What's the best bang for your buck nightvision scope these days?

case-nh

Would like some opinions, options on the best night vision for your money these days. Think I have heard that some have recently come down in price. Thanks.

My guess is you could get better information if you broke your question down into segments of the market:

Low end < $1000
Mid range >= $1000, but < $2000
High end >=$2000

[pick your own definitions of low/med/high]

There are also many configurations to choose from, so what set up are you considering? For example, some guys use the FLIR PS-32 for scanning and a high power white light for PID/kill. Others use helmet mounted NV and IR lasers. High end guys use PS-32 (or more) to scan and PVS-14 + 3x multiplier behind a NV Eotech. Other high end guys use CONV (clip on night vision).

There are some new(er) thermal scopes from FLIR that are significantly less expensive (bang for buck) than similarly capable thermals just a few years ago, e.g., FLIR RS-32.

Sendit

Best night vision for your money would eliminate digital night vision. Gen 3 = Best. In Gen3 there are several players. if you want magnification you will be topped out at 6X with a dedicated scope. Raptor, D760 and Aguila are the three major players. If I were buying, I would buy the Raptor. Nothing else touches it.

Clip on you can double or triple the price and the magnification.

Was thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

A used raptor will run 3500-5500. Used clip ons start at 5500 and go to over 10,000. All my flir is new all my Gen 3 has been used. Great deals in the used market.

Originally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Contrary to other's opinions on this website, you don't have to spend 5 to 10K to get into the NV hunting game. There are several good digital NV devices out there that will allow you to take predators out to 300 yards. Check out the customer reviews at Midway USA, Bass Pro, and Cabelas who have been selling these digital NV scopes for quite a few years now. By the way, most shots average 100 to 200 yards anyhow so you don't need a Raptor or a high end Gen 3 device or thermal to enjoy hunting with NV. You can check out our beginner's options here:
http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/HTRN-Beginner-Night-Vision-Hunter-Package-p/nvpd1000.htm

If you want to spend more and have greater versatility we also have our signature series scopes available here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/day-night-rifle-scopes-s/2.htm

We GUARANTEE you will be satisfied with your purchase or you can return it WITH NO RESTOCKING CHARGES WHATSOEVER. There are very few NV dealers out there that offer this option. Maybe it is because we at HTRN have tried all of our NV products out and we know that they will work as advertised. I would avoid taking advice from those that claim you need to spend 10K to enjoy this sport.....it is simply not true. Do you need a 416 Weatherby to stop a rabbit?? Same concept goes for NV. Kevin

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Originally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Contrary to other's opinions on this website, you don't have to spend 5 to 10K to get into the NV hunting game. There are several good digital NV devices out there that will allow you to take predators out to 300 yards. Check out the customer reviews at Midway USA, Bass Pro, and Cabelas who have been selling these digital NV scopes for quite a few years now. By the way, most shots average 100 to 200 yards anyhow so you don't need a Raptor or a high end Gen 3 device or thermal to enjoy hunting with NV. You can check out our beginner's options here:
http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/HTRN-Beginner-Night-Vision-Hunter-Package-p/nvpd1000.htm

If you want to spend more and have greater versatility we also have our signature series scopes available here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/day-night-rifle-scopes-s/2.htm

We GUARANTEE you will be satisfied with your purchase or you can return it WITH NO RESTOCKING CHARGES WHATSOEVER. There are very few NV dealers out there that offer this option. Maybe it is because we at HTRN have tried all of our NV products out and we know that they will work as advertised. I would avoid taking advice from those that claim you need to spend 10K to enjoy this sport.....it is simply not true. Do you need a 416 Weatherby to stop a rabbit?? Same concept goes for NV. Kevin

No, you don't HAVE TO but the Question was best for the money.

Ask anyone here that uses Gen 3 how much money they wasted before they got there. 2-3k, get a dedicated Gen 3 scope. If you want a pvs14 mounted to the rear of your day scope, I have a mount I will sell you for half price.

Originally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Another VERY good option and one of the best bang for your buck for TRUE NV that you can ID clearly at 100 yards without active illumination which is always needed when it's dark out there with digital. Our M845 is very well received for many hunters. These units are that good and I cannot say enough about them over the years for hunters on a budget. They are close to Gen 3 without the Gen 3 price and clearly beat down any digital device on the planet.

http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-1-5x-gen2-shp-red-dot-night-vision-rifle-scope/

http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-mk-4-2-5x-gen2-shp-red-dot-sight/

Please PM me and I would happy to talk many details on this line of NV scopes.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Another VERY good option and one of the best bang for your buck for TRUE NV that you can ID clearly at 100 yards without active illumination which is always needed when it's dark out there with digital. Our M845 is very well received for many hunters. These units are that good and I cannot say enough about them over the years for hunters on a budget. They are close to Gen 3 without the Gen 3 price and clearly beat down any digital device on the planet.

