103 hours without a cigarette .......

Strange, I quit 42 years ago on my 21st birthday. I think after a month I never desired one again. It may have been watching my favorite uncle wasting away to nothing that did it.

I've been quit for a year and nine months. Once you get past the initial shock it's all about mind over matter or at least it was for me. Habit smoking was by far the hardest especially if I was out for drinks or after supper etc. The best part to me has been the money saved.

My wife was a worse nicotine addict than I, she had attempted to quit several times to no avail. She found out she was pregnant with our first child, which was something that was a very painful long drawn out process for us, she threw her pack away and never gave it a second thought. Now she had an ulterior motive but the point is she quit.

My wife quit, I quit and you can quit. A little will power and a little faith and your golden
thumbup.gif
. It is also great to have support in the process.

I quit 14yrs ago this Thanksgiving. I also had to quit drinking beer, coffee, and sweet tea. They were major triggers. I still have the craving for one but it seems to pass quickly.
Keep your hands busy.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoAs of 1:30pm EST today (Friday) I have gone 77 hours without a cigarette. I've smoked off and on for 45 years. This has got to be the most frustrating thing that I have ever attempted. I am, however, cheating a little. I've got the VOLT e-cig that I bought about a year ago when I was going to quit, and I'm nursing it a little as is needed. Interesting enough, I actually go for several hours without wanting/needing to smoke, so maybe I can pull this off. Cardiologist says I have to quit, so I gotta get this done. If I could quit drinking coffee, eating, and driving this would be easy.

Anyone else quit lately? Any tips?
I had quit for five months with the help of a e-cig. The first week with the e-cig, I still smoked some then quit the reg cigs. Five months later I left the house in the morning to attend my Father-In-Laws Funeral, and forgot the e-cig. In the late afternoon at a family gathering and some food, three family members went out to light up, and I thought it would be easy enough to have just one.
Big mistake.
My tip is to keep up with that e-cig, and under no circumstances think you can just have a smoke or two along the way.
Best of luck to you.
I sure miss saving that near $5.00 a day by not smoking, that includes the cost of e-cig supplies.
Plus, while I`m fairly certain that the e-cigs are not totally harmless to one`s health, I think they are much better than a smoke.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI quit 5 years ago on the 24th of this month which is the day after my birthday. Its also the same day my mom told me she had lung cancer.

It gets easier as time goes on. That first couple weeks was the hardest. If your friends are good friends.... They should respect your decision and not smoke in front of you.

If you think your lungs are better now, give it a few months and your sense of smell and taste will come back, that's when food tastes much better. I don't get sick as often and when I do, I seem to get over it faster. I don't cough and hack for no apparent reason now either. So many things are different.

After 20 years of smoking, I'm repulsed by the stench of it today. One can't imagine how bad your clothes stink until they've quit long enough to notice it on others that still smoke. You can smell it on someone just walking by them in a store. The worst part is knowing that you used to stink like that.

Its a [beeep]... But stick with it. Its by far the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Same here after smoking for 30+ years I just quit cold turkey and have never had the urge to smoke again, I can't stand the smell of it either.
It's not easy but it is the best thing you can do for yourself

I quit 8 years ago, after 25+ years of smoking. I did the cold turkey method and it was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. Smokers around me don't really bother me too much except in a closed room. I won't touch those nasty things even though I still occasionally get the urge.

Watch your diet, I foolishly gained a lot of weight after quitting and it is a real challenge to get it off.

best advice i can give.......... never again say "i'm gonna just have one" to see what its like.

congrats Hidalgo. it can be a tough road ahead but you've already made it through the worst time period.

Congrats. It's a tough battle. I quit feb 4 2011 cold turkey and haven't touched one since. I can't stand to be around em now.

I quit over 40 years ago and could start again in a second. I still love to stand downwind from somebody smoking. The desire never goes away completely, but only hits occasionally.

Jack

I find it interesting that we can argue about a caliber, or make of a gun, truck or caller, but when a memeber posts that he's trying to quit smoking, there's nothing but support for them.

Keep going, you are heading in the right direction.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI find it interesting that we can argue about a caliber, or make of a gun, truck or caller, but when a memeber posts that he's trying to quit smoking, there's nothing but support for them.

Keep going, you are heading in the right direction.
thumbup.gif

lol i thought that same thing.. Maybe it's like a big family.. You will beat each other into the dirt over who did dishes last.. But be there without question for each other in the time of need. ??

