bdc vs mildot vs turrets

I was talking about this one. im still been looking and figuring and Im still lost.
IMG_0698.jpg

It's on this 22 BR XP-100 PD/Comp. rig only--

IMG_0634.jpg

It's a 24x Leupold BR-D that's been converted to LER by Wally Siebert, with a Gene Davis 35% power booster, and had TK Lee install the dot system. Sight in for the upper center dot for 200 yds. and apply it the same as any repeating interval reticle system. With .25 MOA clicks i can either run the turret to a dot and apply windage via reticle only or just use the reticle on it's own when no windage is needed.

Mil dots are nice for ranging and turrets for a little extra range. The math is easy if your hunting yotes or deer. Deer belly to back = 18", Yote foot to back = 19".

18" x 27.778 = 500.004. Since you critter size doesn't change you don't have to calculate that one again in the field. next divide that number by the number of mil dots covering the yote or deer. If it is 5 dots he is 100 yards away. If he is one dot he is 500 yards away.

After you play with the dots and learn the dot size and spacing you can range pretty darn close with the dots.

Just remember the Mil dots are milRads which is an angle so one dot is 3.6" at 100 yards and is 36" at 1000. If you're using a SFP scope you need to do you ranging on whichever setting the manufacture tells you. If you have a scope with a FFP retical you can range at any power setting.

Get use to the dot and it will be hard to use anything else.

Last edited:
U can use any reticle subtension in the "mil-ranging formula." For the custom 3 MOA reticle noted above it would be this equation--

tgt. size (") x 100/ 3.142 / "mil-reading" = range (yds.)

MilDot...allows you to compensate for holdover, wind drift, & moving targets. Additionally acts as a rangefinder. with that being said, you have to really study & practice with the mildot so that it becomes second nature to you. There is math involved but it isn't that hard. My first 4 years in the Marine Corps was spent as a machinegunner and mils were a way of life for us. I am really comfortable using mils & mildot scopes. Mils are also used all the time for foward observing and adjusting indirect mortar and artillery fire. We still use them today in the Military.

Again, it has to become second nature to you because a coyote on the run or any type game will usually be on the move or give you limited exposure time. If you are calculating a bunch of different formulas when you see the animal, then they are likely to be long gone by the time you have made your final calculation.

A trick you can do is to set up in your hide, stand, etc... and essentially make a range card. Pick out certian terrain features w/n your fields of fire, pick out the games most likely avenue of approach, do your calculations in advance, make a quick cheat sheet, & then start your calling or whatever you are doing to get the game you are after. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: REDTAILI am not a fan of the Mil dot Reticles I like the good old Duplex,? Or the Cross Hair,? For Varmint & Deer Hunting etc.

I agree for deer. Sight in with max point blank range with most deer cartridges and you're good. "Minute of Deer" accuracy works.

Never quite understood the argument that bdc systems limit ammo choices. They limit your power selection on variable scopes, ammo is not limited. Example the 400 yard circle or cross or dot may have a poi of 386 yards this still gives you reference that is better than a single crosshair that could have a poi 300 yards short of the target. Use what you are comfortable with and practice on targets and do not take shots past your ability.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootNever quite understood the argument that bdc systems limit ammo choices. They limit your power selection on variable scopes, ammo is not limited. Example the 400 yard circle or cross or dot may have a poi of 386 yards this still gives you reference that is better than a single crosshair that could have a poi 300 yards short of the target. Use what you are comfortable with and practice on targets and do not take shots past your ability.

Which is just another reason people buy factory ammo, and a BDC and think they are now capable of mid to LR shots by simply using the reticle matched with the grain of bullet that is supposed to be used...
Mil dots "had" their place, and they still "have" their place, but if you plan on ranging an animal with a mil dot ret. and making a legit connection at mid to long range, you've got another thing coming (not everyone is skilled enough to measure correctly and comprehend the math to make windage and elevation adjustments, and still have the animal at the same range or area code before you finish up), some of the most skilled shooters still have minor inconsistencies in measurement that results in a large error... There are many new reticles (GAP2, H59, EBR2b, etc. that will help with hold over and windage to much greater precision than the "BDC".
Once again IMHO, the most precise shot you can take is one that you are skilled for, dialing is your best bet, but then its your job to calibrate the click value, or spend the extra funds on an optic that is proven to have precise adjustment values, and that's just the beginning... I would personally save up for an optic that has the same unit of measurement Mil turrets/ Mil reticle, or MOA/MOA, and last but not least shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Originally Posted By: skinneyspend the extra funds on an optic that is proven to have precise adjustment values, and that's just the beginning... I would personally save up for an optic that has the same unit of measurement Mil turrets/ Mil reticle, or MOA/MOA, and last but not least shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Nail on the head!

I've never understood why they even make MOA/MIL or MIL/MOA scopes. Also the typical Mil-Dot reticle is WAY too course in hunting/percision target application. It works OK on man sized targets, but a coyote is not 30" deep. There are soo many better reticles available today.

For really small stuff, nothing is better than turning turrets. For 1 MOA+ size targets nothing is quicker than a good reticle. I believe you need (at most) twice the target size (or preferably tighter) stadia for good holdover. I much prefer a consistant granulation v/s estimated drop spot (if you really knoow your rifle consistant marks are SOOOO much more helpful). When ranging, the tighter the stadia the better for consistant reads, you don't want to be quessing were half or quarter is... (and if it's really far even 1/8th).

As far as MIL or MOA. It's just Radian (metric) or Degrees (english). Same difference as meters v/s yards. The math is very similar, just using different constants. Truthfully the metric system is easier but most guys still try to convert back to inches & yards & make it even harder. Pick one & stay with it. Like Skinny said SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT & SHOOT some more. Toss the BDC crap, learn your system & it gets easy.

A good range finder and a custom turret for your scope and a plain old cross hair for me. Oooooo but some will say if you change your load then your turret is no good that's why I have gone with custom turret wraps all made in yards at 25 yd increments. Range and dial. I have become very very good at this out to and just over 500yds I don't take shots quite past that because I'm not comfortable I think I could I just don't practice that far.

The bdc reticles are a joke I bought into them and saw what kind of junk and gimmick they are they will not be or ever will be as precise as dialing a shot

You can like MIL/DOT's or not. If you are trained to use them you will love them, just because they work. I was trained at 29 Palms so they are not a problem for me. My newest scope is a Zeiss with a Z800 reticle and I uses Strelok on my phone.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

You can like MIL/DOT's or not. If you are trained to use them you will love them, just because they work.

And if you use that training with stadia that is more fine/closer than mid-dots you will find your readings & holdover much more percise & will no longer love mil-dots.
tt2.gif

Back