Vic

Vic, why not this one? Gen 3 and right in the middle of his budget. Not great magnification but good scope.
http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-mk-4-2-8x-gen3-shp-red-dot-sight/

My definition of "best for the money" is the least expensive unit that will get the job done. Unfortunately there are lots of cheaper units out there that can't do the job and that is what most people end up wasting their money on. Many of the less expensive digital NV devices will do the job on predators and hogs at close range and out to 200 or 300 yards (where 90% of your shots are going to be). For example, the Sightmark Photon in 3.5x X 42mm out fitted with our LLTL-007 will get you close to 300 yards on coyotes for less than $1K. You can see our field review of it here for yourself:

Sightmark is currently replacing this model with the improved Photon XT S which will have Higher Magnification - 4.6x42, Higher 640x480 resolution, Longer Detection Ranges, 33% Longer Battery Life, 6 Reticle options, and 30% Lighter Weight. Best of all....the price of these new units will remain unchanged. So, if your definition of "best for the money" is the least expensive that will get the job done then check out our line of Pulsar and Sightmark digital NV riflescopes.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorOriginally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Vic

Vic, why not this one? Gen 3 and right in the middle of his budget. Not great magnification but good scope.
http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-mk-4-2-8x-gen3-shp-red-dot-sight/

Thank you and also a good deal, I was just trying to show a few choices for folks on tight budget which I understand for under the 2K mark.
smile.gif

DO NOT BUY THIS ONE -
Review Results: Armasight C0-MR-QS-MG

DISMAL. A DOT NOT BUY scope...........IMO
Target: My Shockwave w/decoy tail on it.
1st at 50 yards.
2nd at 80 yards.

I was able to get the unit out last night calling.
Reset it up at dark 30, No moon yet.
Checked it at 50 yards, nice & sharp BUT not nearly as clear as it was when I pre set it up on the gun in my basement.
I had to readjust the IR and when on I can make out my target clearly.
With the IR off its hard to see clearly, but can still make it out.
View was pretty fuzzy

80 yards:
IR that is included w/the package is just about useless at 80 yards.
Yes it did illuminate, but just by a small margin. This was on high.
I had to refocus at 80 yards from my 50 yard setting, then I looked back at a 50 yard post and it was fuzzy.
If you have to focus for each range its not going to be good.
At 80 yards I can see my target pretty good after looking for it.
The scope view is not sharp/clear in this 2+ gen unit.
The IR that comes with it at 80yds is a joke...IMO.

Focus lever, Contrast, IR light are hard to make quick adjustments since you have to reach 2/3rd the way up the barrel to find in the dark, then try to adjust.
Focus lever is either in or out of focus, no in betweens.

Field review:
This cost me 2 coyotes Saturday night.
Full moon now.
I had 2 coyotes within 100 yards for 45 min.
I can see 1 perfectly at maybe 70 yards in my thermal sitting behind the call I have out at 37 steps. Looking in the scope and I cant see it at all, recheck my thermal and say its right there shoot.
Looking w/IR on...not a thing can be seen, no glowing eyes or body shape seen.
This is in a open turned field.
I tried to focus the scope on them, but that didn't help at all.
Coyote moves off and I fail to see it moving in the scope, dang it w/my d740 I would of had both shot by now.
Both dogs go into the hay field and I can barley see them in the thermal, but they are coming in closer.
They pop out at maybe 50 yards and big as day in my thermal.
I put the Armasight on them and NOPE, nothing can be seen with the IR on or off.
Im not a happy camper looking through the white phosphor scope at all.
They leave the area.

Side by side test:
D740 3rd gen+ NO comparison, D740 beat it like micheal jackson.
Armasight C0-MR-QS-MG....lost as bad as Obama runs his office.

I move and set up in a pasture and have cows at 100 yards.
OK so I test looking for them through the Armasight scope and w/the full moon out all I can see are fuzzy black spots that blend in with the hill side.
This 2nd gen+ white phosphorous unit is worthless again IMO.
Refocus did nothing to sharpen them out at all. Its like looking at a blank hill.
I toss up my d740 and they are perfectly seen, just like in the daylight with your eyes. I can count how many & can see the fence line, tall grasses, posts, gates & no focusing.
Put the Armasight up and see a bunch of nothing. I tried to refocus, nothing helps.
IR on & its not helping at all again.

Bottom line IMO buy a dedicated 3rg gen scope or 3rd gen clip on.
I would also have to say pass on a white phosphorus unit also.
Reported back to my pal and he is packing it all up and luckily they have a 30 day return policy so he can get a refund.

Kevin, when is the new Photon 4.6x42 expected to become available? Do I understand correctly that the price will be the same as the 3.5x?

Dave,
Jon here, not Kevin, but I saw on TexasBowHunters that Outdoor Legacy (sponsor there) got 2 sample 4.6 photons in last week and was expecting his first shipment in 30-60 days. Hopefully Kevin gets some about the same time as I'd like to buy one from one of the sponsors here!
thumbup.gif

Thanks Jon,

I'm anxious to hear reports about the 4.6x vs the 3.5x, resolution, clarity etc.

I have been waiting to hear about the new ATN X-Sight too, but seems it keeps getting pushed further and further into the future. A friend ordered one way back in January or February with word that it would be released within a few weeks. Makes me wonder if there have been some issues with it or what the hold up is.

I think the new digitals will fill a void for the average guy that can't afford high end scopes.

That average guy is me... At least until the student loans are paid off.
Look out night vision and thermal world... in 2028! Hahaha

Back