Best investment - high quality LED lights or digital night vision???

BuckeyeScott

Saved and little coin up in plans of improving my coyote hunting this year and wanted your opinion on which is the better investment. My budget doesn’t allow for thousands of dollars for top of the line night vision without causing a divorce, but I can swing the cost of either top shelf LED lighting or digital night vision devices.

I’d like to avoid territorial ground of which brands are best. There’s lots of discussion of this subject already posted on PM forums. My question is more about comparing LED lighting to digital night vision. Which is better for coyote hunting?

I have experience using lights, but none with digital night vision. After researching digital night vision devices I’m really tempted to give them a try, but I’m worried I’ll be disappointed their image quality. I already have invested in quality rifle scopes so the LED route seems logically, but the digital night vision with a quality IR looks promising also. Based on your experience, what would you do?

Originally Posted By: family guyBuy a used thermo for scanning and a led for shooting.
thumbup1.gif
well said

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnOriginally Posted By: family guyBuy a used thermo for scanning and a led for shooting.
thumbup1.gif
well said

just gave the same advice to another member.

but keep in mind you will be jumping to NV shortly after and may soon be divorced anyway so ?

Buckeye,

We picked up a line of digital NV devices this summer in an attempt to appeal to hunters such as yourself who cannot afford to (or will be divorced if you do) spend several thousand dollars on high end NV or thermal devices. IMO these units perform pretty well.....and in some cases out to 300 yards if equiped with more powerful external IR devices. Cabels, Bass Pro, Midway USA have been selling these for awhile now and most customer reviews I have looked at are very favorable. They will not get you the range and clarity of a good Gen 3 NV device but will exceed Gen 1 and some Gen 2 stuff out there. IMO these devices will easily get you in the night hunting game.

We field tested the Pulsar Digisights, the Sightmark Photons, and the Pulsar Forward DN55 (a clip-on device) and you can visually see the results for yourself here:

Pulsar Digisight N750:
Pulsar Digisight N550A:
Pulsar Forward DN55:
Sightmark Photon 3.5x X 42:

Sightmark also makes a 6.5 x 50mm Photon XT that we will hopefully have in stock within the next couple of weeks. If you are interested in any of these devices please let me know ASAP and I will get your name on the ones I currently have on our PO. I think it might be difficult to keep these on the shelf. Click on the link below and check out our competitive prices and package deals: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/category-s/63.htm

Kevin

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneOriginally Posted By: Loggers InnOriginally Posted By: family guyBuy a used thermo for scanning and a led for shooting.
thumbup1.gif
well said

just gave the same advice to another member.

but keep in mind you will be jumping to NV shortly after and may soon be divorced anyway so ?

LOL! Impactzone, how true you are. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know I'll be living like Bill Murray in Caddyshack, but at least I will have NV to dispatch the gopher.

I did a little searching for used thermals after reading Familyguy's post, but so far no luck. Maybe I should just be patient and bank some more cash for better quality.

I saw the hightechredneck videos Kevin and was impressed. That may be the best option.

Appreciate your options men, thanks!

I have a few of Kevin's as well as Vic's and I live alone in a trailer, just me the dog and all the NV gear, as well as a few rifles. a man just has to have priority's and well you just can't go out and rent NV gear for the weekend.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51For scanning,,Look for a Flir 32.
avoid the Flir 24.

Why avoid the Ps24? What problems have you had with yours?

Back