New to this

I'm new to calling coyotes and everything I know about it I've read on the internet. I've always just gone out on my own and tried calling but with no success. I can locate them and get them to respond back to the howler but can never get a visual on one. Then I won't even be able to get any responses out of them.
Don't get me wrong.. I've been out a few times and always get skunked but I still really enjoy myself sitting there constantly on the edge in the hopes that one will come running in.
I'm just not very sure about my calling skills

Originally Posted By: CoyoteToyota I'm new to calling coyotes. I can locate them and get them to respond back to the howler but can never get a visual on one.

what do you think you are saying to those coyotes when you howl at them?

Originally Posted By: CoyoteToyotaI don't know. Haha I'm probably telling them I'm a noob human who doesn't know how to call
Hahaha

i was afraid you were going to say that.

CoyoteToyota, if you have located coyotes, you are half-way there. Your howls are getting a response, and that is good, what you are trying to do from there on is to tell those coyotes a story.

They believe there is a coyote in the area, why is he here? Is he wanting to fight? Is he crowing over a fresh caught meal? Is he wooing a purty little gal? All that depends on the time of year, your subsequent calling and the mood of the 'yote being called to.

Hand calls and electric calls matter less than what you are saying to your quarry. What he usually wants to hear most is that there is an easy meal nearby. After establishing that there are coyotes around by howling, switch to distress calls, let them wonder if your howls and the distress are connected. Distress is the number one reason they come to a call. Either to defend it (less common), or to steal it (more common).

You are in an area with coyotes, that is a good start!

Back