NHTSA's Requirement: 'Black Box' Recorders in All U.S. Vehicles

hm1996

Staff member

What's next, ya recon?

Quote:
NHTSA's Requirement: 'Black Box' Recorders in All U.S. Vehicles

We've all heard of 'black box' recorders. They're the indestructible boxes used in airplanes that record a wealth of electronic and audio data to help identify what occurs just prior to a crash.

The U.S. government wants every vehicle made in America to include them as standard equipment.

Event Data Recorders (EDRs), also known as "black boxes" or "sensing and diagnostic modules," capture information, such as the speed of a vehicle and the use of a safety belt, in the event of a collision to help understand how the vehicle’s systems performed. In 2012 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in December 2012 proposed a rule requiring automakers to install EDRs in all light passenger vehicles. It quietly went into effect Sept. 1, 2014. Most car manufacturers currently install these devices in new vehicles.

To date, only 14 states--Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington--have enacted statutes relating to event data recorders and your right to privacy. Among other provisions, these states provide that data collected from a motor vehicle event data recorder may only be downloaded with the consent of the vehicle owner, with certain exceptions.

Does this worry you? Could the information be used against you?

The trouble is that we've got to trust our government to do the right thing and use the information the boxes yield exclusively for the purpose of identifying how a crash occurred.

But to consumer advocates, the data is only the latest example of governments and companies having too much access to private information. Once gathered, they say, the data can be used against car owners, to find fault in accidents or in criminal investigations.

The data can also be used for surveillance; to identify one's whereabouts and travel patterns.

“These cars are equipped with computers that collect massive amounts of data,” said Khaliah Barnes of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a Washington-based consumer group. “Without protections, it can lead to all kinds of abuse.”

What’s more, consumer advocates say, government officials have yet to provide consistent guidelines on how the data should be used.

“There are no clear standards that say, this is a permissible use of the data and this is not,” Ms. Barnes told the NY Times.
Of course, we could trust that government would not invade our privacy if we believed that the National Security Administration never spied on U.S. citizens, international allies and members of Congress. ...Or that the IRS never 'targeted' certain citizens because of their political leanings.

Proof once again that ignorance is bliss.
Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/NHTSA-s-R...eCDj5MUPJVfy.99
Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/NHTSA-s-R...eCDj5MUPJVfy.99

Regards,
hm

The NHTSA pushed this legislation at the behest of insurance companies... having this data and being allowed to use it, gives them the ability to determine if you were maybe breaking any laws that might forgive them of paying a claim. For instance, if you were speeding at the time you were involved in an accident, they wouldn't necessarily be held liable. Their attorney could use the argument that you were driving to fast to negotiate the curve, stop in time to avoid the accident, prevent rollover when you left the road.

Would that ever happen??? Actually... yeah, it does happen routinely. I know a gentleman who it happened to in Florida. His soon to be ex-wife was driving a vehicle registered in his company's name, and she was exceeding the speed limit when a vehicle pulled out in front of her. She struck the other vehicle and rolled hers. Didn't look good for the other driver until they pulled the black box data and found she was doing 80 in a 65 speed zone, then the gentleman came a gnat's [beeep] of losing his business because the vehicle was still registered in his company's name. It took SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS to explain he was not liable in court.

"The trouble is that we've got to trust our government to do the right thing and use the information the boxes yield exclusively for the purpose of identifying how a crash occurred. "

If this was to benefit insurance companies only, then it should lower my rates... But why would the government push for something to benefit private insurance companies if they got nothing out of the deal? I wonder if these will have voice recorders... I do not trust our government to do the right things... Just like cell phones... They can subpoena records to triangulate pings to put criminals at the scene of a crime at a certain time... This is very common in homicide investigations but they don't stop at that... Sad day when you drive knowing you are being recorder and monitored... As teenagers we could drive a young lady out into the country...alone... Stare at the stars, drink, talk and take it to the next level... Now it would be like you have a third person out there who never says anything... Makes the situation seem weird... Unless your into that sort of thing...

