52 gr AMax on coyotes and deer.

varmit_master

I got my 22 250 to shoot a 5 shot group u can easy cover with a dime with RL15. How do ya think the 52 gr a max would work on game. I have killed deer with 52 and 53 gr sierra match bullets. The a max won't act like a FMj will they? I want to use them on coyotes to. Please let me know what ya think.

I think you would be just fine on coyotes, but I am not so sure about deer; might be a little to frangible to consistently make the vitals.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI got my 22 250 to shoot a 5 shot group u can easy cover with a dime with RL15. How do ya think the 52 gr a max would work on game. I have killed deer with 52 and 53 gr sierra match bullets. The a max won't act like a FMj will they? I want to use them on coyotes to. Please let me know what ya think.

Definitely not a deer bullet - they are very fragile and will not reach the vitals. You will spend the rest of your life tracking wounded deer...

I guess I am getting old but...I can't for the life of me figure why people keep wanting to use bullets for something they weren't intended for. Get the proper bullets for your game and be done with It!!

Originally Posted By: CatShooterthey are very fragile and will not reach the vitals. You will spend the rest of your life tracking wounded deer...

the goverment needs you working hard and paying taxes not chasing wounded deer. thank you.

I use them on coyotes to great effect, very poor deer bullet though as they are very fragile as has been said. They penetrate the skin of a coyote and then explode into a thousand tiny pieces, which works for coyotes and such but at least in my experience they release their energy very rapidly and penetration ends quickly.

A better crossover bullet is the Sierra Gameking.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidI guess I am getting old but...I can't for the life of me figure why people keep wanting to use bullets for something they weren't intended for. Get the proper bullets for your game and be done with It!! I mite be too but I have killed many deer with a 52 gr hpbt match . I have killed will over a 100+ deer in my 42 yrs on on being on the earth .one day I may learn. But I was asking one of the hornady reload techs said they would. I have never shot any type of a max. Wanted to asked if someone had heard if them being used.

The A-Max and V-Max are intended as Varmint bullets, much like the old Super Explosive ones that Hornady used to manufacture, except they don't have the velocity limitations that the SEs had...

If you want a good deer round in that weight class, look into the Sierra Game Kings or some of the Speer line...

I bought 2000 2nds 55 gr gamekings from powder valley a while back. I bought some of the old hornady 50 gr spsx yrs ago. I just bought them for the old box thanks.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

Definitely not a deer bullet - they are very fragile and will not reach the vitals. You will spend the rest of your life tracking wounded deer...

While I nearly always agree with Cat (not just cause most are scared too publicly disagree, but, because he's usually right
lol.gif
). However, I'm going to have to offer a different opinion/experience this time.

As stated the a-max is a pretty fragile bullet. It does react very similar to the V-max (you won't have to worry about FMJ type performance) but they are not designed exactly the same (voids/tip are different). While I have not personally killed deer with the 52gr A-max, I have killed several with the 105 & 123 Amax's and they work wonderfully. I realize the weight difference could be helping with a lot of that, but I have also killed a good number of deer with the 55gr Vmax (more "explosive") and have yet to spend over 5 minutes looking for one, much less a lifetime (have yet to have one go farther than 60 yards). If that's not enough EXPERIENCE I'll add the small number of deer (under 10) I have killed with the 50gr & even the 40gr vmax. Even further, I have killed even many more with the 65gr, 75gr & 87gr vmax in 6mm (even shooting shoulders with the 87gr at times); never a problem. I wouldn't want to try to break heavy bone (ribs are not heavy bone) & would stay away from the shoulder, but with "Bowstyle" broadside shots the little "SUPER EXPLOSIVE" bullets will do just fine.

Yes there are much better options for all-around deer hunting. However, if you MAKE & TAKE good shots on broadside deer (this means passing on non-perfect opportunities), you'll not be left wanting more.

In my experience a Varmint bullet into the rib cage will put a deer down hard and fast. I've killed alot of deer with 6mm 75 grain and 6.8mm 110 grain Vmax. But some people don't have the patience to wait on a good broadside shot..

The 22 cal a-max will blow up fast, i have compared them to a v-max, but they do shoot good. Like someone said i like hornady sp's for deer.

Back