Stay strong! It gets a little tougher before it gets any easier.

Ironically, 2:15pm today marked exactly 11 months for me. Last year, after stumbling onto the Copenhagen thread on here, I decided I was done. I threw my can of Skoal away, and haven't touched it since. It's not easy, but if your mind is made up, you can do it. 90% of it is mental. The first couple of weeks wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. A couple headaches, maybe a little grouchy some days, but it went away. About 3 - 4 months into it is when I really started getting the bad cravings. That lasted a couple weeks, and faded out. I'll get cravings for it every once in a while, usually while hunting, fishing, or hanging out with my buddies that dip snuff. It would be easy for me to get right back into that habit. But, I'm done with it! Like Chupa said to me, you don't have to quit for the rest of your life, you just have to quit for today.

I tried several times over the years to quit. Half heartedly... Cold turkey was the best route for me, but your mind has to be made up! I tried the gum, patches, Chantix, etc. Chantix will make you go crazy! When I questioned my doctor if it would help me quit snuff, he said sure. But he forgot to tell me that it would cause excessively weird dreams, and vivid nightmares. I had to keep using snuff to stay awake the next day, because the weird stuff going on in my head when I slept while on it. I was afraid to go to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night one night, soaked in sweat, and took every picture in the house off the walls, and put them in a box. They were out to get me! I've talked to several people who swear they had no side effects, and it worked great for them. It about drove me insane! I gave up on it after 6 days.

Like I said earlier. Don't worry about next month, next week, or even tomorrow. Just quit for today.

Take that $3 - $5 you'd be spending on smokes everyday and put it in a jar. It adds up fast. When you hit 12 months, take that $1,500 bucks out and buy yourself a nice little present.

I quit way back when my beloved Marlboro's were a quarter a pack. I spent a buck on 100 pieces of Double Bubble and chewed that gum until my jaws were sore. After the USN I dabbled with them a couple of times, but by then they didn't agree with me and it was easy to quit again. I haven't smoked a cig since the mid seventies.

Hang in there, the pay off is well worth it. (Especially at today's prices!)

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI find it interesting that we can argue about a caliber, or make of a gun, truck or caller, but when a member posts that he's trying to quit smoking, there's nothing but support for them.

Kinda reminds you why we like to come here, huh?
thumbup1.gif

There has always been support here, but it does seem to have waned a tiny bit recently. I can remember years ago the threads asking for prayers and support that went on for 15 pages or more.

Oh ... and a large THANK YOU to everyone for their support. I think I'm over the bad part now.
thumbup.gif

that's what you think LOL

there will be more cravings but generally further apart and not as strong. Until the day comes when one hits you like a dump truck. For me, it was just over 3 moths in. It too will pass quickly
wink.gif

I started that habit when I was 14 years old and quit almost four years ago, I was 38. It gets easier so hang in there and don't give in to temptation! I did the math of how much I spent over the years and it seriously pissed me off that I gave up that much money for something that was essentially doing me harm. Good luck to ya and it'll be one of the best things you can do for yourself!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: RedfrogI find it interesting that we can argue about a caliber, or make of a gun, truck or caller, but when a member posts that he's trying to quit smoking, there's nothing but support for them.

Kinda reminds you why we like to come here, huh?
thumbup1.gif

There has always been support here, but it does seem to have waned a tiny bit recently. I can remember years ago the threads asking for prayers and support that went on for 15 pages or more.

Oh ... and a large THANK YOU to everyone for their support. I think I'm over the bad part now.
thumbup.gif

You are over the bad part... The want for it with morning coffee stayed with me the longest but it has since left me with time... the nicotine is out of your system so now it is just a mental thing... When you go to the river for your morning coffee, thank God for giving you the strength to make it this far...

Hear you about the morning coffee, that or a diet coke.
I think in my case, and how I felt at the time, that the second week with the e-cig would have been the best time to just ditch the thing and be done with them altogether.

The e-cig thing is nothing but a crutch. It supports the habit in general and does nothing to help you break it. Sure... Your not actually "smoking" but your still doing the routine. Still taking that smoke time, still sitting down with a coffee for a smoke. Still putting something in your hands and pretending to smoke. Bad deal, it might make things seem easier in the beginning but really its going to make it harder in the long run because its now another, a second habit you have to beat.

Back