With On-Star that is in fact the case infidel. Someone always knows where you're at there. To what extent other vehicles can be tracked I honestly don't know. If they have built in GPS, I would assume the communications signal with the satellite can be tracked. Those that allow you to blue tooth your phone through the car's computer system, or have built in communications systems, are obviously transmitting data if you're on the phone, that however raises the question of; what data are they transmitting the remainder of the time?

GPS tracking devices are extremely accurate, have one of those that I purchased trying to catch a bee thief, and playing with it I was able to pinpoint where the vehicle was within a half mile, which direction it was headed, how fast it was going, where it stopped, how long it was stopped, track the route taken, everything. The guy driving it around was amazed.

Thus far I don't believe there is any voice recording going on in vehicles, what the black box records is what the vehicle's speed was for the last however many miles, maximum speed the vehicle has seen, I would think drive time might be a factor looked at in there to determine if the driver were exhausted by the wheel, whether brakes are applied at time of crash, how long they have been applied, how hard they were applied, and other such things. Throttle position sensor readings are likely, to see if you let off the gas when you applied the brakes. And, I'm sure, an assortment of other goodies related to vehicle and driver performance.

Back in the 80s when I worked at the local gas station I was blessed with attending all the classes on the new fangled automotive electronics that was coming out at the time, since the boss wanted nothing to do with it, so I am at least a little familiar with what was going on when these things first hit the scene. I just recently purchased a scan tool to look at fault codes on a company truck, because what the dealer was telling us was not necessarily jiving with what we were finding prior to taking it to the dealer for repairs. And, I'm gonna tell you guys, the information these things spit out in this day and age, is downright spooky!!! Not to mention this scan tool can be set up to record trip data, so that you can go out and drive the vehicle, then come back and look at charts and graphs recorded during your trip to see where performance issues occured, without having to worry about it behind the wheel.

The cost of the newer scan tools is amazing as well, I paid just a little more for a scan tool to read all major manufacturers in the US, most of them in Japan, and nearly all of them in Europe, for just slightly more than we paid for the cartridges for each individual manufacturer for our scan tool back in the 80s. As of 1996 all vehicles manufactured for use in the US were required to be ODB II compliant. Many manufactured for use overseas are likewise. As such they all speak the same language, although they may read different parameters. I downloaded drivers for about 40 - 50 major manufacturers off the net in a matter of minutes, and installed them, and I can read anything from a 96 Ford 1 ton diesel to a 2014 Ferrari. It is like, really cool!!

I've got a car with OnSat. Of course I would have to PAY to use it but that wouldn't prevent any government agency from spending my tax dollars to spy on me. Maybe the sun wiping out all electronics one planet would be a good thing.

Rumor has it that an anonymous southern state has been monitoring black boxes in all SUV's involved in rollovers in the state. They have discovered that the last words uttered by drivers of said vehicles prior to the crash was, "Hold my beer and watch this."
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Most of the new vehicles already have this. My F150 at certain mileage try's to send a vehicle health report and drives you nuts and won't stop asking until you do.
Then i get phone calls and emails about how they can service my vehicle.

There are states that have liberals that want to institute a mileage tax. It why the government is so keen to do this, because in addition to all the other taxes they want to tax people for the miles they drive as well. Despite gathering a Gas tax and a registration tax.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZMost of the new vehicles already have this. My F150 at certain mileage try's to send a vehicle health report and drives you nuts and won't stop asking until you do.
Then i get phone calls and emails about how they can service my vehicle.

There are states that have liberals that want to institute a mileage tax. It why the government is so keen to do this, because in addition to all the other taxes they want to tax people for the miles they drive as well. Despite gathering a Gas tax and a registration tax.

I believe you got it there in regards to why the Government is wanting this. More taxes and probably a kickback from the Insurance Companies.

This stuff is minor... by 2016 GM is supposed to have a car on the road that will drive itself.

Quote:GM to Offer Car That Will Almost Drive Itself

TIME Video | Associated Press | Sept. 8, 2014

Talking cars are no longer a thing of the future

(DETROIT) — General Motors says that in two years it will offer cars that talk to each other and can almost drive themselves at freeway speeds.

The company announced Sunday that the semi-autonomous freeway system called “Super Cruise” will be an option on a new Cadillac that goes on sale in the summer of 2016. The company also plans to put vehicle-to-vehicle transmitters and receivers on all Cadillac CTS models during the same time frame.

