Bushnell elite, nice glass for the money.

I can't say about any other Vortex, just the one I have. It's better optically than the Leupolds I own and it's clarity doesn't suffer on max power. I would buy this scope again, especially at the demo/damaged box price.

The Bushnell Elites have a good rep for clarity, but a friend of mine years back had problems with one & Bushnell was such a pit of [beeep] trying to get it fixed -he never did get them to fix it- that he swore he'd never buy anything else from them & that experience has made me reluctant to take a chance on them.

He was very pleased with the scope until it developed a problem, it's the customer service that was unacceptable.

Originally Posted By: obaroNo real experience with the Leupolds, but I will take my 250$ Weaver glass over my 700$ Vortex glass. Not at all impressed with the glass in the Vortex when I compare it to lesser priced Weaver stuff. As far as my experience goes I will take Weaver every time for under 500$. They may not have the flashiest features, but the glass is the best for the money to my eyes, and they track very reliably.

I have and have had 7 Weaver scopes from 2-7 to 4-16. All great clarity and function. Two drawbacks on mine were lack of coating to deflect sunlight glare, and worries over warranty repairs as the company has changed hands so many times. If it werent for that I would be buying more.

I firmly believe the Leupold Vari-X series had better clarity than the VX series. Have not had the VX 6 but am curious.
My Zeiss has very good clarity but the black as the edges dont seem as crisp as the Leupold. Leupold warranty and resale value+++
Love Leica clarity and crisp edges.
Would like to try a Swarovski and Schmidt Bender

Originally Posted By: FurhunterGrouse..
I don't have an official resolution test charts (they are expensive, several hunert bucks) so the best I can do is my targets at 100 yards. If a scope cant give me a clear image of my printed targets at that range its of little to no use to me.

Even resolution charts printed on a good laser printer are enough, when used at 100, 200, and 400 yards, to reveal obvious differences that would not be evident by just randomly looking through scopes and delivering subjective opinions. Which is what the vast majority of people do. The whole point of the resolution charts is that you can see the point where the optics break down and compare this in a quantifiable way.

And before someone chimes in with the scientific BS about test conditions not being controlled, etc, obviously that is not the point here. Two scopes, compared side by side, will be compared in the same conditions and therefore the comparison is valid given the conditions. As any fool can see, the point is to have a quantifiable result that gives a reasonable indication. Scientific precision is not the point.

Also, we are always assuming the person knew how and took the time to set up the scope properly. Which most do not.

I would personally like to put 30 MM scopes and 1 inch scopes from the same maker/model to the test to see if this has an impact on resolution potential. I've been told and have read that it does not, but it's still to me an interesting variable and I'm always wary of the answer that begins, "In theory..."

Grouse

Amazing those who try act like they have a CLUE about optics. The more they type, the more painfully apparent that they are completely oblivious.

When you do actually have a CLUE, you will grin as I am now, when you read such nonsense........

Meoptas have pretty nice glass. Bit of tunnel vision going on though, as with the Zeiss Conquests. Haven't actually put one through the ringer or checked repeatability.

That said, being a full quarter pound heavier than a 3.5-10x40 VX3, I probably never will........

This thread just keeps on going, anyone noticed if the OP has been back at all?

I stand by my original reply, using the OP's parameters you need to look no further than these 3 with or without CDS...

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh

If I'm buying one using your criteria, I'd look at these Leupolds:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-3-5-10x40mm-cds/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-3-9x40mm-cds-30mm/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x40mm-cds/

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThat said, being a full quarter pound heavier than a 3.5-10x40 VX3, I probably never will........

And that right there's why many of my rifles, particularly those I carry more than a few yards to shoot prairie dogs, wear Leupold riflescopes. Most of their hunting scopes are less than a pound, which I like!

I guess it is kind of a subjective thing, but heavy scopes SUCK IMO. They can throw off the whole feel/balance of a rifle, especially a lightweight. They also are subject to more recoil, and carrying more weight for no reason makes no sense to this hunter......

How about the Nikon pro staff 5....I bought one that is 3.5 To 14.I really like it so far. Has the bdc. sighted in my 22-250 with it and am now ready to try it out on some coyotes

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI can't say about any other Vortex, just the one I have. It's better optically than the Leupolds I own and it's clarity doesn't suffer on max power. I would buy this scope again, especially at the demo/damaged box price.

Your lucky... I've had 4 vortex scopes & got rid of all them except a Gen II Razor. Although I liked several features, the other optics SUCKED at max power. Like I said, maybe you got a good one but for most guys, I think... Rice cakes ain't bad till you have your first steak.

Originally Posted By: obaroNo real experience with the Leupolds, but I will take my 250$ Weaver glass over my 700$ Vortex glass. Not at all impressed with the glass in the Vortex when I compare it to lesser priced Weaver stuff. As far as my experience goes I will take Weaver every time for under 500$. They may not have the flashiest features, but the glass is the best for the money to my eyes, and they track very reliably.

Own several of the Weaver Super Slam scopes. They are made by the Light Optical Works in Japan, aka LOW. LOW makes nice scopes, such as the higher end Bushnell and Sightrons for example. Agree with above in the Weaver having some nice glass and tracking well. I've been a member of a private shooting range for a number of years now and have sat down behind some darn nice/expensive scopes belonging to gents with pockets a lot deeper than me. After looking thru such scopes and then returning to one of my Weaver scoped rifles, I have a problem thinking the others guys scope was that much better than my Weaver.

Good point about Weaver changing ownership over the years. But, ATK bought Weaver back again a few years ago and discontinued the other brands (Intensity/Nitrex) of scopes it owned. Of course, with ATK acquiring Bushnell not that long ago, who knows what the future holds for Weaver.

LOL, personally I'm tempted to suggest buying one of Simmons Pro-Hunter scopes.....one of the models discontinued when Bushnell bought Simmons from Meade. Its the Pro-Hunter 4-12x40mm SF for $70 at Natchez Shooters Supply. Chuckle, own around 4 of these Pro-Hunter scopes (higher powered ones) and they've been quite decent for me and my benchrest shooting for going on 5 years now.....rifles from a 22LR to a 30-06.

Last edited:
Back