The announcements were made at the start of an intelligent vehicle conference in Detroit.

GM CEO Mary Barra says the system would allow you to drive long distances with the car doing much of the work. But GM says it’s working on a system to make sure that drivers still pay attention.

http://time.com/3306296/general-motors-self-driving-car/

Video at the link...

And, that would be what's next hm!

You know these things that suck your money up at the drive thru at the bank. Imagine an interstate of tubes that can go so fast the G force is hard to deal with. Computer managed tubes at on ramps. When an opening comes up,swish,your gone. No more wrecks.No more cars. No more carbon emissions. Just one big azz vacuum pump somewhere. Just get in your pellet shaped sealed carrier and hold on. When you reach your off ramp the computer just pops you out and into the next tube for the local destination. Local will run much slower,only 2 or 3 hundred miles per hour.

You know these things that suck your money up at the drive thru at the bank. Imagine an interstate of tubes that can go so fast the G force is hard to deal with. Computer managed tubes at on ramps. When an opening comes up,swish,your gone. No more wrecks.No more cars. No more carbon emissions. Just one big azz vacuum pump somewhere. Just get in your pellet shaped sealed carrier and hold on. When you reach your off ramp the computer just pops you out and into the next tube for the local destination. Local will run much slower,only 2 or 3 hundred miles per hour.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1This stuff is minor... by 2016 GM is supposed to have a car on the road that will drive itself.

Quote:GM to Offer Car That Will Almost Drive Itself

TIME Video | Associated Press | Sept. 8, 2014

Talking cars are no longer a thing of the future

(DETROIT) — General Motors says that in two years it will offer cars that talk to each other and can almost drive themselves at freeway speeds.

The company announced Sunday that the semi-autonomous freeway system called “Super Cruise” will be an option on a new Cadillac that goes on sale in the summer of 2016. The company also plans to put vehicle-to-vehicle transmitters and receivers on all Cadillac CTS models during the same time frame.

The announcements were made at the start of an intelligent vehicle conference in Detroit.

GM CEO Mary Barra says the system would allow you to drive long distances with the car doing much of the work. But GM says it’s working on a system to make sure that drivers still pay attention.

http://time.com/3306296/general-motors-self-driving-car/

Video at the link...

And, that would be what's next hm!

Self driving cars are actually the 1st step to flying cars. Right now people are dumb in 2 dimensions, you need something to take care of itself before you give them a 3rd.

Originally Posted By: seeknulfind Maybe the sun wiping out all electronics one planet would be a good thing.

Actually ... going back to the stone age doesn't appeal to me.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: tnshootistYou know these things that suck your money up at the drive thru at the bank. Imagine an interstate of tubes that can go so fast the G force is hard to deal with. Computer managed tubes at on ramps. When an opening comes up,swish,your gone. No more wrecks.No more cars. No more carbon emissions. Just one big azz vacuum pump somewhere. Just get in your pellet shaped sealed carrier and hold on. When you reach your off ramp the computer just pops you out and into the next tube for the local destination. Local will run much slower,only 2 or 3 hundred miles per hour.

I like this idea... You could also instal magnets in bumpers that would create a repulsion force to keep cars from crashing into each other... Engineers would have to work out a way to keep all the magnets on the same poles so they always repel...

Originally Posted By: tnshootistYou know these things that suck your money up at the drive thru at the bank. Imagine an interstate of tubes that can go so fast the G force is hard to deal with. Computer managed tubes at on ramps. When an opening comes up,swish,your gone. No more wrecks.No more cars. No more carbon emissions. Just one big azz vacuum pump somewhere. Just get in your pellet shaped sealed carrier and hold on. When you reach your off ramp the computer just pops you out and into the next tube for the local destination. Local will run much slower,only 2 or 3 hundred miles per hour.

Uh, will there be room for my guns and ammo in the tube?

Every thing I think of somebody has already done it. I invented a new kind of rifling once. A barrel builder friend thought about it and built a barrel like my idea. It shot good. Then we found out somebody did the same thing 150 years ago.

Back